• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Choosing an iPod Adapter for your oem NSX Stereo - the condensed version.

iPod adapter FAQ

I field a lot of questions about installing an iPod adapter in the NSX, so I decided to do a FAQ of sorts for this topic.

Which adapter should I get to pair my iPod with my oem NSX stereo?

To add iPod/iPhone playback to your oem NSX stereo, I prefer using the USA-Spec PA11-HON. This is by no means the only adapter you can choose, but it is the one I prefer, for several reasons:

1. It charges the iPod, but won't overcharge it. It stops charging after an hour of the iPod being idle.
2. You can control the iPod from your oem stereo, or you can control the iPod from itself.
3. You get a second input for XM, cell phone, whatever. So you can listen to XM, your cell phone mp3 player, or whatever through your oem NSX stereo.
4. It is well-built and reliable.

I have another brand mp3 player, not an iPod. Can I just use my mp3 player wherever it says iPod in this writeup?

No, you can't. But don't fret, you still have options! If you have another brand of mp3 player, the adapter I recommend is the USA-Spec DF-HON. It is a simpler adapter - you don't get head unit control and it doesn't charge the mp3 player, but other than that installation is pretty much the same. You still need the 8-pin cable and you have to locate the mp3 player where you can reach it and control it, which negates glovebox or trunk mounting. Because of the lack of charging and lack of head unit control, I recommend that you buy an inexpensive iPod mini and make the switch to the iPod. But if you are determined to keep your current non-iPod mp3 player, get the USA-Spec DF-HON.

Is it compatible with my 1991 NSX oem stereo? It doesn't say that it is...

Yes, it is compatible with all NSX oem stereos, 1991-2005. All oem NSX stereos are the same.

Will it work with my oem CD changer?

No, your CD changer will be replaced by your iPod. Trust me, you won't miss it. The CD changer holds about sixty songs - an iPod mini holds between 500-1500 songs depending on which one you get, or you could get a larger iPod for even more music. Each GB of iPod capacity is worth approximately 250 songs, so an Ipod Classic 160GB will hold about 40,000 songs. (Good luck finding enough music you like to fill that one.) Remove the CD changer from the trunk and gain a little extra trunk space.

Will it work with my particular iPod?

That depends on which iPod you have. The latest version of this adapter will work with all iPods/iPhones with dock connector. It is not compatible with iPods that have the USB connector.

Are all of the USA-Spec PA11-HON adapters the same?

There are several versions of this particular adapter. The newest version is compatible with current generation iPods/iPhones as well as previous generation iPods/iPhones with dock connector (not compatible with USB connector iPods). It has dual mode (head unit and direct control, selectable from the NSX stereo) and dual charging (charges both newer generation as well as older generation iPods). The previous version had hybrid mode but only charged previous generation iPods. The first generation had switches where you had to preselect the mode you wanted, head unit or direct control, and only charged previous generation iPods/iPhones. Try to get the latest version if possible, as it is more versatile and allows for future iPod upgrades.

Does it matter where I buy the USA-Spec adapter?

It doesn't really matter where you buy it, but again you should try to get the latest version available. Frequently these adapters are sold through a discounter and the sales person really doesn't know which version it is, they are just selling the stock they have on hand, whatever comes in the package, and they really don't know anything about it. Generally speaking, it is best to purchase through a stereo shop or other specialty shop as they tend to have better technical knowledge of the products that they are selling.

Anything else I should watch out for?

The latest version of the USA-Spec PA11-HON is compatible with all iPhones and most iPods, and is shipped with a "combination cable" that had both 8-pin and 14-pin connectors on the iPod cable. This cable works fine. The earlier versions normally come with a 14-pin cable which is not correct for the NSX. When you order, be absolutely certain to make sure that you get either the "combination cable" or the the 8-pin round cable, and not the 14-pin cable (the cable with the blue connector that is typically pictured with these units). If the seller can't tell you which cable it comes with or otherwise doesn't know what you are talking about (remember, frequently they are just selling whatever is prepackaged), then find another seller who does.

MyLife2

Is this thing hard to install?

