• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX-T top speed?

I cant seem to find the top speed of an NSX -T anywhere somebody here must know. Also, does the NSX-T have 290 hps the car spec sites I looked at werent to clear if it was specs for an NSX-T or a normnal NSX.

Last edited:
The T designates the targa top, which began production in '95. Relatively few coupes were sold after 1994.

People sometimes think the T is for turbo. Unfortunately, Honda never stepped up their game to offer some kind of forced induction or higher output engine than the 290 hp in NA2 manuals.

A stock NSX or NSX-T should go 165MPH+ easily. The 2002, b/c of the reduced drag says to go about 172 mph.

The botoom line is that, stock, the car can go fast b/c of it's aerodynamics, evne though it may "only" have 270/290 HP.

With another 100 HP from spercharging, and some undertrays n such, 180,190 shouldn't be a problem at all.

The 6-speed 290-hp cars of 1997 - 2001 have a top rated speed of 168mph (source: Feb. '97 Road & Track).

We all know the mechanicals are the same for the 2002 - 2005 cars. However, with slight tweaking of aerodynamics, top speed increased by 3 to 171 mph. This same exact number was confirmed by two other road tests at that time.

The NSX took quite a leap from the 270 horse and the 5-speed. The difference was noticed in both quickness and top speed.

Last edited:
yeah I was one of those people that thought the T meant turbo lol well how do you know if they are turbo or not?

all nsx's came form the factory with either a 270hp NA 3.0L 5-speed or a 290hp NA 3.2L 6-speed. (i'm going to ignore the automatics).

All of the published acceleration and top speed figures are from one of these two engines in either the NA1 (coupe for years 91-94, targa for years 95-96) and NA2 (targas for years 97-01 and targas with the refreshed body for years 02-05). there were very few coupes made from the years 95-01 as they were all custom order. if you search "production numbers" in the nsxprime wiki, you will find total production numbers for transmission, body style and color for US sales.

if you search LoveFab or FactorX, you will find plenty examples of very well sorted turbo nsx's that make power up to the 900+ whp ranges...the top speed then will be limited by the transmission most likely.

Last edited:
The 6-speed 290-hp cars of 1997 - 2001 have a top rated speed of 168mph (source: Feb. '97 Road & Track).

We all know the mechanicals are the same for the 2002 - 2005 cars. However, with slight tweaking of aerodynamics, top speed increased by 3 to 171 mph. This same exact number was confirmed by two other road tests at that time.

The NSX took quite a leap from the 270 horse and the 5-speed. The difference was noticed in both quickness and top speed.

2002+ claimed top speed was 175. Autocar got 171 on the banking which equates to ~180 on the flat. I think this particular car was optimised.

The main improvement to bump the NSX from 270HP(NA1) to 290HP(NA2) was achieved by redesigning the restrictive exhaust headers. The additional .2 liters of displacement don't contribute much to that.

I cant seem to find the top speed of an NSX -T anywhere somebody here must know. Also, does the NSX-T have 290 hps the car spec sites I looked at werent to clear if it was specs for an NSX-T or a normnal NSX.

Welcome to Prime. Please take a moment to introduce yourself.

So far I have driven my nsx-t bone stock as fast as 280+ km/h.
Looking forward now, 02+ updates+ some bolt ons + -about 180kg weight savings :)

Last edited:
Why does top speed matter? I can do 170 something mph in my car, am I? Hell no :p. ~300HP in a light balanced car that can do 300k+ miles and looks gorgeous ought to be enough for anybody IMO :wink:. Then ad on Honda's gas efficiency and this community and you've got yourself the perfect super car.

Last edited:
Why does top speed matter? I can do 170 something mph in my car, am I? Hell no :p. ~300HP in a light balanced car that can do 300k+ miles and looks gorgeous ought to be enough for anybody IMO :wink:. Then ad on Honda's gas efficiency and this community and you've got yourself the perfect super car.

Apart from passing 170 twice in Germany returning form the 'Ring :smile:, I'd concur with the above, especially the community bit!

91-01 = 168mph

92-05 = 175mph

These were the official honda ratings although I suspect most of the improved top end was due to the HP increase in '97 not the aero. Honda probably just didn't re-rate the top end until it became a significant difference in '02.

The main improvement to bump the NSX from 270HP(NA1) to 290HP(NA2) was achieved by redesigning the restrictive exhaust headers. The additional .2 liters of displacement don't contribute much to that.

Correct. The displacement increase was primarily intended to improve low-mid torque.

Back