• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Which oil type for CTSC whipple version

:encouragement:
I really wonder of which CTSC the maintenance sheet with oil advice of 20W-50 is then...:confused:
Document 11.7.05
SUPERCHARGER MAINTENANCE
To insure that your Comptech Supercharged NSX keeps performing at optimum levels for as long as you own it, there are a number of simple maintenance items that need to be addressed at intermittent intervals. It is also very important to keep up on these maintenance items so as not to potentially void your Comptech warranty.
• SUPERCHARGER OIL LEVEL: The supercharger has a self-contained oiling system, and the oil level needs to be checked typically at every fuel fill-up, just as you would the engine oil. This is accomplished via a large silver screw or black knob on the top of the supercharger case. You should maintain approximately 1” of coverage on the dip stick with high quality fully synthetic 20-50w motor oil. There is no specific mileage recommendation for changing the supercharger oil except that it should be changed when it starts to appear dirty. Since there is no drain for the supercharger, the oil needs to be pumped out of the fill hole. A small electric pump or a modified
“turkey baster” can be used to accomplish this. When refilling the supercharger with oil (3.5oz-4oz), be careful not to overfill.
NOTE: Some superchargers have a vent hole on the snout that will allow a small amount of oil to accumulate in that area. This is nothing to be alarmed about, unless it seems excessive (oil overfill), and can be easily wiped off.

Based on the 20W50 mentioned in this maintenance manual (again, I do not know if this is a manual for the whipple or the autorotor version!!) but also on the advice of NSXOTIC911 and ONSOKU I put in:
2wolu3a.jpg

15W-50 Mobil1
The SC rumble is a lot quiter now :rolleyes:

I checked this post to see if anyone mentioned General Motors. Not a peep. So here is your solution. GM makes oil specifically for superchargers. You can buy it at a Chevy or Buick Dealer. It comes in a small pint container-about $10. Enough to completely fill the unit. I have tried various oils in the past and the supercharger with the GM product runs with the least amount of noise. It really works great. GM is one of those companies that does their research. You can use a flexible tube and suck out as much of the old oil as possible then put this stuff in. You will not be disappointed. My 2 Cents.
Manny

Last edited:
Manny, do you have a p/n that we can go in and ask for?

Yes, it is a GM product labeled GM Vehicle Care Supercharger Oil, part number #12345982, Gr.8.800. My mistake it is only a 4 fluid ounce bottle. However, it was enough for my Comptech Wipple Supercharger. I do recall about $9 or $10 though. It says that it is formulated to keep the supercharger bearings operating properly. It contains Fatty acids, C5-10, esters with dipentaerythritol-phosphoric acid, (1,1-dimethylethy) phenyl diphenyl ester. Just in case there are some fellow chemists out there who needed to know.
Manny

Thanks for the info. I'll likely stick to what I've using; 167k miles on the Whipple, no issues yet!

Living in a free country allows you to make choices. So I understand if you want to stay with what you have used. Just be aware that motor oil is developed obviously for lubricating bearings, keeping rings free of grime. So it has detergents, additives to keep dirt in suspension, stuff to resist gasoline breaking it down, etcetera. Nothing wrong here. In a supercharger you see somewhat of a different environment. Heat is an issue but probably not like inside an ICE. So the focus is keep the bearings working and seals intact. I suspect that if it were that easy that GM would have just taken their ICE engine oil and used it for the supercharger. However they tend to test things far better than some of the other boys out there. I believe that for a supercharger you cannot beat their oil. It is not a mix of viscosities to cover all sorts of conditions but tailored to a tight bandwidth of need. The fact that you have 167k on your supercharger suggests that it is hanging in there very well. So I can understand your reluctance to change. In the scientific world we call this Anecdotal information.
Manny

Point taken. I understand that the GM 12345982 is actually Nye Synthetic 605, which is the standard for SC applications. But when look at the kinematic viscosity data no real-world difference in lubrication properties between the supercharger oil and standard engine motor oil. The notable difference is the expansion coefficient for the supercharger oil and it is greatly reduced as compared to engine oil. This is to prevent seal "blow out" because the supercharger is a sealed system - unlike the ICE. Sorry but I cannot find data on the coefficient of thermal expansion for any standard motor oil. The reason why I've been running my current solution was to keep the lobe noise down. But @ $7.00 a bottle, I just may try it, and keep an eye on the snout during the next interval. </SPAN>

I tried a number of different oils and viscosity in an effort to reduce the noise. When I put in a high viscosity oil it seemed to slow the car a bit. I even tried some racing oil 0-5 weight but that made it really loud. Once I got my hands on the GM stuff I was really surprised. The viscosity seems low but yet the noise seemed to dissipate the longer I ran it. Here are the specs I could find on Mobile one 15-50:
SAE Grade 15W-50
Viscosity, cSt (ASTM D445)

@ 100ºC
@ 40ºC
Viscosity Index 160
Sulfated Ash, wt% (ASTM D874) 1.21
HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC (ASTM D4683) 4.5
Pour Point, ºC (ASTM D97) -39
Flash Point, ºC (ASTM D92) 232
Density @15.6º C g/ml ASTM D4052) 0.87

