• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Spoon to Import NSX-R

According to Road & Track, starting early next year, Spoon will be marketing a left-hand drive NSX Type-R in U.S. Limited production, est. price $120,000

i call bs until i actually see it happen

same way i call bs on spoon actually owning an "authentic" nsx-r gt

I heard something like this...I think what they do is take an Acura NSX and mod it like a type R...suppose to have 300 hp vs what the Real Type R's from japan have. They aren't really Importing the cars. You can also send your car to them and they will transform it for you...not sure how much they are planning to charge to do this. I heard something like that...I think it might have been on NSXPrime too.

According to Road & Track, starting early next year, Spoon will be marketing a left-hand drive NSX Type-R in U.S. Limited production, est. price $120,000

of course. "LIMITED". how many people gonna buy it? really doubt. assuming that you spend 75k for a 05 nsx with low mileage. extra 45k is almost enough to bring you all better goodies than OEM NSX-R parts.

of course. "LIMITED". how many people gonna buy it? really doubt. assuming that you spend 75k for a 05 nsx with low mileage. extra 45k is almost enough to bring you all better goodies than OEM NSX-R parts.

^Agreed, $120K seems a bit pricey if you ask me. Can't you pick-up a used Gallardo or used 360 Modena Challenge Stradale for that kind of money?

This is an excerpt from the article:
Spoon's custom damper kit, which helped our test car run through the slalom at 70.2 mph and pull 0.97g around the 200-ft.-diameter skidpad. An HKS GT3037 turbocharger has been installed, raising the 3.2-liter V-6's output to 420 bhp at 7500 rpm and 289 lb.-ft. of torque at 5500 rpm. This allows the 2795-lb. car to race to 60 mph in a scant 4.0 sec. and to the quarter in 12.5.

No offense to this car, but these are C5Z06 times. And if I’m shelling out that kind of money ($500,000) I’d want times nowhere near a $25,000 Corvette. I’m sure the driving dynamics, on the GT, are race-car like but seriously for that kind of money I wouldn’t want to know a stock C5Z06 Vette can keep up.

I just read the article, wow, $500,000 for a NSX-R GT, that is expensive stuff. Wouldn't people rather have a Porsche Carrera GT or maybe a Gumpert Apollo for that price? Or almost any other exotic?
If you look at the comparison chart vs the normal NSX it's not that much better. And only 1.5 secs faster, hmmmmmmmm...

Last edited:
First let me say I know a guy who picked up a used 04 Gallardo E-gear for $105k with low miles. Not that I would want an 04 Gallardo over an NSX but point being these days for $100k large you can buy A LOT OF CARS ~ aka AMG, Ferrari’s, Aston, etc….

You would have to be a true DIEHARD NSX fan to spend $120k on an NSX-R replica. The $500k price quoted from that article has even more mods with the custom turbo kit but this is something that few would inspire to build. At $500k, jeez I can buy a CGT and have leftover cash for a nice ML63 

Fun article to read though!~

rk

^Agreed, $120K seems a bit pricey if you ask me. Can't you pick-up a used Gallardo or used 360 Modena Challenge Stradale for that kind of money?

This is an excerpt from the article:
Spoon's custom damper kit, which helped our test car run through the slalom at 70.2 mph and pull 0.97g around the 200-ft.-diameter skidpad. An HKS GT3037 turbocharger has been installed, raising the 3.2-liter V-6's output to 420 bhp at 7500 rpm and 289 lb.-ft. of torque at 5500 rpm. This allows the 2795-lb. car to race to 60 mph in a scant 4.0 sec. and to the quarter in 12.5.

No offense to this car, but these are C5Z06 times. And if I’m shelling out that kind of money ($500,000) I’d want times nowhere near a $25,000 Corvette. I’m sure the driving dynamics, on the GT, are race-car like but seriously for that kind of money I wouldn’t want to know a stock C5Z06 Vette can keep up.

