• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Bluegrass First Event

When they get the top coat completed (they have base coat down) it may need a month to cure. I'd really like to get to Bluegrass and run an event.

Feff

my cement driveway cured in 7-10 days, asfault should cure faster, then again for the pounding its gonna take some additional time is surely needed, but a month??!?!

IMPORTANT CONSTRUCTION UPDATE 4.12.09

I would like to share with you a detailed look into the permit process as we minimize impact on the environment while maximizing the master plan of our paddock. It’s a balance that we have been able to accomplish with our revised site plan. But it took some time to dial it in and the consequences now have the track opening in late Spring versus early Spring. This is why we placed the first two races in June so would could have a three month buffer in case Murphy's Law came into town. We continue to be in touch with rentals on the cusp of losing their event date and will continue to update the website accordingly.

Knowing that we would impact some of the streams, I hired Heritage Engineering and Redwing Ecological Services out of Louisville to conduct a Wetlands Determination study so we could get a better handle on the stream impacts and to mediate with the agencies in the process as we determine the mitigation plan. We all met with the Corps of Engineers (USACE) in December 2007 when they made their initial visit to the property. As expected it was determined they would take jurisdiction over the streams and their defined banks that our project impacted.

We conducted a number of studies to move forward with USACE, including an archaeological and historical study which to our benefit found no significant sites. Though, we were able to recover 34 historic and 5 prehistoric artifacts stemming from the formative stages of human civilization including the Archaic period (8000BC -1000BC). The good news is there was no evidence of mammoths or burial sites! A significant find like this would have had bad news written all over it from a timing perspective (unless it was a $16M rare mammoth fossil).

There are two types of streams that are of concern to our project, intermittent and ephemeral. An intermittent stream is characterized as seasonal and only flows for part of the year, whereas an ephemeral stream only starts flowing during and just after precipitation. We are impacting both of these stream types and each has a different quality rating (poor, average, excellent). The stream quality is important because this determines our “Quality Adjustment Rating”. This is the multiplier (think of it as an increasing penalty for what kind of stream you impact). This is calculated at 1x (poor), 1.5x (average), 2x (excellent). Thus, I prefer to impact poor rather than excellent streams. After thorough studies and multiple meetings with USACE and Kentucky Division of Water (KDOW), we decided to apply for the Nationwide Permit so we could “streamline the evaluation and approval process due to our minimal impact to the aquatic environment.”

These were the mitigation options presented to us over the winter: One, we could mitigate other streams on the property into preservation in-lieu of the impacted streams. The second option is to pay an in-lieu fee (cash) for the impacts. The third option is to conduct a stream restoration project to remove invasive species such as Honeysuckle (L. maackii). This means the native species no longer have to compete for resources with the Honeysuckle and it allows the natives to mature and dominate once again. After redesigning the paddock, the end result includes a hybrid of these options. I personally see a lot of value with the stream restoration project because it offers a natural laboratory for local students to participate and understand the environment.

We placed many of the streams in preservation where future development did not occur. For example there is a stream running parallel from the entrance road to the track at the top of a hill. This is 4,215’ in length with the upstream portion defined as excellent quality. We impacted 135’ of the upstream nexus which means we need to mitigate how much stream? 270’ (135’ x 2.0 (excellent quality adjustment)). This is just one example for seven intermittent and ten ephemeral stream impacts from our project.

To give you a 30,000’ view, take a look at the wetlands map and compare it to the track layout. You can actually see the silhouette of our track just by looking at the topography and location of the streams. It’s pretty cool. Now compare where our new paddock is located versus the old design. It makes sense, doesn’t it? This revised layout produced a significant reduction of stream impacts, earthwork, and a more efficient, multi-functional paddock that can handle the challenges of a member track, rental track, and race track. I’m hoping this clarifies and shows you why we changed the paddock design. Please remember this is not USACE or KDOW’s fault for the delay. It’s mine.

