• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Code 44 on my 1991 NSX

I got a check engine light today. The car was running poorly at idle, but not too bad... but rought idle. At high speed it was fine. I retreived the code and it's 44, Rear fuel supply system, Rear O2 sensor. Any experience out there....just replace it? Oh and the damn passenger window thingy broke today too.

Thanks, I read it. Mine is a1991, so I only have 2 sensors right...a front and a rear?

Is a failure with the rear O2 sensor consistent with a rough idle?

Jim

Last edited:
Check the coil packs for rust. You may need to replace the coil cover gaskets.
Thanks, I read it. Mine is a1991, so I only have 2 sensors right...a front and a rear?

Is a failure with the rear O2 sensor consistent with a rough idle?

Jim

The O2 Sensor did not fix the bug.

While looking at the car after a test ride, I noticed a smell and that the cat on the passengers side was red hot. I have not looked at the coil packs yet. Would the cat glow red if raw gas was going into from a cylinder not firing correctly?

Maybe rich due to bad injector?

No new codes.

Last edited:
As others suggested: Have a look at the coil pack esp. the rear ones for corrosion. Cleaning the injectors is not a bad idea if you haven't done that in the last years. How is your rough idle? Running on all cylinders or do you hear cut-outs?

I don't hear any cut out. Seems to run OK at high speed

Seems to be missing after a hard run.

I'll have to look on the forum for the coil pack trouble shooting.

Last edited:
All coil packs are within the .9 - 1.1 Ohm spec. I pulled the plugs and the one positioned rear right position (rear bank drivers side or first one left of crack in front) looks like it's been wet. The others all look OK, but I'm replacing all of them as its been years anyway.

The one plug that looks as though it's been fowled by gas....(DEFINITELY NOT OIL) any ideas?

If this doesn't do it, at least I know the position where the problem exists. I guess injectors would be next.

As in most cars today, are we using dielectric tune-up grease and never seize?

It looks like it was a spark plug. I gotta say, Iv'e never seen a spark plug go bad in a car. Yes in lawn mowers, chain saws, dirt bikes....never a car. It apparently just went bad. It's not an oil induced failure...go figure...

Back