• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

White Phat Five Wheels on Red NSX

I’ve had a few inquire about my white OEM wheels from this thread:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119883

There’s been a lot of posts about how people have had to temporarily go back to the small OEM wheels/tires while waiting for new wheels, and how surprised they were with the handling gains. I’ve kept my OEM 15”/16” wheels on since they have low rotational inertia and are lightweight since this leads to a much better handling and quicker accelerating vehicle. That, and tires are cheap (this is my daily beater).

The problem is, they are old-looking and most NSX owners make fun of them (but non-NSX owners seem to like them?). Since mine needed to be refinished anyways, I thought I would sand and paint them just to see what they looked like. If I liked them, I would powdercoat later. I’m not a fan of the black or gunmetal wheels (to each their own), so I went the opposite route with a white wheel. The only other white phat five wheel I’ve seen on here was on an early white NSX and it looked pretty good. So I thought I would go ahead and make this thread about them on my red one.
Keep in mind that if you use aggressive pads for the track, some may quickly discolor the paint and even white powdercoat, but I use stock pads for the street and this isn’t an issue. That’s why not many track cars have white wheels unless they refinish often.

Prep/Painting:
With the tires still mounted (I’m not sure I would want to paint the whole wheel where the tires make contact with the wheel), I thoroughly cleaned them front and back. Then, I sanded out the rash with various grits, and then lightly went over the face to rough it up for paint. Sorry – I forget what grit I made the final pass at but you probably want no less than 800.
These were washed again with soap and water, then allowed to dry. I taped up the tires and then used a few coats of Rust-Oleum semi-gloss enamel, #7797 (semi-gloss white). After that, I sprayed a few Rust-Oleum clear coats on there too. These even look pretty decent up close. When I just had new tires mounted, I was surprised that not much touch-up was needed.

When finished, I scraped out the paint where it would make contact with the lug nuts just to be sure.

These have held up well for a year now with no discoloring (and it's parked outside in the hot S.C. sun during the day), but I use stock brake pads.

100_4886.JPG

100_4885.JPG

100_4882.JPG

Spacers:
On a lowered NSX, you pretty much need spacers for the street so the wheels don’t look so tucked in. I went with H&R 25mm on the rear (the ones with the integral studs so it’s just a plug-n-play), and H&R 15mm up front (with longer studs). I feel the fronts are just right, but the rears could be up to 35mm IMO. There’s really no noticeable difference in handling on the street with these, but I would be leery of using integral stud spacers on the track.

IMG_6437.JPG

Finally, I just finished redoing my aluminum center console so thought I would post a pic of it here too (what the heck). I’m working on removing unused parts of the car yet trying not to have it look like it’s been completely stripped….

IMG_6430.JPG

Love what you ve done with the wheels, but realy love your console. It inspired me last year when you first did it, so I did my similar.:biggrin:DSC02658.jpg

Your red car looks great with the white color you used! Thanks for sharing all the info as I've been thinking about painting my OE 15/16" wheels white and push them out with spacers, for a change. Just not sure about which shade of white to use with my Berlina Black NSX and where to buy. Hope fellow members will chime in with recommendation/s and pictures.

I always loved the driving experience with OE 15/16 wheels/tires (even more so with the NA2 Type-R suspension I once had). The current Advans work great but "bling" is also a part of the equation :wink:.

I love mine too. Got back to the oem 15/16 and found the acceleration is better coming from all 18" wheels. The white wheel look like Technomagnesio wheels which are my favourite. Here is mine with the 02 look and 25mm spacer front and 35mm rear. Honda got them right the first time around except for the offsets.

DSC014351.JPG

DSC014341.JPG

Jeez, who in their right mind would have five sets of these things? :biggrin:

JK - I had pictures of your car copied on my home computer since I was also contemplating painting them bronze like yours.

Dave

Thanks for the feedback!

Jin: I like how they look on your car - have you thought about photoshopping or painting them a lighter color like white? I think that would go pretty well with the blue. Where did you get the 35mm rear spacer? I think I recall from one of the threads you had it custom made?

