• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How long will the Water Pump Last

I know most people change their water pump when they replace their timing belt, but does anyone know how long the water pump last.

My friend is dropping his engine to fix some exhaust valve problems. His current timing belt and water pump have 23,000 miles on them. He wants to replace the timing belt since the engine is alreay out.

Does he need to replace the water pump also or just wait until the next timing belt service in 60K miles? He wants to save a little money if he can.

Last edited:
Water pump failures are rare as long as you are using Honda coolant. As long as it is the new style with the drian that comes out the timing cover you can risk it but is he can afford a NSX he can afford a new water pump. :rolleyes:

Water pump failures are rare as long as you are using Honda coolant. As long as it is the new style with the drian that comes out the timing cover you can risk it but is he can afford a NSX he can afford a new water pump. :rolleyes:

BrianK is bang on with this one.

Green coolant is easier on the water pump than the red/orange long life ones.

But I would also have a look at the history of the model car to see if it is prone to w/p failures.

ex When I use to work for Mazda dealership. MPVs were well known for having waterpump failures at about 90,000km-130,000km. That was a gaurantee. But other cars in the Mazda lineup would last 300,000km without a waterpump failure.

When I switched over to a Toyota dealership. I was changing waterpumps on every model Toyota because their cars came with the red/orange coolant from the factory.

But for peace of mind and ease changing the water pump at $200 give or take. Might be wise in doing it. But I wouldn't say its a necessity.

Just want to throw in here that mileage is not the only cause of failure of a WP. I'm with Brian here.
But if he stays with the old one (how old?) I'd replace the gasket at least. (Said too much, listen to Brian) :)

I feel the same way, but if you knew my friend, you would understand. :biggrin:

Everytime I see him take shortcuts on his car, I start to cringe. He used duck tape to hold up his side skirts...what does that tell you.

It was hard enough to convince him to change the timing belt while the engine was out.

No one knows. It depends on alot of variables. Thats why most owners change it out along with the timing belt since the labor is free at that point and you just have to cover the cost of the part itself. There was a thread in the vendor section form an acura dealer with a great deal on a WP.

My original WP went bad at 23,000 miles. The replacement WP now has 48,000 miles on it with no problems. I'm going to change it out due to the time it's been on my NSX.

BrianK is bang on with this one.

Green coolant is easier on the water pump than the red/orange long life ones.

But I would also have a look at the history of the model car to see if it is prone to w/p failures.

ex When I use to work for Mazda dealership. MPVs were well known for having waterpump failures at about 90,000km-130,000km. That was a gaurantee. But other cars in the Mazda lineup would last 300,000km without a waterpump failure.

When I switched over to a Toyota dealership. I was changing waterpumps on every model Toyota because their cars came with the red/orange coolant from the factory.

But for peace of mind and ease changing the water pump at $200 give or take. Might be wise in doing it. But I wouldn't say its a necessity.

So who supplies Honda with coolant?
Eddie, I want to change out my coolant this spring, any suggestions on what to use?

mind to ask, how do we know when the WP is almost to fail and already failed?

You got me. Let me rephrase: How long should the Water Pump Last Normally?

at least 100k, if not I might as well just go by a Ford Mustang:frown: I think I just threw up in my mouth

mind to ask, how do we know when the WP is almost to fail and already failed?

You can turn it by hand and feel for unregularities or look for unusual noise. But at this stage you've already dismounted the TB.
If the WP is replaced with the TB it's a no-brainer as long as you use a Honda part. Again as someone said: if someone can afford an NSX he can afford a WP. :)

Back