• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Apple Macbook Pro 17'' vs. Dell Studio XPS 16''

Apple vs. Dell

• Total voters
Windows 7 is nothing special. I don't get what the hype is all about. It is almost exactly the same as Vista.

The Window management is nicer. It's much more intuitive. It's a small learning curve from XP to 7, but Vista was not.

Overall it is a decent computer--and especially with the huge price difference I will have to think twice about the Macbook Pro. I can get 8 Gb of DDr3 Ram, a 2.93 Ghz processor, and a 256 Gb SSD for about $1000.00 less than a MacbookPro with lesser hardware/specs.

Hopefully it won't burn like this Macbook Pro either. :) My gf's MBP coincidentally had problems with the magnetic connector but not to this extent.
mbponfire1cw.jpg
mbponfire2cw.jpg

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T9800 (6MB cache/2.93GHz/1066Mhz FSB)
6GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1067MHz (2 Dimms)
256GB Solid State Drive

Get the Dell and WAIT for Windows 7 you won't be disappointed! I'm running it now on a Dell Laptop with 4GB of memory and Intel's X25M SSD. I'm blown away by the performance!

OK, so I came across a disturbing realization while playing with the Macbook Pro in the Apple Store:

You cannot maximize windows on a Mac!?!?!?!?!

Pressing that green button makes the window bigger, but not full-screen? I don't really get the point of that. I've read the reasoning behind it, and I think it is a lot of BS.

Also, can you set your Mac so that windows cover the dock when you enlarge them? When I tried to maximize windows, it wouldn't let me drag the window over the dock or the little menu at the top.

Anyone else excited about the changes announced at WWDC?

Performance upgrades + Price drops.

Glad I waited.

On a side note, I must warn anyone who is looking at the Dell Studio XPS 16:

DO NOT BUY THIS LAPTOP.

This thing looks great and works great right out of the box. I was very pleased with the performance of the computer.

However, after about 1 month of use I have started to notice that it seems that it won't last longer than a year.

The AC Adapter is now making a sizzling noise sporadically. I have no idea what this means, but I am sure it is not good. I am almost worried that the battery will explode or something when I am least expecting it.

The leather trim is apparently glued on to the laptop casing, and it is ever-so-slightly starting to come off. When you press on it, you can feel a little bit of give and you can hear a little creaking/cracking. I am sure that over time, it will have more problems.

I forgot if I reported on the keyboard problems, but they are only getting worse. I feel as if I am developing carpel tunnel now (never had this problem before on any laptop/keyboard), and the shift key has become very wobbly.

All the plastic panels are filthy. They really are grease and fingerprint magnets.

The laptop runs extremely hot, and the fan is almost always on now.

Battery charge is 2 hours max.

Last edited:
The 13" unibody MacBook is now called MacBook Pro. Only the white polycarbonate/plastic model is now called MacBook. Price drop is sure welcomed. All MacBook Pro's now have illuminated keyboards, SD memory slot, Firewire 800, and a few other changes. Glad I waited. I will be getting a 13" MacBook Pro. :smile:

Anyone else excited about the changes announced at WWDC?

Performance upgrades + Price drops.

Glad I waited.

On a side note, I must warn anyone who is looking at the Dell Studio XPS 16:

DO NOT BUY THIS LAPTOP.

This thing looks great and works great right out of the box. I was very pleased with the performance of the computer.

However, after about 1 month of use I have started to notice that it seems that it won't last longer than a year.

The AC Adapter is now making a sizzling noise sporadically. I have no idea what this means, but I am sure it is not good. I am almost worried that the battery will explode or something when I am least expecting it.

The leather trim is apparently glued on to the laptop casing, and it is ever-so-slightly starting to come off. When you press on it, you can feel a little bit of give and you can hear a little creaking/cracking. I am sure that over time, it will have more problems.

I forgot if I reported on the keyboard problems, but they are only getting worse. I feel as if I am developing carpel tunnel now (never had this problem before on any laptop/keyboard), and the shift key has become very wobbly.

