• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Incorrect License Plate Number on Speeding Citation

My wife got a speed ticket for doing 75 in a 65 on the freeway. She didn't think she was going that fast.

Both the citation and the notice we received in the mail has the incorrect license number on it.

We would normally just pay something like this, but I thought I would ask you more knowledgeable folks if there was an easy way to get this dismissed... or whatever?

My wife got a speed ticket for doing 75 in a 65 on the freeway. She didn't think she was going that fast.

Both the citation and the notice we received in the mail has the incorrect license number on it.

We would normally just pay something like this, but I thought I would ask you more knowledgeable folks if there was an easy way to get this dismissed... or whatever?

I would like to know as well since I am in the same situation right now with a pending court date. My belief is and on a recent ticket I recieved not the one I am going to court for next month. They wrote the wrong color for the car and when I spoke with the judge he said that as long as the Drivers info is correct it shows you were there and that the infraction was issued to you. Anyway I lost that one but maybe its diff where you are and definitly worth a try IMO.

Steve from what I can remember is that if the ticket has any discrepancies then the judge will dismiss it. But who knows maybe they changed the policy on that with the state being broke.
As Bradley said it might the same situation as he had it.

Last edited:
I believe accuracy in writing tickets is part of the officers job. It's falsification of facts if there is incorrect information on the ticket. If there are any discrepancies on the ticket, it should be grounds for automatic dismissal; assuming they haven't changed the law, which I doubt. However, you will have to go to court to dispute the ticket.

Different but similar. Years ago, I received a parking ticket with the wrong hours written by parking enforcement. I provided photos of the location and the parking sign and it was dismissed.

I would depend on how far off was the incorrect license info written on the ticket, if its just 1 or 2 letters or numbers off it could just be a typo error when the officer was writing the ticket, you have to understand that the drivers license info was correct, name , address, License # etc... when he issued the ticket which only proves you where there at the point in time when that infraction was committed. So I guess it would be hard to dispute it in court even if the license plate info of the vehicle was kinda off.

it happened to be couple months ago. I was going to fight it. But 3 weeks before the ticket due date, i got a letter in the mail saying they corrected the mistake and I still need to pay for the ticket. So, i just went to traffic school and paid for it.

Adrian

Well, I am not sure if this helps. I have a few tickets dismissed (3 in total) over the last 8 years. What happen is that every time I go to court and ask for trial by declaration.

The first tickets was a speeding ticket. What I did was using the location of the ticket issued, the distance that I had traveled from a light (where I took the right turn into the street that I was ticketed), using the published 0-60 number from manufacturer, and citing the physics books from college and figure out the maximum speed that I could be traveling at that moment where the cop gave me the ticket. I cited over 10 text and publications, including CalTran maps. I won and got my money back.

The second ticket was a illegal left turn into a parking lot, (the new plaza off Grand and Valley, right next to the CHP office) it was a entrapment all the way. There were two bike CHP directing one car after another for ticket. (There were some construction so they change the sign into no left turn). I again used trial by declaration. I took photos of the new sign, which is way after the entrance of the left turn. I argued on the ground of, 1, unclear sign. 2, entrapment. 3, random prosecution, because the cop did not stop everyone, as they were either writing tickets, or didn't want to go after anyone just drive away. I argued that you can't presecute some and not others without cause. Again, I won, and got my bail amount back.

The last one is another speeding ticket, happen on Azusa southbound before Amar. Again, it was contruction time and the speed limit was changed, and again was by bike CHP. I used trial by declaration again. I took picture of all the cones that was not in service, which clearly means there wasn't a construction going on. Also, I took pictures of the downed signs to proof that it wasn't enforced at the time.

I guess the moral of the story is to use trial by declaration, because once you do that, the cop also have to do some homework too, which I believe they do not like to on their spare time. In addition, remember to cite many credible sources, and impress the judge that you did your homework and you feel that you are not guilty of the infaction.

