• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What is "Certificate of Destruction" Title?

One of my co-worker found a very nice 350Z in an auction but the title says "Certificate of Destruction". The Z looks clean with no exterior damage. The only thing that is missing is the stereo. We called the auction center and they told us certificate of destruction title means you can't register the car for road use. Is that true? Or is there any way to go around it?

Short answer, yes true. Pig in a poke - stay away from it unless you simply wish to part it out.
A way to "go around it"? Yes, I suppose. It is called "title laundering" and of course, not ethical and bordering on/is criminal.
Most states provide for a de-titling mechanism by which a severely distressed vehicle is never to be returned to roadworthy status. Think clear title>salvage title>certificate of destruction title. Most states call it a "scrap title" or "junking certificate".
You did not state whether this was a CA certificate or some other state.
California issues a non-repairable title certificate. "A non-repairable vehicle is a vehicle, which has no resale value except as a source of parts or scrap metal. The vehicle cannot be titled or subsequently registered. Once a vehicle has been declared non-repairable, ownership of the vehicle may be transferred only twice on a non-repairable vehicle certificate." (Source: NADA National Edition Title and Registration Textbook, 2005 edition)
Hope this helps!

One of my co-worker found a very nice 350Z in an auction but the title says "Certificate of Destruction". The Z looks clean with no exterior damage. The only thing that is missing is the stereo. We called the auction center and they told us certificate of destruction title means you can't register the car for road use. Is that true? Or is there any way to go around it?

You could drive it with dealer plates.

It means the car is for export or to be dismantled. Probably a flood vehicle.

It is not a flood vehicle. According to the auction agent, this is a stolen vehicle which recovered three months after the insurance company settled with the current owner however, the insurance company believed this is a scam that the current owner purposely hide his vehicle, file a claim, get the money, and try to buy it back cheap from the auction. In order to avoid the current owner to do what the insurance comapny claims he/she will do, they issued the certificate of destruction on the vehicle to make it non- registable. In order to makes it look like a theft recovery, the stock stereo system was removed. That's the only missing item on the vehicle.

This vehicle is not in CA. So, my question is can we bring a certificate of destruction vehicle from out of state, and to register in CA?

It is not a flood vehicle. According to the auction agent, this is a stolen vehicle which recovered three months after the insurance company settled with the current owner however, the insurance company believed this is a scam that the current owner purposely hide his vehicle, file a claim, get the money, and try to buy it back cheap from the auction. In order to avoid the current owner to do what the insurance comapny claims he/she will do, they issued the certificate of destruction on the vehicle to make it non- registable. In order to makes it look like a theft recovery, the stock stereo system was removed. That's the only missing item on the vehicle.

This vehicle is not in CA. So, my question is can we bring a certificate of destruction vehicle from out of state, and to register in CA?

HA, good for the insurance company. They should search his house for the radio.

The auction agent by chance, wouldn't be fibbing, now would he? He does have a huge stake in this, so I don't know how much I would really believe anything he says.
The story sounds way to fabricated and it makes the car look like it was only misplaced for awhile........or it could be in such poor shape or has substantial damage.that it is not road worthy and has to be parted out. The latter is most likely the truth.

It was kinda believable until the "radio was removed to make it look like a theft recovery" part. The snow started getting to thick at that point. The insurance company brands it with a certificate of destruction and loses how much because of this?

Last edited:
only way you can get title go to kentucky find a dealer who can apply for title and go to salavage inspection and get rebuilt title.only that state take parts only title. call dmv and find out. but never take that car to florida if u get stop in florida they can take your car away.

TOO funny. Because of the facts you still have not provided even after we tried to assist. :smile:
"Buy back" scheme is more common than most of you would believe.

Back