All the plastic panels are filthy. They really are grease and fingerprint magnets.

The laptop runs extremely hot, and the fan is almost always on now.

Battery charge is 2 hours max.

Have you called Dell about the problems? They will probably send you a new one. I think yours is messed up. Did you get it new from Dell?

OK, so I came across a disturbing realization while playing with the Macbook Pro in the Apple Store:

Pressing that green button makes the window bigger, but not full-screen? I don't really get the point of that. I've read the reasoning behind it, and I think it is a lot of BS.

Also, can you set your Mac so that windows cover the dock when you enlarge them? When I tried to maximize windows, it wouldn't let me drag the window over the dock or the little menu at the top.

I'm not sure which reasoning you read, but here's my understanding: The maximizing of windows is a holdover from the days in Windows when the MDI (Multiple Document Interface) windowing structure was popular. You can probably recall when an application would have a single parent window which was blank and inside would be multiple document windows. If you maximized a document, it maximized to the parent window instead of the entire screen. Office used to work that way, as did many other apps. Maximizing the parent window made a lot of sense, since you were working with multiple documents inside. You could also maximize your document window so that the parent window became the document window.

On the Mac, windows are generally associated with documents, and you are meant to be able to see in between the documents to the windows of other applications too. MDI windows prevent that because especially when maximized, they block the view of everything. Thus on the Mac, there has been some historical resistance of simply maximizing windows because part of the usage pattern was the idea of clicking on different overlapped windows to switch between them. The "resize" green button generally tried to size the window to be just right for whatever content was inside. Some applications that worked better with lots of space use the green button to maximize, because that is what works best. So the end result is that the application developer decides whether to maximize or not.

You can show and hide the dock by pressing Cmd-Opt-D, iirc. If it is hidden, it slides out when the pointer is at the bottom of the screen, and windows will get to use the space. You can also change the dock's size by dragging up and down the little divider line near the left side. You can make it pretty tiny.

Last edited:

You can make the window whatever size you wish, even larger than the actual desktop if you want. I use two monitors and throw windows all over, or even just leave a corner on the desktop to grab when I need the window. The one thing I really hate about Windows now is that I have to un-maximize a window to move it.

The +/- buttons then either jump back to that size from a reduced size, or drop the window onto the dock.

The menu bar is always the menu bar. It goes away on some media apps.

The dock is a ghost. It comes up over the app window, and goes away when the curser is moved away.

Thanks for the tips.

I put my MBP on order, and it is on its way.

The Dell HDD is now making a lot of noises.

So my fairly new acer ferrari 1000 took a shit on me today while just watching videos on youtube. Buy a mac, this is getting stupid.

I've never liked Acer, I've had to fix a few because they had poorly designed cooling and the heat sinks actually separated from the cpu. But this mentality is how a lot of computer users switch from one platform to another. Just this last week one of the users at a law firm I work for was frustrated with his 20" iMac because his apps kept crashing and it was running slow. Rather than have me fix it, he just wanted me to build him a PC with Vista. Total bill was under $800. So far he's happy as a clam.

<object width="450" height="370"><param name="movie" value="http://www.liveleak.com/e/adf_1245828170"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.liveleak.com/e/adf_1245828170" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="450" height="370"></embed></object>

I've never liked Acer, I've had to fix a few because they had poorly designed cooling and the heat sinks actually separated from the cpu. But this mentality is how a lot of computer users switch from one platform to another. Just this last week one of the users at a law firm I work for was frustrated with his 20" iMac because his apps kept crashing and it was running slow. Rather than have me fix it, he just wanted me to build him a PC with Vista. Total bill was under $800. So far he's happy as a clam.

I told my brother in law this last night. He runs the entire data processing section of a large west coast printing corporation. He does everything from desk tops to servers to pulling the cables.

Anyhow, they have ~250 PCs and ~20 Macs. From what he told me is the commercial is extremely deceiving because the 20 mac desktops require considerably more work (including physical parts replacement) than all of the 250 PCs combined. He mentioned several other factors that the commercial brings up that also deceptive.