I just read the article, wow, $500,000 for a NSX-R GT, that is expensive stuff. Wouldn't people rather have a Porsche Carrera GT or maybe a Gumpert Apollo for that price? Or almost any other exotic?
If you look at the comparison chart vs the normal NSX it's not that much better. And only 1.5 secs faster, hmmmmmmmm...
Dosn't matter since all 5 that were built are spoken for.

But in all honesty, let's say there is one up for sale at $500K. Would you rather have that or a Porsche Carrera GT, maybe a Ferrari F430, Ferrari F50 or Ferrari F40.
I agree, but for the Honda-loyal, those with the money, its probably the rarest and most expensive Honda ever. Does that justify the cost? It really depends on who you ask. Performance for dollar, probably not.

But in all honesty, let's say there is one up for sale at $500K. Would you rather have that or a Porsche Carrera GT, maybe a Ferrari F430, Ferrari F50 or Ferrari F40.

If I had the fortune to spend 500k on a car, I sincerely doubt that an NSX-R GT would be my only collector auto. There's a saying about the rich: "they're different...b/c they're rich."

I only know of a two very wealthy individuals that would buy a car like this. And they both spend more on eBay - in a month - than what I bought my car for originally. Not a joke. Their financial reasoning and ability are not like the rest of the world.

Point being that the buyers (outside of Spoon) bought for collector status and/or exclusivity not singularly for performance.

I agree, but for the Honda-loyal, those with the money, its probably the rarest and most expensive Honda ever.

Exactly.

well i'm not a fan of the looks of the nsx-r gt, i would rather buy the replica body kit and keep the rest of the money and buy something else on the side.

and in all fairness since this is an nsx forum and you guys are hating on an expensive spoon completely rebuilt nsx why dont you guys enlighten me on 1 area that an nsx can beat a $55,000 dollar c6 z06:rolleyes:

and in all fairness since this is an nsx forum and you guys are hating on an expensive spoon completely rebuilt nsx why dont you guys enlighten me on 1 area that an nsx can beat a $55,000 dollar c6 z06:rolleyes:

How you feel when you drive it. To me, that's the only real consideration. Who cares what the 0-60 is? That won't help me when I'm on an NSX cruise, or going to get Chinese. If I could feel how I do when I'm in the NSX in some other car, like a Ford Fiesta, think of all the money I'd save :)

Forget about the Corvette. In the $500K price range, why wouldn't you want a Carrera GT. Maybe Even a Zonda, Koenigsegg, Gumpert Apollo, etc...

Stock for stock? Nimbleness and driver feedback through the wheel.

Oh, and the stock run-flats are terrible, feels like you're driving on a wet track. If I recall correctly, the NSX-R GT was a few seconds faster than a C6 Z06 on that track...

Stock for stock? Nimbleness and driver feedback through the wheel.

Oh, and the stock run-flats are terrible, feels like you're driving on a wet track. If I recall correctly, the NSX-R GT was a few seconds faster than a C6 Z06 on that track...

i just saw a string of recent videos when they had a bunch of D1 drivers drive the spoon nsx-r gt around the same track and it lapped in the 1:25 range. it was actually not too far off from the mines R35 GT-R driven by Daijiro.

here are the said videos driven by pros vs a amateur club racer such as sam mitani, they were almost 6 seconds faster on the same car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQCToTJtInU part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjRNW1Wj4lU&feature=channel part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQrqHvmUkvg&feature=channel part 3

Last edited:
Who's an amateur club racer?

sam mitani, one of the editors from road and track. he even calls himself that level since he has graduated from a few racing schools.

Gotcha, didn't read it correctly the first time.

i just re read the article on road & track and as it turns out, they ran the course in reverse so that would explain the huge descrepancy in time. but the GTR in the road and track article still lapped in the 1:25 second range while the nsx-r GT ran in the low 1:31 second range. that is a 6 second difference but when 2 D1 drivers did a time attack in the normal direction the time difference between the two cars was less than 1 second.

Back