• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Fence Pricing-Trex and Wood

Sig

Experienced Member
I am looking to add a privacy fence down one side of my backyard. I don't like the look of vinyl, so I am only considering Trex and wood. The fence will be about 230 linear feet.

I got an estimate this morning for both options inclusive of labor. The Trex fence (6ft high) cost was about $10k. The wood fence (7ft high) was about $7k. Or, $8500 if I went with 6"x6" posts. Interestingly enough, the wood option (Osmose brand lumber) comes with a lifetime warranty for rotting/pest damage directly from the installation company. They are the largest fence installers in the area and have been around for 50 years... so I anticipate they will be around to make good on the warranty.

Both options are board-on-batten style facades. How do those prices look? High, low, average?

Last edited:
I've never been on a Trex or engineered wood deck that I liked. Nothing beats the look of real wood to me. It looks amazing the first few years, but must be taken care of.

I've also been on some engineered wood decks that squeak pretty badly because the screws rub against the resin or plastic used when they make the "wood".

I vote for wood.

I've never been on a Trex or engineered wood deck that I liked. Nothing beats the look of real wood to me. It looks amazing the first few years, but must be taken care of.

I've also been on some engineered wood decks that squeak pretty badly because the screws rub against the resin or plastic used when they make the "wood".

I vote for wood.

Not sure if it changes your perspective, but the Trex fencing material is a different compound than they use for their decking. It's far more rigid than the deck material and has a smooth finish, unlike the textured finsih to the Trex decking. Since I am getting a fence, I am not thinking much about the deck applications.

I am really interested to see how this pricing stacks up to what others have seen in their area.

I looked in to using Trex, but I was told they still use regular wood for the posts. The said the 4x4 trex was not made to hold up a fence. I finally went with a tan vinyl and couldn't be happier.

I looked in to using Trex, but I was told they still use regular wood for the posts. The said the 4x4 trex was not made to hold up a fence. I finally went with a tan vinyl and couldn't be happier.

That is an interesting point about the Trex fence posts. According to the Trex glossy the fence guy gave me, the fence posts are 5.5" each and made out of the same trex fencing material. That is definitely something I need to follow-up on with the contractor, because that would be a show stopper.

What was the approximate cost for you vinyl fence per 10 feet?

I paid about $400.00 for every 10 feet. All they had was 4x4 posts when I was looking, so maybe they changed the sizes to fix this problem. Good luck

Trex is to fencing what wood paneling is to interiors...Fake

Not entirely sure how this is helpful or responsive to Sig's question. :confused:

In any event, Sig, you're asking the wrong audience, fencing installation in the DC area is not necessarily comparable to fencing pricing in the other parts of the country. The best way to confirm pricing is check multiple installers in your area. If you are really looking to get the best deal, checkout/subscribe to Washington Consumer's Checkbook. They have, in years past, rated fence installers around the DC Metro Area and they denote whether the installers are given a "check" mark for quality and/or price.

Back