That is crazy. I still want to try a mac for a long period of time though. I just really don't want to go through that learning curve.

Anyhow, they have ~250 PCs and ~20 Macs. From what he told me is the commercial is extremely deceiving because the 20 mac desktops require considerably more work (including physical parts replacement) than all of the 250 PCs combined. He mentioned several other factors that the commercial brings up that also deceptive.

This is my experience as well. We support a mixed environment of PCs and Macs, about 1000 computers total, with about the same ratio. The Macs require just as much support as the PCs, if not more. The idea that Macs are somehow easier to use is just false. If you're a competent computer user, you'll find both PCs and Macs easy enough; if you're computer challenged, you'll flounder regardless. And both platforms routinely have catastrophic hardware issues.

I always tell people, buy what you like. It doesn't matter what kind of computer you use; the important thing is the content that you produce with that computer.

This is my experience as well. We support a mixed environment of PCs and Macs, about 1000 computers total, with about the same ratio.

I'll one up you. :) I work for a company that started off on the Apple platform and moved to Wintel hardware. Over 30k desktops, around 4k servers which are about 80% Windows servers. OT but Apple is not even remotely competitive in the server space. But yes, after the switch the hardware costs and support costs decreased dramatically. I have a consulting practice where I convert the converted on a regular basis. Users are usually fanatics about something until it breaks and they can't figure out why and rather than fixing the problem, they replace the system entirely and fall in love all over again.

Computers are very much like cars, they require maintenance and some know how to keep them in good shape. Some are more reliable than others. Apples remind me of Mercedes. Good marketing, sometimes beautiful and a good fan following. They have higher TCO, expensive to fix, some novel ideas that work well but are a pain when they break and some extra points of failure. The Hondas and Toyotas are the HP and Dell business line of computers and notebooks. They are used everywhere, very reliable, fairly no frills, inexpensive. The same way Honda can make an NSX, HP and Dell can make their higher end computers. Then there's the kit car dude, system builder, like me. :) We can buy parts off the shelf and build smoking systems that neither of these companies can touch... Tweaking and modding every little detail. :redface:

Well I'm still trying to find that NSX of PC laptops. I can build a bulletproof desktop but I don't know of a option that would provide me with the same type of hardware and software durability in a PC laptop.

So far, it seems like the Mac laptops have been fairly superior from observing friends who own them. Or they could just simply be leaving out those details when we talk lol

Well I'm still trying to find that NSX of PC laptops. I can build a bulletproof desktop but I don't know of a option that would provide me with the same type of hardware and software durability in a PC laptop.

So far, it seems like the Mac laptops have been fairly superior from observing friends who own them. Or they could just simply be leaving out those details when we talk lol

From my own research, I've found Apple Macbook Pros to be the best of the best (when you aren't shopping for gaming laptops).

I've come across several satisfaction surveys that found Apple consumers to be the most satisfied, and the laptops to be the most reliable.

Personally, I don't think you can beat that you can get a 17 inch laptop with a 1900 x 1200 screen, up to 8 hours of battery life, up to 8 gb of ddr3 memory, up to 3.06 ghz intel dual core, and up to a 500gb 7200 rpm hdd--in a beautiful all-aluminum chassis that is less than 1 inch thin and that weighs only 6.6 lbs.

Literally--there is nothing else out there that competes. Believe me, I have searched and the closest I could find is the Dell Studio XPS.

Now that isn't to say Apples are without problems. If you check out macrumors.com, you can find plenty of complaints and defects in their line. The most alarming problem these days is that their magsafe charger has a flaw that caused many peoples' chargers to catch on fire/melt/fray. Although only a handful of people have had this problem, I think it is serious enough to warrant scrutiny.

However, it seems that they are rather good about taking care of the problem.

If I wasn't getting an Apple, I think I would have to choose IBM Thinkpad/Lenovo Thinkpads for laptops. They are pretty solid. I was, and remain, completely unimpressed by Dell.