If you look at their web site they give the following information:
How Mobil 1 Synthetic Keeps Your Engine Running Like New

DETERGENT
•Helps maintain cleanliness of lubricated parts
•Keeps surfaces free of deposits
•Controls corrosive wear and deposits

DISPERSANT
•Helps minimize sludge formation by keeping contaminant particles in suspension
•Helps reduce the formation of varnish deposits
•Helps keep deposits suspended in oil

ANTI-WEAR AGENTS
•Minimizes metal wear
•Provides a chemical barrier on metallic surfaces

FRICTION MODIFIER
•Reduces friction by forming a slippery surface film
•Helps to improve fuel economy

RUST INHIBITOR
•Protects iron and steel
•Forms a protective film on metal surfaces
•Forms a water-repelling barrier

ANTI-OXIDANT
•Controls oil breakdown due to high temperatures
•Protects against oil thickening to maintain flow

This seems to address metal to metal contact which is what you would expect in an ICE. Our supercharger application is a bit different. I use to notice oil spray on the inside of the engine glass when ever I would get on the car at WOT. I do not use a engine cover. When I changed out the oil to the GM product that diminished significantly. So there may be something to the expansion issue as it affects the seals. I could not find any specs on expansion. You can download their material safety data sheet but it lists very little info of value for this discussion. I found the following though I don't know how accurate it is: Motor Oil: 0.0004 / degree F, so for a 120 degree F delta-T you get a 4.8% change in volume.

Good information not easily found on Facebook; thanks!

I tried a number of different oils and viscosity in an effort to reduce the noise. When I put in a high viscosity oil it seemed to slow the car a bit. I even tried some racing oil 0-5 weight but that made it really loud. Once I got my hands on the GM stuff I was really surprised. The viscosity seems low but yet the noise seemed to dissipate the longer I ran it. Here are the specs I could find on Mobile one 15-50:
SAE Grade 15W-50
Viscosity, cSt (ASTM D445)

@ 100ºC
@ 40ºC
Viscosity Index 160
Sulfated Ash, wt% (ASTM D874) 1.21
HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC (ASTM D4683) 4.5
Pour Point, ºC (ASTM D97) -39
Flash Point, ºC (ASTM D92) 232
Density @15.6º C g/ml ASTM D4052) 0.87

If you look at their web site they give the following information:
How Mobil 1 Synthetic Keeps Your Engine Running Like New

DETERGENT
•Helps maintain cleanliness of lubricated parts
•Keeps surfaces free of deposits
•Controls corrosive wear and deposits

DISPERSANT
•Helps minimize sludge formation by keeping contaminant particles in suspension
•Helps reduce the formation of varnish deposits
•Helps keep deposits suspended in oil

ANTI-WEAR AGENTS
•Minimizes metal wear
•Provides a chemical barrier on metallic surfaces

FRICTION MODIFIER
•Reduces friction by forming a slippery surface film
•Helps to improve fuel economy

RUST INHIBITOR
•Protects iron and steel
•Forms a protective film on metal surfaces
•Forms a water-repelling barrier

ANTI-OXIDANT
•Controls oil breakdown due to high temperatures
•Protects against oil thickening to maintain flow

This seems to address metal to metal contact which is what you would expect in an ICE. Our supercharger application is a bit different. I use to notice oil spray on the inside of the engine glass when ever I would get on the car at WOT. I do not use a engine cover. When I changed out the oil to the GM product that diminished significantly. So there may be something to the expansion issue as it affects the seals. I could not find any specs on expansion. You can download their material safety data sheet but it lists very little info of value for this discussion. I found the following though I don't know how accurate it is: Motor Oil: 0.0004 / degree F, so for a 120 degree F delta-T you get a 4.8% change in volume.

I run the GM supercharger oil in my new style lysholm blower and it barely even whines. Great stuff.

Weird. I'm pretty sure it was Shad who told me absolutely not to run that oil in my older Lysholm blower.
I never asked him. But he did say I never needed to change the oil. But I did anyhow. I swapped to the GM oil at about 1,000 miles on the new charger. Just listen to some of my YouTube vids, no whine... Sounds like an NA motor.

Back when Shad did my CTSC many years ago he put Royal Purple in it
I heard that is a great way of being able to see the level on the dipstick, rather than the paper towel method...
Which blower do you run Roger? Whipple, Autorotor, or Lysholm?

I've been running with the GM oil and no issues and very quiet.

Any of you guys running royal P who switched from other oils notice any difference in blower whine?

Whippe installed 2006 with 39000 miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back in my RX7 days the Royal Purple was purported to wear out metal prematurely.... I'm not sure if anything has changed since..... I trust only 4 brands of synthetic oils:

Pennzoil Ultra Plantinum (made from natural gas) - used by ferrari of north america. Haven't been hearing of ferrari engine failure in their late model cars for a long time.

Amsoil (regarded has the inventor of synthetic oil for the masses by many"

Torco - Used by the US military in their drones

Neo oil - bespoked for F1 teams

Back