• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

White Phat Five Wheels on Red NSX

First to set the record straight I never doubted or disputed what the OP stated about the performance of smaller tires/wheels vs. what I’m running now. I’m sure if I put my OEM 17’s back on the car my car will drive quicker but I love the current stance of my car since I built my not for the track but for show/daily driving. If he wants those rims mainly for performance then great! But it’s definitely no looker that’s for sure.

Actually I drove my VERY first NSX way back in 1992 with the fat fives, I was still a sophomore in H.S. and my dad’s business partner at the time just bought a red NSX. This was how my love affair started with this car….hehehe – he handed me the keys and told me to take it for a spin. I was HOOKED ever since and this is why I tell people owning an NSX has been a 15+ year dream in the making!

I remember the NSX I drove back then felt very raw and definitely not as refined as my current 04 car. The driving position and sound of the car was so WAY ahead of it’s time though since you have to remember back in 1992, there was really not many cars like this one. I loved everything about the car but have to admit I knew very little about modified cars as I was still in my ricer days. Mitsubishi introduced the 3000GT VR4 a few years later and that was my dream car along with the MKIV Supra! Of course all of those cars were way out of my price range back then.

Anyways no disagreement with OP and me and no argument here! 15/16 or as you guys call it the Fat Fives is great if you are a performance oriented / track guy. I’m more of a show/daily driver type so my 18/18 or 18/19 setup works just as good for me. I push my car pretty hard and no rubbing on my setup either.

100_4886.JPG

I think that looks awesome!

I had a request for the pictures that disappeared.

Here's a few of the old white wheels that I found. I'm pretty sure this was with 25mm rear and 15mm front spacers and about 0.75" lowered all around.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Also, this is what I currently have now and my favorite over the past 12 years. If you chemically strip all the OEM paint off the phat fives (took me a week and a gallon of aircraft stripper), you'll find a machined wheel face and a matte finishing on the rest. It's not a shiny chrome look (which I'm not a fan of), but the unique machine face and contrasting sides makes it look pretty neat IMO. It's an extremely lightweight setup, and I also like the Kumho Ecsta V720's on it now too. The picture below of the rear has a 40mm spacer. Sorry for the secrecy in this picture from early 2016 - I didn't have the diffusor mounted that hides my turbos.

attachment.php

The ones I have include integral studs, but you get the picture of the varieties offered below.

HR%20Wheel%20Spacer%20Widths.jpg

I've previously used similar widths on my Formula Ford and widebody Porsche on the track, and spacers are perfectly safe when you pay attention to them. :smile:

@Saga

Here's a few pics of my white OEM wheels over the years.

Once I added the BBK I had to go to gunmetal because of the pad dust (even the street-friendly pads). OEM Acura pads were no problem and probably about the best you can do for strictly street driving IMO.

View attachment 168195View attachment 168196

Hey Mac Attack, could you post those pics again?

My Fat Fives are looking pretty sad and I was wondering about going this route. Many thanks!

Hey Mac Attack, could you post those pics again?

My Fat Fives are looking pretty sad and I was wondering about going this route. Many thanks!

Sorry - Haven't been online in awhile.

Had to dig back 15 years for this one! This one probably had 15mm spacers up front and 25 in the rear. I would recommend 25 up front and 40 in the rear for a more flush look, especially if yours is lower.

1.jpg

Thanks Mac Attack! That is exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks. Really like to drive with the 15'/16'. Car feels lighter. Not a huge grip but enough with good tires.

It's a good look! Car looks lowered-can you tell me what suspension and tires you are running?

Oh no. I ordered a lot of different sizes to get the right ones. It is a bit tricky. It is around 70 front and 64 rear... But not exactly.

Back