If I wasn't getting an Apple, I think I would have to choose IBM Thinkpad/Lenovo Thinkpads for laptops. They are pretty solid. I was, and remain, completely unimpressed by Dell.

ThinkPads are good hardware; unfortunately, Lenovo seems to think that their ThinkVantage line of software is the greatest thing since sliced bread, and cripples every machine with a full install of that crapware. Fdisk the machine to the metal, install a plain OEM Windows XP with a minimal complement of drivers, and you've got a great machine. Otherwise, a slow, unreliable pig.

From my own research, I've found Apple Macbook Pros to be the best of the best (when you aren't shopping for gaming laptops).

I've come across several satisfaction surveys that found Apple consumers to be the most satisfied, and the laptops to be the most reliable.

Personally, I don't think you can beat that you can get a 17 inch laptop with a 1900 x 1200 screen, up to 8 hours of battery life, up to 8 gb of ddr3 memory, up to 3.06 ghz intel dual core, and up to a 500gb 7200 rpm hdd--in a beautiful all-aluminum chassis that is less than 1 inch thin and that weighs only 6.6 lbs.

Literally--there is nothing else out there that competes. Believe me, I have searched and the closest I could find is the Dell Studio XPS.

Now that isn't to say Apples are without problems. If you check out macrumors.com, you can find plenty of complaints and defects in their line. The most alarming problem these days is that their magsafe charger has a flaw that caused many peoples' chargers to catch on fire/melt/fray. Although only a handful of people have had this problem, I think it is serious enough to warrant scrutiny.

However, it seems that they are rather good about taking care of the problem.

So did you go buy the Mac?

Yeah, so I got the Apple MBP 17 (3.06 Ghz processor, 4gb DDR3 RAM, 7200 RPM 500 Gb HDD, anti-glare screen).

I'll start with the good:

The OS + trackpad is amazing. Being able to access expose and the application switcher with a four-finger swipe really makes you wonder what all those other computer makers/MS have been doing all this time. Combined with spaces, this is easily the best multi-tasking machine available out there. The trackpad just gets more and more amazing as I use it. This is hands-down the best trackpad on the market. The PC makers are starting to implement multi-touch, but they only have features like zoom. I guarantee you will not be disappointed with the Mac UI. The trackpad is so good, I don't even use my mouse anymore, even when I am at home and I have the option to.

I think everyone can agree that the design is the most beautiful of all the laptops out there. The aluminum construction is gorgeous, and the fit-and-finish is excellent.

The backlit keyboard is VERY useful at night. Even with lighting in the home, the backlit keyboard just makes everything more easily usable. The Dell turns the keyboard lighting off after a few seconds, and so it is not really helpful because you end up having to touch the keypad to turn it on before you can see the keys. It was really annoying. With the mac, you can adjust the brightness yourself, turn it off completely, or let the mac adjust it automatically with the ambient lighting (same with the screen).

The battery life is short of the 8 claimed hours, but it is still the longest-lasting battery I've ever used. I can finally just take my computer out and not worry about finding somewhere to plug in. Battery life is critical when you want a TRUE portable computer, and the macbook pro delivers. I am getting approximately 6-7 hours just running OSX with 50% brightness, and the keyboard lighting off (light web browsing). I also run VMware fusion and virtualize Windows 7, and that takes battery life down to 5-5.5 hrs. When you boot up in windows 7 natively in bootcamp, it is 4 hrs or less.

The screen is just the most gorgeous screen I've ever used. The 1920 x 1200 resolution makes text VERY small though, and OSX doesn't have a system-wide option to adjust text size like in Windows. There are some things that I still cannot enlarge, and so I have to squint and move my head in towards the screen (I have decent eyesight), but I found a FFx extension that enlarges everything so browsing is not a problem. You should be able to zoom for all your apps too, so you will just have to do it manually.