It really isn't - any kid with a screwdriver and a dream can install it. It is fairly simple to hook up the adapter to the CD changer cable (the one that goes to the trunk) connector located behind the driver's head. Or with a little more effort you can remove the center console* to access the rear of the NSX stereo, plug in the 8-pin cable, and "bury" the adapter down underneath the oem stereo where it will be completely hidden. Just follow the console removal directions and you will be fine - it is a screwdriver job. If you decide to "bury" the adapter, make sure that all your cable connections are snug, as you don't want to have to go back in there to plug in a cable that you didn't get pushed all the way in the first time. Then locate the iPod in the glovebox and the whole thing will be invisible - the interior of your car will be completely stock. You could hide the cable for the second input alongside the center console, where you could connect your cell phone (or something else).

Where do I put the iPod?

You have essentially four choices:

1. Center Console - Best - Hides the iPod althought not lockable, and is climate-controlled. Offers best access with both direct and head unit control. Still charges of course. You will have to drill two small holes in a hidden spot in back of the center console to route the iPod cable.
2. Glovebox - Good - Hides the iPod, is lockable, and is climate-controlled. No convenient direct control of the iPod, but head unit control works fine, so this isn't a big issue. The adapter charges the iPod, so you don't have to plug and unplug it all the time. You can leave the iPod in the glovebox for weeks or months...
3. Dash Mount - Good - Some people prefer this location so they can handle and view the iPod while driving. The iPod isn't hidden, but it is in a climate-controlled spot and of course still charges.
4. Trunk Mount - Good - You can install the USA-Spec Adapter in about ten minutes in the trunk. Unplug the CD Changer in the trunk, plug in the adapter (it doesn't require a separate power source), plug in the iPod, and you are ready to listen to music. It still charges in the trunk. Also useful for testing the device prior to permanent installation.

Is there anything I have to do to set up the iPod for use in the NSX?

You have to set up five playlists on the iPod, using iTunes on your computer. The playlists must be named HONDA1, HONDA2, HONDA3, HONDA4, and HONDA5. You may optionally append a descriptor to the end of the name. Example: HONDA1 - Showtunes If no playlist is selected the adapter defaults to one large playlist of all the music on the iPod.

Will the NSX stereo display Artist and song information?

No. The iPod replaces the CD changer, and the USA-Spec adapter causes the iPod to behave like a CD changer. CDs one through five become playlists one through five. So if you are listening to the 79th song of the third playlist, the CD changer displays CD 3 track 79. The NSX stereo only reads songs up to 99 then rolls over, so the 254th song of the fourth playlist would display as CD 4 track 54. The sixth CD spot is reserved for the second input on the adapter. It can be used to listen to satellite radio, or connect a cell phone, to name two examples. You can stream Slacker or Pandora on your iPhone and play it through the second input. You can even use the second input to get voice GPS directions from your cell phone. You can connect just about anything to the second input.

How does it sound?

It will sound as good as your NSX stereo sounds when playing the radio or a CD. Having your music boosted by the oem NSX stereo system does add some kick to the sound output of the iPod.

Is it hard to use the iPod through the NSX stereo? It sounds complicated...

All functions are easily accessed by pressing a few buttons on the NSX stereo.

How will all this look once I have it installed in my car?

In most cases, your interior will look exactly like it does now - most installations are completely invisible. Minimal to no drilling is required, depending on which installation you choose.

I have a hard time with committment. Is the installation reversible?

This installation is completely reversible with no visible evidence that it was ever there.

What should I do with my CD changer?

Sell it on Ebay and donate the proceeds to NSXPrime.

*Thanks to Briank of this website for console removal instructions. I recommend Briank for climate control or speaker repair, he has done both on my NSX. Note that although the instructions say climate control removal, the path is exactly the same to get to the head unit, with one additional step. Remove the four screws holding down the NSX stereo and lift it out to access the cables on the back.

Last edited:
Re: iPod adapter FAQ

Great write up but I just wanted to add a few comments from my own install and experience.

Is this thing hard to install?

It really isn't - any kid with a screwdriver and a dream can install it as long as he follows the instructions. It requires removal of the center console* to access the rear of the oem stereo, which is where you plug in the 8-pin cable.
Where do I put the iPod?

I didn't need to remove my center console for this install. I accessed the 8 pin from the line coming from the CD changer in the firewall just behind the driver.

