• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Snap Ring and Engine question

I picked up my first NSX in August of this year and I have two questions.
I read a lot about "out of snap ring range." What is this and how do I check my car? I am assuming from reading it has something to do with the manual transmission.

Also, my mechanic said that the engine vibrates at low idle which is strange for a Honda product. The vibration goes away with acceleration. Is this normal for the NSX to have engine vibration at low idle or do I need to check something?

Look on the top of the transaxle just below the throttle body and there is a tag. On that tag is a number. Record that number and then find the range of transmissions that were affected by this flaw and you will then determine whether or not your trans falls in the category.
Only 91 and 92 models will.
Do a search for snap ring range and you'll find the info.
Good luck and welcome aboard.

Also, my mechanic said that the engine vibrates at low idle which is strange for a Honda product. The vibration goes away with acceleration. Is this normal for the NSX to have engine vibration at low idle or do I need to check something?

This is normal. They all vibrate at idle. I know it stuck out to me too the first time I drove an NSX. But I am used to it now.

Back