I got the anti-glare model, and after adjusting the color calibration and the contrast settings, the screen is just as good as the glossy one in terms of sharpness and colors--sometimes, even better because you have no glare. The text looks like you are reading it on a regular piece of paper, so if you need this as a work computer, I can easily recommend the anti-glare screen hands-down. I love it; I was worried at first because the in-store models looked grainy compared to the glossy screens, but once you adjust the settings it is gorgeous. The anti-glare model def cuts down on galre, and it is usable with direct sunlight through a window behind you. The glossy screen is unusable unless you adjust the angle to cut down on glare. The AG model does not eliminate glare completely, but it is muted by a lot and you can use it in almost all lighting conditions indoors. The screen does wobble a little bit after you adjust the angle of the screen. The Dell was rock-solid, and did not shimmer at all. It doesn't bother me much, but it is something to note. Also, the screen is not that "soft" flexible type as I have had on other matte computers. It appears to be textured glass, although I am not absolutely sure. It may be some hard plastic or acrylic--but it feels very solid. If you press on it, it does NOT do that blob thing some computers do. And pressing on the back of the screen casing does not cause any distortion.

The laptop runs cooler than the Dell when it is unplugged and you are using the lower-powered GPU. It is cool-to-the-touch, and it very comfortable. However, when you are charging the computer + running the 9600M GT, the computer gets VERY hot on the surface right by the plug, and in the area between the hinge and the keyboard. It would literally be burning hot if you left your hand on that area and didn't react to the heat. Luckily, you don't really put your hand up there usually, and it is cooler (although still hot) by the palm rests and left side of the computer. The right side is absolutely cool.

Last edited:
I am impressed with your battery life. My dell is no good for more than 1.5 hours. I look forward to more updates. So did you get an Iphone to go with it?

i run vista with bootcamp, ubuntu and redhat on parallels. all seamless. my macbook pro "hackintosh" is the best machine ive ever owned (and ive owned ALOT of computers). just suck it up and pay the extra money for the mac because, in the end the mac's technology will outlast the pc's. a pc is a throw away machine for me now. whenever one of my friends gets a new pc, i buy it off of them (for a ridiculously low price because no pc will ever hold its value in the used tech market) and gut them to experiment. maybe ive just been converted into a fanboy, but i stand my ground. mac>pc.

Picture1-5.png

The bad:

I got the upgraded 7200 RPM HDD model (5400 RPM is the standard) and most of the people that got this model have a problem with the HDD making click/beep noises and freezing momentarily. I have even had some system freezes that last for a minute or so. Once I even had to press the power button to shut down, and restart the unit.

I believe this is the first time Apple has used this HDD, and I do believe it is a problem with the HDD itself. Nevertheless, it is still a defect and it is very annoying. The system itself is usable; it occurs sporadically. I thought Apples were "just supposed to work".

The worst part about the Apple experience was the customer service I have received. It has been absolutely terrible in my opinion. I really couldn't believe that I was dealing with Apple. I mean, I could get better service at a used-car dealership. I called the day after receiving my unit to complain about the HDD, and no one was apologetic. They just said that they would make a note, and "escalate my case to the next level". I called every day for a week, and nothing was done. No phone calls, no emails, nothing.

Also, when you call about a problem on your computer, they put you on hold for 10 minutes + before you can speak to someone. I have never waited on the phone for so long. I have always seen TV shows making fun of the wait times for customer service, but I have never lived it until I dealt with Apple. Last Friday, I was on the phone for 1 + hour and I was transferred through 10+ departments. I spent most of the time on hold waiting for someone.

I was even disconnected twice while on hold, although Apple did call me back--to put me back on hold.