You have essentially four choices:

1. Glovebox - this is my preferred location because I like that it hides the iPod, I can lock it, it is climate-controlled, and I don't use the iPod to control the iPod, so I don't need to hold the iPod while driving. And remember, the adapter charges the iPod, so you don't have to plug and unplug it all the time. You can leave the iPod in the glovebox for weeks or months...
2. Center Console - Some prefer this location because they want to be able to hold and control the iPod. It still hides the iPod, although it is not lockable. It is also climate-controlled, and it still charges of course. You will have to drill a small hole in a hidden spot in the center console to route the cable. As this hole is drilled in a hidden spot, it isn't a big deal.
3. Dash Mount - Some people prefer this location so they can handle and view the iPod while driving. The iPod isn't hidden, but it is in a climate-controlled spot and of course still charges.
4. Trunk Mount - A few people prefer this location because you can install the USA-Spec Adapter in about ten minutes. Unplug the CD Changer in the trunk, plug in the adapter (it doesn't require a separate power source), plug in the iPod, and you are ready to listen to music. It still charges in the trunk. At some future point if you want to add a second device (satellite radio?) you would need to route one cable from the satellite receiver to the trunk - not that difficult. This easy installation is definitely worth considering.

I put mine in the coin tray

Is there anything I have to do to set up the iPod for use in the NSX?

You have to set up five playlists on the iPod, using iTunes on your computer. The playlists must be named Honda1, Honda2, Honda3, Honda4, and Honda5. You may optionally append a descriptor to the end of the name. Example: Honda1 - Rock If no playlist is selected the adapter defaults to one large playlist of all the music on the iPod.

I did not have to do this. I can play any of my playlists directly from my IPOD. I thought this was only necessary with the GROM unit.

You bring up some good points. For the condensed version, I was trying to keep the writeup compact and easy to read. I would sort of classify a coin tray installation as a center console installation. There is nothing whatsoever wrong with the coin try installation - it is very clever.

You can always access your playlists directly from your iPod, regardless of adapter. The playlists are required with the USA-Spec PA11-HON to get the most out of controlling the iPod with the NSX stereo.

An example of the desirable latest version USA-Spec PA11-HON. Notice the cable on the right? This is the combination cable that I refer to. This cable is sporting the black 8-pin round connector as well as the blue 14-pin square (wrong) connector on one end, but this cable will work fine. Just plug the black round 8-pin connector into the back of the NSX stereo and plug the other end (cut off in the picture), which is also a black 8-pin round connector, into the USA-Spec adapter. Leave the blue connector hanging. (The cable on the left side of the picture is the iPod cable; it has a 10-pin round connector to plug into the adapter, and the black square end plugs into the iPod dock connector.)

Another example of the desirable latest version of the USA-Spec PA11-HON with the lovely and talented combination cable.

An example of what looks like an older version of the USA-Spec PA11-HON being sold by a discounter. See the cable on the right? It looks like the wrong cable that usually comes with these. It has the black round 8-pin connector on one end, but appears to only have the blue square 14-pin (wrong) connector on the other end. This cable won't work with the NSX. The price discount probably reflects the fact that this is an older version adapter. Again, when ordering, be sure to ensure that you get either the combination cable or the correct black round 8-pin connector cable (not pictured).
But if you end up with an older version, don't panic. The adapter should still work just fine but you will need to obtain one or possibly two cables to get it working correctly.

Last edited:
I thought I would answer this question in a public forum for the benefit of anyone who might be interested...

...I have a couple questions:

1. What would be your recommended connection for connecting an iRiver Clix Rhapsody (I use Rhapsody instead of iTunes) to my '02 NSX?

2. What would it possible to have more than 5 playlists using the OEM head unit? What it take to be able to use more than 5 playlists?

Would appreciate your advice greatly. Trying to keep as much stuff stock as I can, but also not afraid to take out the OEM head unit if it's going to hinder having more than 5 playlists.

There are a few adapters to choose from. To connect the iRiver, and assuming you are not interested in having a second device (satellite radio?) hooked up, I would recommend using the Grom Auxiliary Adapter (Note that the 14-pin cable pictured, the cable with the blue connector, is the wrong cable for the NSX. Specify the 8-pin cable when you order). Install it using method 1 of post#5 as described here. Note that the second picture under method 2 shows the correct 8-pin cable [the black cable] that you need) underneath the horizontal panel that runs across beneath the rear window, inside the car. This is a pretty easy install that you could knock out in about an hour. You will have to give up your CD changer but you won't miss it...the iRiver will more than make up for it being gone.

