• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help-Failure on Fuse #5 Circuit -Instrument cluster, turn signals, power steering etc

While traveling in my ’97 NSX at 65 on the freeway, all my instrument cluster, turn signals, clock and power steering completely stopped working (Tach & Speedo went to 0). The engine continued to run normally and I drove 3 miles to home. Using my shop manual I traced the circuit to the 15 amp #5 fuse in the under dash fuse box (drivers kick panel).

The manual says in addition to the above, the following are on that circuit: Integrated control unit, Back-up lights, TCS control unit, Security control unit, Voltage regulator, Heated Oxygen Sensors, Vehicle Speed sensor, IAB control solenoid valve, EVAP control canister vent shut valve, EVAP bypass solenoid valve, EVAP purge flow switch, Reverse Lockup relay (M/T).
I changed the fuse and when I turned the key to the on position (not start) it blew immediately.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Do you have an educated idea as to which module is most likely to cause this so I can start troubleshooting there? I had the TCS module rebuilt 5 months ago but it was working fine. The only reference to this I can find on Prime is an old reference to the Vehicle Speed sensor causing a problem.
Thanks for the assistance.
Chris

The under dash fuse #5 blowing problem was traced to Oxygen Sensor wires that moved and were rubbing on the RR drive shaft. Thereby, wearing through the insulation and causing a short. The fix was simply to cut out the damaged wire, reconnect the sensor and secure the wire with tie wraps so it cannot move onto heated or moving objects. I’d suggest specifically checking for this when you check for rear brake pad wear.
Below are my troubleshooting notes in case they can help someone else with a similar problem as dealing with 27 items on the fuse can be frustrating.

Email me if you have any questions.
Chris

15 amp #5 fuse in the under dash fuse box (drivers kick panel)
Page numbers below, i.e. 23-53 refers to 97 Acura Shop Manual section and page.
“CXXX” refers to a module connector on a wire harness.

-**Under dash Fuse box diagram, List and Wire harness connections to ICU 23-45
-All items on fuse 23-53
-Connector Identification and Wire Harness routing 23-13;
-23-22 Right kick panel and 23-30 Right kick panel and right under dash - Floor wire harness connection points

Integrated control unit (entry light timer - works, Key in reminder - works, lights on reminder – works, window defogger etc. etc): Main Description 23-165; second fuse description on 23-52
Disconnect ICU 23-166

Back-up lights –Not working: 23-202

Transmission Control Module: ?A/T?

Pulse Unit M/T:

Radiator Fan Control Sensor: location 23-111 C106 (from 23-16/17 Engine Harness)

IAB control solenoid valve:

EVAP control canister vent shut valve: 23-34/35 C550 (from 23-34/35 Side wire harness)

EVAP bypass solenoid valve: 23-35 C551 (from 23-34/35 Side wire harness)

EGR control Solenoid Control Valve:

EVAP purge Control Solenoid Valve: C101 (from 23-16 Harness)

Gages and Indicator Lights -Works: 23-122;

TCS Switch: 23-28 C436 (from 23-28 Floor Wire Harness)

Turn Signal Lights–Not working: 23-29 C415 –Turn signal hazard relay (from 23-28 Floor wiring Harness);23-37

EPS Control Unit (IG1) (Power Steering) –Not working:

Cruise Main Switch:

Reverse Lockout Relay M/T –Not working:

Reverse Lockout Solenoid M/T: C161 (from 23-18 Harness)

Fuel Pump Relay:

TCS control unit (IG1): Traction Control TSS switch;

Security control unit: (from 23-31 Floor wire Harness) C460 & C461:23-321

Clock (IG1) –Not working:

Voltage Regulator (IG1): 23-99

Heated Front and Rear Oxygen Sensors, Primary and secondary -4 total (HO2S): C142 (from 23-18 Engine wire Harness)

Vehicle Speed sensor: **23-131; Connector to gage assembly 23-123; 132; 133 23-123;
C112 (from 23-16 Engine Wire Harness) (location on engine 23-17)

Spark Plug Voltage:

Detection Module: C146; C151 (from 23-18 Harness) (Picture and location of module 23-12)
Windows do not work either and drivers switch feels differently than pass. -23-271Circuit Diagram Key off timer circuit is off fuse 5

From list on 23-45 - Not mentioned in circuit List on 23-53

EVAP purge flow switch:

Brake Fluid & Others (master cylinder cap fluid level detector): 23-124

Safety Indicator (T-Top holder, Door switch, trunk latch, Roof lock, Retractable headlights, Brake lights failure switch) : Test 23-153; list of components 23-154; 23-149

[end of list] - good Luck

Last edited:
Thanks for the in depth post! You pointed me directly to my problem. One of my O2 sensor wires got pinched between my turbo air intake tube and the body, or frame component and blew #5 fuse. I had just been driving around for 3 hours no problem, then took off from a light hard into full boost and bam, no gauges, running a little rough, decided to stop and shut it down and attempt re start and nothing! Well he hazards, headlights and a few other minor things worked but no starter, no idiot lights..... Managed to bump start it, and got it home the 4 kms. Looked on prime and saw this post, checked fuse #5 , blown, put the car on my lift found suspect O2 wire pinched, I am sure that will be my problem! So thanks a million for the awesome post, it's greatly appreciated!

Back