I thought going to the Apple store to see a genius would help, so I made an appointment with a genius. When I went to see him, I didn't get any smiles or "sorries" or anything. He wouldn't even help me. He just told me to call 1-800-my apple. He was even rude and condescending, and not careful with my computer at all. I had a problem with the bottom panel on my unit. It was a little loose, and when you pressed down in the center or picked it up from the sides, you could feel a creaking/a little give and play. The other units in-store didn't have this problem. So I complained to the genius, and he took a look at it. He was not careful with my computer, and put it on the lid on the table upside down. I placed a microfiber sleeve underneath to protect it from scratches. He pressed in on the panel, and said "it was normal". lol. This is Apples answer to everything. No one has ever heard of the problems you are having, and everything is "normal". I told him that even the engineer I spoke to on the phone said it was not normal, and the genius started ranting about how he was not an engineer, and none of the geniuses are engineers. I didn't understand the point of his rant--I was simply trying to tell him it wasn't normal and we could compare it to the other units in the store. He then started ranting about how I shouldn't use the message forums as reliable sources of information. I found this to be really insulting. Firstly, the other service reps I talked to, themselves, used the message forums to investigate my HDD problem. I wasn't the one that suggested it first. Secondly, how dare he tell me how to research the problems with my computer. I just thought it was rude and inappropriate. He just kept implying that we were all lying, and that all our problems were normal. He ended up not doing anything, and just making another note for their system.

I was very polite for the week that I was waiting until that last day--then I started yelling on the phone telling them that I wouldn't be transferred or put on hold for hours at a time anymore. I finally got on the phone with someone that actually did something, and they said they would give me a goodwill gesture to placate me. They then transferred me to someone else, and this last guy finally was able to pull some strings to get things moving on a replacement. He had to talk to his superiors, so it took him a day to get back to me with a resolution. Before anything was done, I was so fed up with the service that I told them to refund my money and take the computer back. They even went so far as to say that I could not because it was a custom order configuration, and that they won't take those back. That infuriated me because they have done nothing to solve the problem, and now they wouldn't even take the computer back for a full refund. Some other reps suggested that they would take a re-stocking fee off if they did take the computer back, which imo, is ridiculous since the unit came with a defect. It wasn't like I had just changed my mind.

Anyways, eventually, after a lot of complaints and yelling, I finally was put on the phone with someone higher up on the chain. They finally agreed to "cross-ship" a replacement, which means they will ship out the new unit before I have to return the old one. I was satisfied with this solution--it was all I had wanted in the first place. They put in the order for the new unit, and they upgraded the shipping to two-day delivery. When I spoke with them about the goodwill gesture they promised me, of course, they had no records of that. I thought this was hilarious since all their notes had been so detailed prior to the goodwill gesture matter. She ended up giving me complementary Apple Care for the product, which is basically an extension of your warranty from one to three years. She, however, seemed to be upset about giving me the Applecare and was very condescending about the whole matter. She said something along the lines of "we are giving you a heck of a deal here", and she made sure to mention the price of everything to suggest Apple was bending over backwards to placate me. I thought it was a nice gesture, and it satisfied me, but everyone's attitude (except one or two people) at Apple has been rude and condescending.

So to summarize the bad:

1. Atrocious customer service for a week (rudeness, condescending attitude, lack of response, lack of acknowledgement)
Sharp edges that will dig into your palm/wrist (this is aluminum, and although it shouldn't cut your skin, it is very uncomfortable)
2. Bottom panel has give/play when you press in the center.
3. Battery life does not live up to 8 hour claim unless you are at less than 50% brightness and not doing anything but staring at the screen.
4. Keyboard is beautiful, but the tactile response it gives is not good. My typing is slower than on my Lenovo, and the chiclet design slows you down since everything is spaced out a little further than normal. However, this may improve once I rewire my brain and get used to this one. As for now, I can type lightening-fast on my lenovo, but rather slow on the MBP with errors.
5. The high resolution makes all the font small

To summarize the good:

1. Amazing user-interface.
2. The trackpad with multi-touch is the best I have EVER used, and I don't think I could ever go back to anything else less than Apple's multi-touch interface.
3. Beautiful design. Just gorgeous.
4. For a 17 inch computer, it feels very small and i svery portable. It weighs 6.6 lbs, but feels very light when I carry it around. Feels lighter than my Lenovo 15.4 inch laptop.
5. The screen is the best screen I have ever used. Text looks like you are reading it on paper (but everything is so crisp and sharp)

So the MBP has its ups and downs (e.g. beautiful high-res screen gives a lot of real estate, but makes fonts crazy small).

