• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX has VIN tags on every exterior parts?

I'm currently looking for a nicely kept NSX and I found a couple of them on ebay and other online websites.
But, the owner said VIN number is not on every parts.
I thought all Honda/Acura have VIN tags on all exterior parts (fenders, hood, doors, trunk, etc.)
And how do you do transaction for one that is not paid off yet (has lien holder)? and these cars are not local. :confused:

My 2002 Imola has the VIN tags on every single panel but if I recall earlier cars didn't have this until Honda started putting VIN tags on later years...

But I don't remember which year they started. Check the WIKI?

To answer your second question I'd suggest paying the person's bank first then get the title re-issued into your name as you now own it! I'm sure other prime members will respond...

Last edited:
They started putting the vin stickers on the 2000 models.

Its 2000

thanks bangbang001 :biggrin:
you have a good search skills

BTW, about the lien.
Bank doesn't want to mail the title to me even I make the payment ( actually 2 checks one for seller and one for bank)
I guess they still want to mail it out to the current owner and have him/her signed the title then forward it to new owner.
One concern is, what if the seller doesn't send it to me? I guess I have to have all supporting documents prepare for this, right?

Last edited:
See if you can find an atourney's office in the city are buying the car. Pay them to take care of the transaction for you. Sure you might have to pay a few bucks, but ... you know it will be get done correctly and they will have yout title in hand.

Just a thought!

See if you can find an atourney's office in the city are buying the car. Pay them to take care of the transaction for you. Sure you might have to pay a few bucks, but ... you know it will be get done correctly and they will have yout title in hand.

Just a thought!

That is exactly what I did when I bought my RX7 R1. The lawyer office had me give them power of attorney. They put together the bill of sale and I sent them the money. They met the owners at the bank, paid the bank off, got the cleared title, gave the remaining money to the owners and then took posession of the car for me. I flew down to Salt Lake City, Utah and met the lawyers where I took all the paperwork and drove the car home. It cost me $500 for this service. Unless you have someone local you trust who is willing to do all this for you the lawyer route is the only way to go.

That is exactly what I did when I bought my RX7 R1. The lawyer office had me give them power of attorney. They put together the bill of sale and I sent them the money. They met the owners at the bank, paid the bank off, got the cleared title, gave the remaining money to the owners and then took posession of the car for me. I flew down to Salt Lake City, Utah and met the lawyers where I took all the paperwork and drove the car home. It cost me $500 for this service. Unless you have someone local you trust who is willing to do all this for you the lawyer route is the only way to go.

When was this? Who did you buy the car from? I might know the owner.

When was this? Who did you buy the car from? I might know the owner.

This was about 5 years ago and the owners were hispanic (based on their names only since I never met them). I think their last names were something like Olmos but I would have to check my paperwork to be sure. The car was black with white 5 spoke SSR Integrals. The wheels rubbed and damaged the front fender lips. I have since replaced them with a Rays Engineering wheel (see picture). I still have the car and am in the middle of a 3 rotor transplant.

Attachments

• rx7 r1.jpg
    rx7 r1.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 134
My recommendation is: Create a lien yourself by take a small loan from your local banking institution even if you don't really need the loan. This will involve your lending bank in the process of paying off the sellers existing lien and gets the title placed in their name as the new lien holder. It becomes a bank-to-bank transaction without your involvement and they have all the necessary documents. Once your bank has the new title in their name, just pay the loan off and the car is yours free and clear. The cost of this process should be very little and your headache greatly reduced.

My recommendation is: Create a lien yourself by take a small loan from your local banking institution even if you don't really need the loan. This will involve your lending bank in the process of paying off the sellers existing lien and gets the title placed in their name as the new lien holder. It becomes a bank-to-bank transaction without your involvement and they have all the necessary documents. Once your bank has the new title in their name, just pay the loan off and the car is yours free and clear. The cost of this process should be very little and your headache greatly reduced.

Important to note though that in this case you should NOT send any money to the sellers because your bank will have to pay off the loan from the other bank to get the title cleared and put in their name. Obviously your bank isn't going to pay out more than you borrowed.

I know of an RX7 that has been for sale for a long time and the price was amazing ($7k) for what the car was. It was super clean, big turbo, lots of modifications, etc. I asked around and found out that there is a lien on the car and $20k still owing. If a buyer didn't know about the lien and bought the car they will end up losing their $7k and have the bank telling them to pay out the $20k before they will release the title so that they can get it registered.

Back