The iRiver Clix Rhapsody is pretty small at 3.16 x 1.84 x 0.51 inches, Weight: 1.9 oz. - it probably will fit in the coin tray as pictured in method 1 above. Or with a little selective drilling of holes in hidden spots of the center console (armrest portion), you could stash the iRiver in one of the console pockets.

No adapter will charge the iRiver or offer head unit control for it. In fact, no mp3 player other than the iPod offers any playlist access whatsoever through the head unit - only the correct adapter paired with an Apple iPod offers head unit control. And it is not possible to attain more than five playlists through the oem NSX stereo regardless of which mp3 player you are using. Don't despair, however. With the installation outlined above, you would control the iRiver from itself, so you can have as many playlists as you want and the iRiver will be right at your fingertips. This would be a cool installation, sound great, and the entire project would cost about $60. Replacing the NSX stereo, by contrast, will probably end up costing at least $1500 minimum, more realistic figure about $2000 by the time you are done to do it the right way.

Sell the NSX CD changer and donate the proceeds to NSXPrime.

Last edited:
I purchased a new Grom unit and all the functions work correctly except there is hardly any volume. The cars is a 1991 and had no CD changer so I can't compare it to that volume. The volume of the radio and cassette player is fine.
Any thoughts?

hi Jett --

Great review. I too, after trying four different adaptor models, prefer the USA Spec adaptor. We sell the latest version, which has newer firmware and a cable design that is compatible with both the older and newer iPods and all versions of the iPhone:

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/interior_performance_products/S2000/USASpec/

We have these in stock. An instruction sheet with photos is included. Anyone can easily install this within a half hour.

Cheers,
-- Chris

Excellent post bud. This is the next enhancement for the NSXOTIC so the information is timely and appreciated. I have the specialty stereo shop lined up but wasn't sure which adaptor to use, until now. THANK YOU!

Chris

Not sure if it affects the NSX version, but my USA-SPEC ipod adapter for my G35 produced a slight hissing sound when the stereo volume was turned up. I called the company to find out what the deal was. Apparently with the ipod classics, you need to set the backlight to remain on permanently. For some reason, as soon as the backlight turns off on the ipod, the stereo has an obvious hissing sound, but setting the ipod to have constant backlight made the problem go away.

Since it's always charging, I saw no reason to not have the backlight on, so i keep it that way.

Just FYI if you're experiencing similar hissing problems on yours.

I purchased a new Grom unit and all the functions work correctly except there is hardly any volume. The cars is a 1991 and had no CD changer so I can't compare it to that volume. The volume of the radio and cassette player is fine.
Any thoughts?

I had the same issue and there is a previous thread that explains how to resolve the issue. You need to the pull the radio/lock fuse or disconnect the battery for 15 seconds and then push the scan button on the radio. Your Grom and iPod should work without flaw.

Just received my USA Spec. I suppose it is the latest version. It comes with a separate "Design Change Notice" stating that "in order to improve the handling of Audiobook and to streaming music downloads on iPhone or iTouch, the HYBRID MODE is DELETED."
Did I get the wrong stuff?
Steve

Did it come with the combination cable? ie, the cable with a black 8-pin connector and a blue 14-pin connector on one end and a black 8-pin connector on the other end? If you have the combination cable, it is probably the latest version. It should work fine in your car.

Very useful tip: You can easily test the function of your USA-Spec adapter by temporarily installing it in the trunk. Unplug the CD player and plug in the adapter using the 8-pin connector. Connect the iPod and make sure your external switches are set correctly (see user's manual). You should be able to do the test-installation in about 15 minutes - easy easy.

By the way, I received the motorcycle HID kit yesterday. Thanks! Donation pending to NSXPrime for the favor.

Last edited:
Did it come with the combination cable? ie, the cable with both the 8-pin and 14-pin connector on one end and the iPod connector on the other end? If you have the combination cable, it is probably the latest version. It should work fine, just be sure to set the DIP switches correctly to match your mode. Select direct mode if you install the iPod so you can control it from itself; select playlist mode if you want to hide the iPod in the glovebox and forget about it.

By the way, I received the motorcycle HID kit yesterday. Thanks! Donation pending to NSXPrime for the favor.

So your USA Spec has NO hybrid mode too? Yes, mine is supposed to be compatible with iPhone 3G. I thought the Hybrid mode is a good thing. No?
Steve

Apple keeps changing and improving these devices, creating a moving target for the adapter manufacturers. This also keeps me studying the manuals as I field a lot of questions on this topic and have to study to keep up with the pace of change. The USA-Spec adapters are improving along with Apple though. I had to look up the mode question, as the newest USA-Spec adapter has been redesigned. You will be fine - the new adapters allow you to select your mode right from your oem NSX stereo.