We have been waiting for a more definite answer on a timeline because last week it was "supposed to be 4/17" (just a few days from now) and it's looking like this might be next week. I'm just as excited as you are. Probably more. I will continue to update you on here as we get closer to mobilizing. Please remember we are at the track every Saturday afternoon for updates and presentations, so if you have any questions or want to see the track for yourself, then please stop by. We will continue to post frequent updates on the internet while using the Constant Contact Newsletter for more formal updates. We like the newsletter service, however we have a significant amount of "bounces" after each newsletter because the individuals ISP thinks our newsletter is spam.

Thanks again for your patience and support.

-Brad

Porsche of the Village called yesterday and cancelled their event at Bluegrass for May 7th, but rescheduled for June 4th, so hopefully the track will be ready soon! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the invite! I can't make it this weekend, due to month-end business issues, but would like to join you guys soon....hopefully on your next get together!:smile:

This is getting a little old....

April 13th - 1010ths CANCELED
April 25-27 - CIR PCA CANACELED
May 2 - One Lap CANCELED
May 3 - 1010ths CANCELED
May 9 - 1010ths CANCELED
May 15-17 SCCA CANCELED
May 29 Cincy 2kClub CANCELED
June 5-7 Midwest/ Great Lakes - CANCELED

F-it, I'm going to Putnam!!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Last edited:
Next Sat-Sun Instructing with NASA. Putnam is exactly a 2-1/2 hr drive from Cincy to the track. NASA is fun to watch, because besides the HPDE they have real racing too.

Next OVR-PCA DE is at Putnam July17>19th, which looks like my next event, with what's happening at Bluegrass. I'll let you know if I hear anything else about the Porsche of Village event if June 4th event rescheduled. I love the Putnam track, but it's a haul to get there and back.:rolleyes:

so a buddy of mine who rides bikes went up and got 20 laps in. Said they need people to set up the track barriers, and they're paying $20/hour in track credits, just in case anyone was interested!

Track credits - that's like Delta dollars ~ worthless because they track isn't going to open. :cool:

Brad has more than "permit" problems....

BTW: All of my June events have now been canceled.

Track credits - that's like Delta dollars ~ worthless because they track isn't going to open. :cool:

Brad has more than "permit" problems....

BTW: All of my June events have now been canceled.

LMAO! Jim...savin people's asses everyday!!

I guess this is progress at Bluegrass! :confused:

Feff

IMPORTANT CONSTRUCTION UPDATE 5.06.09

Andy Vertrees met with Hinkle Construction yesterday to prepare for mobilization while I was driving back from Florida where I met with a few of the investors to ensure plan B is in place. This ensures that when we get the green light, we're moving earth and paving with no further delay. We're not taking any chances on this one. We continue to focus on the tasks at hand to get the facility operational and not let news that is two months old deviate us from our goal. Point being, we're moving forward after this slight delay. For the people who do not always see the positives of a situation, I assure you the sky is not falling.

Let's talk permits. As mentioned in our earlier posts, there are two key items that are still needed to open the track this Spring. It's really this simple. We have sent Redwing Ecological (our permit consultants) everything required to submit the impacts to the Corps and the integrated plan includes the new graded paddock design with the track. Our streams are very important to the watershed because the Ohio River is about one-mile downstream and so Redwing required an oil/water separator at the top of intermittent 1. This is agreeable and not a concern for any future delay.

We have over 30 people at the track working every weekend if you would like to stop by to discuss the project and take a touring lap. We are also there most days during the week.

To all supporters, I thank you for your commitment to Bluegrass. We all make the World the way it is and it's awesome to see people who share a common passion come together to ensure the success of Bluegrass Motorsports Park. Even though the past few months have been very lean, it has been the most rewarding from a social and business aspect since I started the company. Thank you.

Brad Poppell
President/CEO
[email protected]

According to Brad ~ construction was suppose to start two weeks ago, then last week and as of last Wednesday, tomorrow Jun 15th. I'm 15 minutes from the track and plan on stopping by tomorrow to get some pictures of either construction or Brad Poppell's FAIL! :cool:

this saddens me greatly :(

any clue what the real problem is?

Back