• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

North New Jersey Primers... I Need Your Help

i drove the car fine yesterday afternoon just fine. no problems at all. now that night, my nsx is having trouble idling when started. after it cranks, it wants to die, but it stays on. it sounds like a muscle car, and smells like its running rich also. when i blip the gas during idle, the rpms drop and it stalls/almost stalls. my tcs light also went on.

had this same problem about 1-2 weeks ago. tried starting it the next morning, it was fine.

i checked the codes and theyre as follows

p1201
p1202
p1203
p1204
p1205
p1206
p1300
p1399 (pd)

now, im getting these same exact codes. according to nsx wiki, they are misfiring codes. could it be the coil packs? im not sure the last time they were changed, if ever by the previous owner.

if its not the coil packs, what else could it be? the plugs are basically brand new < 3000miles. compression test / leak down test are fine done by larry b late last year.

heres a couple videos showing the problem

another thing is that the car is smoking a lot more than usual. im running catless, and it smells really rich in the rear. maybe the fuel not being burned off???

i was reading some threads on here. whats the chances that im burning valves by misfiring? the longest that i let the car idled for was maybe 1-2 minutes. i did not drive it.

thanks for the time.

so far, i have replaced the battery, all 6 coil packs, 6 spark plugs with brand new oem ones, and the problem persists

when i installed the new spark plugs, i let the car idle for about 10 seconds, and it was BLACK. i thought my fuel pressure regulator crapped out and i was dumping fuel in, so i installed a fuel pressure gauge and it reads 45/55psi with/without vacuum

Last edited:
Ryan, unless you really know what you're doing, get the car flatbedded to Larry B and let him get you back on the road before you do more damage than you want to. These engines aren't cheap, and I'd hate to see you mess up that beautiful yellow beast!!!

if its not the coil packs or the ignition module, the car will be getting flatbedded to larry.

im not exactly a "noobie". just trying to diagnose what i can and trying to fix the "simple" stuff

did you test the resistance in the coilpacks? Sparkplugs etc........

thanks to dave (winreboot) we were able to find out it is NOT the ignition module. according to him, it might be the coil pack like suspected. we will see by the end of ths week

If I may..... I know I have 2 less cylinders than you but my car is supercharged and I have gone through more electrical troubleshooting with it than I care to comment on. My suggestion is to check your grounds. I know nothing about your setup or the electronics involved (stand alone ECU, piggy back, rising rate regulator, etc). However I do know that ground problems produce extremely strange issues and because this happened before but cleared by itself lends me to believe you may have a ground that has become loose. I'm not sure where they are in the NSX but you may want to ask around and them check them.

It sounds like you are good but I have an ingintion module that you could borrow if you need it. I had Larry change mine a year or so ago (my car for some reason takes a second to start on occassion, nothing changed with the new module though). PM me if you need it.

test and see if the coilpacks are in range .9-1.1

Check all your grounds and electrical connections for the SC installation.
I think this is where the problem more likely lies.

My car has been off the road for months, you're welcome to borrow any part you want from it, I have the same year as you.

Check all your grounds and electrical connections for the SC installation.
I think this is where the problem more likely lies.

Sound familiar?? I'm telling you, check the grounds. Loose grounds cause strange issues.

Sound familiar?? I'm telling you, check the grounds. Loose grounds cause strange issues.

And John would know, being grounded loosely himself...

so i changed all the coil packs today, no change in problem

decided to take a look at the plugs, and they were all black and looks like all were fouled. no idea how that could have happened, but it *might* be the cause

its not the ignition module, since borrowing winreboots did not fix the problem

went to honda to order some ngk pfr7g-11s plugs. hopefully that will fix the problem

thats one of the first things you should always check. Next time you have a problem let me know i will come out and look at it. Forced induction cars go through plugs faster. Be sure to gap them.

Last edited:
I hope this fixes your problem but I am highly doubtful. All your plugs won't go bad at the same time. At least not enough to cause misfiring bad enough to notice.

I'll say it again...... it's 9:43AM on Friday.... do you know where your grounds are??

My experience tells me it's more likely that the plugs are dark because the car is running poorly, the car is probably not running poorly because the plugs are fouled (or at least not originallly). This would generally indicate a rich condition / unburnt fuel. Considering the reliability and precision of the oem fuel & spark management and ignition systems, I would agree with some others here and spend most of my time checking CTSC components first. I offered you any part from my car didn't hear back. I can also take a drive out there (though my foot is busted up) if you need a hand.

heres an update guys

coil packs changed into brand new oem... did not help

spark plugs changed into brand new oem ngk pfr7g11s, did not help

after letting the car idle for about 30 seconds, i checked "one" of the brand new plugs, and its blackened again, so i guess its safe to assume all of the plugs are the same

could it be a o2 sensor? timing belt issues? where the hell are the important ground points that deals specifically with ignition???

HELP!!!

Last edited:
Hmm, it could be plugs. I don't know what others opinion is on FI nsx and plugs. (separate topic) But I would not run iridium but would go with standard 1* colder. I run BKR7ES-11 (2387 NGK part#) Never had a problem. But each case is different. I hope you can get it fixed for the next run :)

Dave

OK like I originally stated, I'm not sure where the grounds are but now that you said your brand new plugs are already blackened I'm concerned about the SC and how your tuning is being done. I'm not familiar with Comptech SC'd NSXs but I want to know if you have a standalone fuel system that a "tuner" specifically dyno tuned for you, or is this a piggy back something or other system? Maybe with a rising rate regulator???. I would be seriously looking at the tune right now and possibly a component of the fuel system (comptech related) that may have failed.

I also think that unless you are ready to go down this long road of troubleshooting and you're very familiar with the Comptech SC you should contact Larry or a another tuner I know in PA that could help you.

can somebody elaborate more on the bad gas? how does a bad tank of gas cause me to run so rich and foul my plugs. i know i filled up with SHELL premium

i *think* i filled up when the station was being refilled.......

i did not do any changes to the car recently. its using the rising fuel pressure regulator which comes with the comptech kit. its still on the oem ecu

i have not checked my fuel pressure yet, but i do have a gauge coming. maybe ill just swap with the one in my civic.

as far as im aware, all my electrical components are working.

Larry, if youre reading this, get in touch with me!

Larry needs to talk to you......... this problem is not a bad tank of gas, I would almost put money on it.

so heres an update

finally got to install my fuel pressure gauge. its roughly 45/55psi with/without the vacuum connected, so i guess that rules out the rrfpr from being defective

my battery is brand spanking new from honda, i did check the terminals and they are corroded, but the electronics start up just fine.

i talked to larry b and he suggested i disconnect the spark detection module, which i did, and it did nothing

whats wrong? this is very frustrating

so heres an update

finally got to install my fuel pressure gauge. its roughly 45/55psi with/without the vacuum connected, so i guess that rules out the rrfpr from being defective

my battery is brand spanking new from honda, i did check the terminals and they are corroded, but the electronics start up just fine.

i talked to larry b and he suggested i disconnect the spark detection module, which i did, and it did nothing

whats wrong? this is very frustrating
Flat bed it to Larry, let him stress it through and fix it, problem solved!!!

from the first video, doesn't seem like that new battery is seeing more than 11volts on start up.

Back