I have the older version of the USA-Spec PA11-HON, which works fine with my older iPod mini, and also will work with my first generation iPod Touch. My adapter won't work with the latest generation iPods and iPhones however. If (when?) I upgrade my Apple hardware I think I will be able to update my system by simply adding the new iPod cable, which has charging pins for both the older and newer apple devices.

Last edited:
Experimental Installation under consideration!

What about the Samsung P2 or P3? What adapter and installation location would you recommend for these?

For the Samsung P2 or P3, you can use exactly the same installation as outlined above in post #6 for the iRiver Rhapsody. Wherever you see iRiver, just substitute Samsung P2 or P3, but...I want better than that for you.

I have not personally tried this, but...the Samsung P2/P3 has bluetooth. If you could get a bluetooth module that would connect to your chosen adapter, you could connect the bluetooth module to your adapter and link the SamsungP2/P3 without any cable at all! using bluetooth. This would be a total stealth 21st century installation. You could play music from your Samsung P2/P3 through your oem stereo, while the Samsung P2/P3 sits without headphones in your shirt pocket. For this type of installation, I might consider the Neo Pro-Link adapter.

Installation would be pretty much the same as installation for the USA-Spec adapters. Remove the center console, plug the adapter in back of the NSX stereo using the 8-pin cable, then connect the bluetooth module. If required, access power from the underdash fusebox. Link the Samsung P2/P3 via bluetooth and you would be set.

Again, I have never seen or tried this type of installation. But I can't see any reason that it wouldn't work wirelessly if a bluetooth module can be identified that will provide output to the adapter. I will be "hitting the books" to see if I can identify a suitable bluetooth module for this application. I will be back to edit this post.

Last edited:
Plugged in the unit and it does have the hybrid mode already. Very convenient. It does not sound any better than the CD changer and there is really no reason to expect better sound anyway. I will be installing the unit inside the car behind the driver seat.
Steve

That should work out fine. It will sound as good as your existing stereo, but not better. The sound is better than listening through iPhone earbuds though; the floor amp adds a little kick to the sound.

Hey Jett-

Thanks for the post - just what I was looking for to get my iPhone 3G to play tunes in my NSX. One follow-up question:

Does the USA-Spec adaptor hookup you describe allow for Pandora to be used?

I'm planning on installing it and having the iPhone in the center console - so I can launch the Pandora app on the iPhone and control through the iPhone. (don't need head unit control, just for it to play)

I searched the threads and only thing I found was that this does NOT work with the GROM adaptor...

My problem is I spend $30k buying an NSX instead of filling my iPod with music...

Thanks,
Joe

Does the USA-Spec adaptor hookup you describe allow for Pandora to be used?

I'm planning on installing it and having the iPhone in the center console - so I can launch the Pandora app on the iPhone and control through the iPhone. (don't need head unit control, just for it to play)

I searched the threads and only thing I found was that this does NOT work with the GROM adaptor...

According to Chris at Science of Speed, the latest version of the USA-Spec PA11-HON will play Pandora through the iPod cable.

Last edited:
The USA-Spec PA11-HON2 is not correct for the NSX. The USA-Spec PA11-HON is correct for all NSXs, 1991-2005, regardless of year. All oem NSX stereos are the same. If you have a 1991 or 2003-2005 NSX, you still need the USA-Spec PA11-HON.

The latest generation of the USA-Spec PA11-HON is preferred, as the latest generation is compatible with more iPods and also has the "combination" cable. The combination cable has both the round black 8-pin [plugs into back of NSX stereo] and square blue 14-pin [not used in NSX, just leave it hanging] connectors on one end, and an round black 8-pin connector [plugs into USA-Spec adapter] on the other end. The combination cable will work fine. If you don't get the combination cable, you can also use the older style 8-pin cable, which has two black round 8-pin connectors, one on each end [one end plugs into the back of NSX stereo and the other end plugs into the USA-Spec adapter]. The older style cable will also work just fine. But if the cable has a round black 8-pin connector on one end and 14-pin blue connector on the other end, and has no other connector, it is the wrong cable for the NSX. So make sure you are getting either the combination cable or the 8-pin to 8-pin cable.

Back