• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What could be causing code P1399

I believe it's a multiple misfire code. I'd get it once in a while, but it would go away by itself. At the time of the code, the MIL light would flash for a few seconds then go away. I can see that the code is pending on my reader as pending. The MIL light never goes solid though. What's wrong? I've replaced the spark plugs and checked coil.

Another thing. The only time this happens is during low RPM or idle and with my head lights on.

I believe it's a multiple misfire code. I'd get it once in a while, but it would go away by itself. At the time of the code, the MIL light would flash for a few seconds then go away. I can see that the code is pending on my reader as pending. The MIL light never goes solid though. What's wrong? I've replaced the spark plugs, air filter, and checked coil.

You also may wish to check your alternator belt tension. If the headlights being on at idle cause it, this is a drain on the system. The alternator is quite capable of handling this load, assuming the belt is tight, and it is working properly.

HTH,
LarryB

I have the same problem on a customers car , exactly the same , comes on only at cold start , and sometimes idle .

I'm thinking EGR could be leaking ?

I'm not 100% sure but the tiimes that I do get the blinking MIL and momentary lost of power is always when the car is started and driven. It has happened after letting the car sit for a few hours or just a few minutes. Don't ever remember seeing blinking MIL after driving for awhile. I also tested my idle and it appears right below 800 RPM and seems steady with and without everything turned on. Everytime the fan comes on it'll jump a couple hundred RPM, but always goes back to around 800 RPM.

I've already cleaned the EGR valve / tubing and sprayed throttle cleaner into the air intake manifold. Am I not cleaning it correctly?

How low of an idle? I would try cleaning the throttle body.

Brian, what I mean by low RPM is when I'm driving under 2500 RPM. Not that the idle is low. Idle seems pretty constant around 800 RPM. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for your input.

How low of an idle? I would try cleaning the throttle body.

I checked the alternator out and it appears okay. Cable tension looks pretty tight.

You also may wish to check your alternator belt tension. If the headlights being on at idle cause it, this is a drain on the system. The alternator is quite capable of handling this load, assuming the belt is tight, and it is working properly.

HTH,
LarryB

Any solution to the p1399 code?

Back