Anyway, I hope this helps...

I have not been to court in a while to fight a ticket, but this is how I see it going down.

YOU Plead your case to the court.
Blah, blah, blah, blah.

JUDGEWere you speeding at the time the citation was issued?

YOUYes, but I was going with the flow of traffic

JUDGEYou were speeding! See the cashier outside, $186 plus penalty assesement...........$465. Thank you have a nice day.

I've had that happen. Nothing changes.

However, I did just get a parking ticket. No vin listed or name, just the plate number and the WRONG state. Anyhow, my number probably does not exist in the state of california. I think I'm scott free on a parking ticket? Anyone know?

I once had a dickhead cop try to write me 2 tickets for one stop, both were for lame infractions, like 6 mph over etc.

I found 2 small technical discrepancies with his ticket. One was an incorrect plate number and the other was he wrote the wrong speed limit in the area I was ticketed.

Together those two discrepancies were enough for the judge to call the officer's judgement into question and dismiss. I loved the look on his face when she said "this is sloppy police work".

J

The answer is "it depends" :)

From what I recall back in the days (5+ years ago), any mistakes on the ticket can be grounds for dismissal. However, from my experience in the past 2 years, as long as they can establish that it is you and the car that the cop pulled over, the case still stands.

My wife was pulled over 2 years ago in OC for speeding based on pacing. The cop had the wrong last name spelling, wrong date, wrong insurance company, and few other incorrect information on the ticket. She went to court and pleaded that the officer was incorrect in his pacing for lack of judgement and accuracy based on the carelessness and almost illiterate ability in copying basic profile information onto a ticket. Judge didn't care and found her guilty.

Fight it... extend the ticket and then plead not guilty. If they have the wrong license plate # on the ticket, you can have it dismissed very easily. Good luck!

I got out of my last ticket because the cop wrote the wrong speed limit:biggrin: he had me clocked at 59mph in a 55 mph speed limit:eek:...

it was really a 40 mph zone:biggrin: so I fought it and the cop never even took the stand, he just did his first case then left before mine...Judge said, something like "blah,blah,blah, case dissmissed" :cool:

Yea every time you get pulled over, try your best to make it easier to let the cop forget you as quickly as possible after he leaves. This makes fighting the ticket much easier. Fight EVERY ticket you get. Its really pointless to just pay the ticket when you have the right to fight it.

Yea every time you get pulled over, try your best to make it easier to let the cop forget you as quickly as possible after he leaves. This makes fighting the ticket much easier. Fight EVERY ticket you get. Its really pointless to just pay the ticket when you have the right to fight it.

So you would fight it even if you knew you were speeding?

What the Hell was she thinking going SOOOOOOO damn fast? :rolleyes:

So you would fight it even if you knew you were speeding?

Absolutely. There's no need to suffer financially. Of course if I get caught, I usually ease up on the right foot a bit after that. :) I haven't had a ticket in a while *knock on wood*

I mean yea if you are doubling the speed limit, you're being incredibly stupid (not you specifically) and should be punished...

Last edited:
I have not been to court in a while to fight a ticket, but this is how I see it going down.

Blah, blah, blah, blah.

JUDGEYou were speeding! See the cashier outside, $186 plus penalty assesement...........$465. Thank you have a nice day.

Blah, blah, blah, blah.

You: Judge, i was not driving this vehicle at this time and date. I have never driving a vehcile with this liscence plate in my life.

JUDGE: officer, you are a screw up and a disgrace to the force. if you cant even read the plates correctly on a stoped vehicle, how can you estimate the speed of a moving vehicle? Case dismissed.

.......... at least this is how it always goes in my mind.:biggrin:

if the judge asks you if you where divnig this vehicle at this time and date, i would just say no, since clearly this is not my vehicle.

if the judge keeps going, you can always keep your mouth shut and take the 5th. :rolleyes: never have to say

Back