Overall, I think it is a great computer once the HDD issue is worked out, but the customer service I have personally experienced at Apple has been the worst in my lifetime. I have really never experienced anything like it before--and considering I just purchased their top-of-the-line laptop with many upgraded features for over $2500, I think it is just unacceptable.

Oh yeah, and the Apple fanboys hate it when you criticize anything about Apple. Even if it is Apple's fault, they blame you or tell you that you are being too picky.

I should probably also talk about Bootcamp and virtualizing windows:

Installing Windows 7 RC via bootcamp was easy. You just partition the HDD using their bootcamp guide, and insert the Win7 iso DVD. You then boot up in windows, and insert the OSX DVD to install the drivers. You get tap-to-click, two-finger right click, and vertical two-finger scrolling, but nothing else. I found tap-to-click to be a little buggy because it seems to always think it is the two-finger right-click, so you always get the drop-down menu when you are scrolling. There also seems to be no touch-check feature, so sometimes your cursor will jump when your palm hits the touchpad.

Also, to get aero, you have to dl and install some drivers form the Nvidia website.

I think that it is amazing that I can dual-boot Win7 and OSX, and bootcamp runs windows7 just fine. The only negative is that programs seem to take a little longer to load initially, but once it is loaded into the ram, it is fast. I can't be sure if that is due to the HDD problem or not.

You can't get aero via VMware, but VMware works just fine. There is very little lag, and it is completely functional for everyday use. It does take longer to bootup and shut down, but other than that Fusion is a great technology.

If you need to run Windows software for work, I would still recommend just using a PC. But if want an Apple, you can definitely make it work.

I am impressed with your battery life. My dell is no good for more than 1.5 hours. I look forward to more updates. So did you get an Iphone to go with it?

Yeah, I am amazed by the battery life too. I have never been able to use a laptop like this before. Because the trackpad is so useful, you don't need to bring a mouse with you. And depending on how long you need the computer and what type of computing you will be doing, you may not need to bring your AC adaptor with you.

Just pick up, and go. I have a LARGE 1920 x 1200 res screen, but the computer just feels extremely light and nimble/portable--even more portable than my 15.4 inch lenovo.

It has really changed the whole laptop experience. I was never truly portable before because I always had to plug-in and carry a mouse. If I didn't carry a mouse, navigating was a pain. The MBP takes care of all that and more.

And I know it is stupid, but because the computer is so beautiful, it just makes you happy when you use it. It's like the NSX--it just puts a smile on your face. You will also love the utility of spaces and expose. I put my windows apps in separate spaces, and I can switch between OSX and windows with a click. It is just amazing. You have to use it to appreciate it. I knew I could do that before, but using it myself just blew me away.

And I do think I will be switching over to the iPhone soon. It was between the iphone and the Blackberry Tour, but having played with the Blackberry Bold in the ATT store, I can say that--again--Apple's user-interface blows away the competition. I am a little worried about ATTs reception, but I just think I can get down with a blackberry. I personally hate the trackball (although I know some people love it).

If you still want a PC laptop, I hear that the Lenovo T400 can get 6-7 hours with the 9 cell battery, and you can get the optional optical-bay extended battery to take it up to 10+ hours. It will add a little bulk and weight, but it is worth it imo.

However, I have heard that the thinkpad quality has gone down since Lenovo took over from IBM. So sad...I really loved IBM Thinkpads. They are solid machines.

So if you don't need any MS software (you just want to browse the web and chat) the MBP def gets the nod for me. It is pricey, but if you can afford to play, it will be awesome. Although MS analogs are perfectly functional, the basic programs included in the mac are just much more pleasurable to use. iChat is so much better than AIM/trillian/digsby; the calender app is great (although I haven't found a snooze function for the alarm); and the mail app is great too. I never really liked Outlook--I switched over to Mozilla thunderbird long ago. Also, the windows are not as pretty as Windows7 aero (clear) windows, but the other features outweigh that imo.

Are you thinking of getting a MBP?

Last edited:
Back