Thanks,
Dave

I thought about painting them white after I look at your wheels. Maybe when I have another set of the same wheels. I've also been thinking on getting the 92 NSX-R wheels from Garage Kite in Japan.

Regarding the wheel adapters I had them made locally. The rear cost me about USD400 a set. Made of aluminium.

Thanks for the feedback!

Jin: I like how they look on your car - have you thought about photoshopping or painting them a lighter color like white? I think that would go pretty well with the blue. Where did you get the 35mm rear spacer? I think I recall from one of the threads you had it custom made?

Thanks,
Dave

At what width spacers will start affecting wheel bearing life?

Any spacer will negatively affect bearing/hub life. It's hard to quantify unless you have fatigue failure tests performed. I'm sure Honda didn't do this since they have enough experience in these designs, and have good enough data through their racing programs to know when to replace.

You raise a good question that I haven't seen adequately addressed here previously, so I'll give it a shot :tongue:

There's a variety of things to consider on bearing/hub/suspension design and life, like:

Static Properties:
- Weight of the vehicle (obviously a lighter vehicle is better).
- Wheel offset (ideally the center of tire/wheel mass width-wise should coincide with the center of the bearings). Any deviation like I've done with the spacers from the original design places more of a load on them as you've pointed out. Aftermarket wheels can also do this.

Dynamic Properties:
- Rotational inertia of the wheels/tires (less weight and a smaller moment arm reduces turning resistance and load on the bearings/hubs). This also aides in acceleration and braking.

For ultimate performance (obviously not looks), you want the smallest and lightest wheel possible that will clear the smallest brakes you can get away with to reduce the moment of inertia. Money factors into this as well.

Like I said above, even switching to heavier wheels/tires without affecting the offset will negatively impact bearing/hub loads anytime you use the steering wheel :smile: But people don't usually consider this when choosing wheels :smile:

So, even though I've spaced the wheels out a little, I hope I've counteracted this by reducing the weight of my car by ~10% and more to come.

Dave

Love the white rims on a red car, and +1 on the greatness of the OEM phat five's. I've got a set of 4 rears for my Legend and two of them were white when I got them so I had to decide what color for all of them. Since they're just track/auto-x rims, I went a different direction:

PinkNSXRims.jpg

Great rims though - super light and about as wide as can fit on a Legend without modification. If only Falken made better sizes for 16" rims in the RT-615's!

Dave those wheels look awesome man! Makes me want to paint the stockies bronze now

Wow I’m speechless with this thread – are you guys all serious about driving around on these 15/16” rims????? :confused:

OK I can see you using them on the track for it’s performance / weight savings but c’mon how much do these wheels REALLY weigh? The OEM 2002+ OEM wheels are super light forged wheels and would be the absolutely SMALLEST I would ever consider putting on my car!

I’m curious what these 15/16” stockers weigh?

I have quite a few 2002+ oem wheels in my garage and I’ll be happy to weigh them but I think they are around 18 lbs roughly each.

Are you guys serious about these wheels looking good or just saying it…………?

To each his own I guess

Years F/R Diameter Width Weight
1991 - 1993 Front 15" 6.5" 15.20 lbs.
1991 - 1993 Rear 16" 8" 18.86 lbs.
1994 - 2001 Front 16" 7" 16.75 lbs.
1994 - 2001 Rear 17" 8.5" 20.85 lbs.
1999 Zanardi Front 16" 7" 15.4 lbs.
1999 Zanardi Rear 17" 8.5" 17.8 lbs.
2002 - 2005 Front 17" 7" 17.35 lbs.
2002 - 2005 Rear 17" 9" 20.0 lbs.
2002 NSX-R Front 17" 7" 15.75 lbs.
2002 NSX-R Rear 17" 9" 17.55 lbs.

Wow I’m speechless with this thread – are you guys all serious about driving around on these 15/16” rims????? :confused:

OK I can see you using them on the track for it’s performance / weight savings but c’mon how much do these wheels REALLY weigh? The OEM 2002+ OEM wheels are super light forged wheels and would be the absolutely SMALLEST I would ever consider putting on my car!

I have quite a few 2002+ oem wheels in my garage and I’ll be happy to weigh them but I think they are around 18 lbs roughly each.

To each his own I guess

To each his own I guess

I really don't think they look that bad. 16/17" is the optimum size to fit over the 97+ brakes, but anything bigger looks silly IMO. Also, I don't care for 90% of the aftermarket wheels on our cars. I see a lot of folks go overboard which also kills the NSX looks, but to each their own. Are you 'rollin on 20's or something?

On the performance aspect, it's more than wheel weight, it's also tire weight (bigger/wider tires to fit on bigger/wider wheels are obviously heavier), and Moment Of Inertia (MOI) which is a combination of weight and where that weight is distributed from the rotating axis.

For a nice description of MOI, check out the articles Dali has throughout his site on wheels/tires and even flywheels.

Dave

I really don't think they look that bad. 16/17" is the optimum size to fit over the 97+ brakes, but anything bigger looks silly IMO. Also, I don't care for 90% of the aftermarket wheels on our cars. I see a lot of folks go overboard which also kills the NSX looks, but to each their own. Are you 'rollin on 20's or something?

On the performance aspect, it's more than wheel weight, it's also tire weight (bigger/wider tires to fit on bigger/wider wheels are obviously heavier), and Moment Of Inertia (MOI) which is a combination of weight and where that weight is distributed from the rotating axis.

For a nice description of MOI, check out the articles Dali has throughout his site on wheels/tires and even flywheels.

Dave

Dave,

I'm assuming you don't really look at posts around here.....:rolleyes:

20's must be the dumbest thing you can do to an NSX and I certainly have more taste than that! I just think 15/16' are quite un-tasteful for such a clean body. Putting "knobby" wheels like that is a sin IMO. A nice set of OEM 2002+ nsx wheels are perfectly adequate and looks clean and at least modern.

I prefer 18/19" setup for show and a 17/18" setup for the track. My GTV's were a 18/19" setup and now I'm running a BBS LM 18" setup till I find my 19" rears.

IMG_1755-1.jpg

I read your first post and kudos if you want to refinish your old wheels to look better. They do look much better than stock and if you are happy that's fine. Looks like you spent some time / elbow grease on turned out nicely. However there's no point in saying they make the car look nice. You have a pretty car and a very "dated" pair of shoes on there which may be great for the track but certainly not appealing.

Last edited:
It appears as if we have two different intended uses for our NSX's. Thanks for your feedback - let's respect our differences and just let it rest. I really don't care to get in a pissing match with you like so many other threads on Prime have degenerated to these days.

Take it easy,

Dave

I've been running 15/16's for long time now for a reason. They just feel really good when i'm pushing it. My nsx isn't for looks but for performance. People can make fun of them all they want but then they get smoked by my little 15/16 setup that's all the matters :)

Dave,

I'm assuming you don't really look at posts around here.....:rolleyes:

20's must be the dumbest thing you can do to an NSX and I certainly have more taste than that! I just think 15/16' are quite un-tasteful for such a clean body. Putting "knobby" wheels like that is a sin IMO. A nice set of OEM 2002+ nsx wheels are perfectly adequate and looks clean and at least modern.

I read your first post and kudos if you want to refinish your old wheels to look better. They do look much better than stock and if you are happy that's fine. Looks like you spent some time / elbow grease on turned out nicely. However there's no point in saying they make the car look nice. You have a pretty car and a very "dated" pair of shoes on there which may be great for the track but certainly not appealing.

Rick,

The NA1 coupe feels very different than a NA2 Targa. It feels less refined and, dare I say, more connected. I've tried different wheels on mine - 15/16's, 16/17's, and 17/18's. The 15/16's "feel" the best, no question about it. Although I run the stock 16/17's since I prefer their appearance over the 15/16's, I admire those that choose driving feel over appearance. Mac Attack is right - his NSX serves a different purpose than yours. Try driving a coupe with the fat fives and see for yourself.

Mike

Back