• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

When are you Buttnuts going to come to the track?

I have been at Putnam Park all weekend with KYPCA. Once again, I am the only NSX! When are you Buttnuts going to join me at the track?????

It's butt ass hot, but I managed to squeeze in a 1:19.8 lap this morning. The car is really hooking up well and I managed to run down a 996 GT3 with a good driver (but not as good as he thinks). Apparently Dr Mario's left had is broken as he refused to point me by as he is completely full of himself and can't fathom that a N/A NSX is faster then his all mighty Porsche. I finally just outbraked him going into turn 1 and went right by. He pissed and moaned afterwards, but I just told him that "if you can't drive that thing any faster then you need to get out of my way or next time, I will just punt you off the track."

For the first time, I am having some heat problems. After about 20 laps in the 90 degree temps the water gauge moves from one tick below 1/2 to the middle one. So I back off for two laps and turn the heater on and then it goes back to the normal spot and I can run a few more laps hard before it starts back up again. I think it's time for an external oil cooler and then maybe a Driving Ambition dual pass radiator. The oil cooler is cheaper, so I think that is going to come first.

There is also a new Vette ZR1 here and it is freaking awesome. It looks so effortless smoking around the track. Also, a GT-R. He is running in the intermediate group, so maybe tomorrow I will do a session with that group and run it down just like the Best Motoring videos. :tongue:

As usual, HD videos posted soon. Oh, finally fixed my camera mount and no more shaking.

Last edited:
I'm not worthy of the track, but do you know my buddy Aaron Leichty? He drives the silver S2K that set the new track record (1:17). well, before they revoked it b/c ppl were raising a hissy fit saying he lied about it being a stock F20c, which it is stock internals... Anywho, here's this car

4292_705691291960_12902191_40010124_8236893_n.jpg

LMB_7015.jpg

DSC_0361.jpg

540507558_aD6qL-L.jpg

542978463_iMumM-L.jpg

sorry for the thread-jack :tongue:

Last edited:
I was there that day with NASA. It's not really a track record - that is held by Danny Popp - 1:10.0 in his C5 Z06. It was a record for his class, the big stink I guess is because the modifications might put him in a different class. (he told me directly that it was completely stock except the coilovers and wing). I run in the TT group or Instuctors when I run, but don't do the TT because insurance won't cover me if I am being "timed", so I really haven't looked into the class requirements and how mods effect the classing.

What mods does he have to the engine? How much power is up from a stock S2000?

If the car isn't stock, he shouldn't tell peope it is. A 400 rwhp Lovfab Turbo NSX has "stock internals". :)

No matter the mods, a 1:17.8 is still a fast time around Putnam ~ about the same as a Porsche GT3 or C6 Vette with a good driver and touching on Z06 times.

Last edited:
Copied from his CarDomain:

Modifications...

Suspension:

- AST custom shocks
- AST spherical shock mounts
- 700# Hypercoil Springs
- Saner 1.25” Adjustable front sway bar
- SPC Adjustable upper ball joints
- Forged Work Emotion wheels (17x8.5 Non-Staggered)
- 255/40/17 Nitto NT01’s

Brakes:

- Spoon Monoblock Calipers
- Carbotech brake pads

Exterior:

- Amuse R1 front bumper
- Flaired/Pulled OE fenders
- Mugen Hard Top
- Voltex Type-II wing
- 12” and 15” risers for wing

Engine:

- Asura Design baffled oil pan
- PMA baffled catch tank
- Mugen low-temp fan switch
- Mugen low-temp thermostat
- J’s Type-V intake duct
- Spoon air filter
- Turn-down exhaust

Interior:

- Recaro SPG seat
- Schroth 6pt harness
- Momo Mod78 steering wheel
- Hard Dog “Hardcore” roll bar

In-car video at Putnam Park

Morning video... cold track = wild ride!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbsThp6QzvM&feature=channel

Sunday afternoon... much faster!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma9XHjlQz2A&feature=channel_page

Last edited:
Jim, you know I am not going to drive 2.5 hours to Indy, drive all day Putnam, and then drive 2.5 hours back home while stuck behind minivan's. I would shoot myself in the head. If someone from Louisville would go up and I could toss the car in their trailer then it would be worth it. Maybe if I stay with someone in Indy I would do it. I def want to learn to drive the track with you instructing.

As soon as Bluegrass opens I am there. Not holding my breath on that one. For now I will have to live vicariously through your videos. :biggrin:

Jim, you know I am not going to drive 2.5 hours to Indy, drive all day Putnam, and then drive 2.5 hours back home while stuck behind minivan's. I would shoot myself in the head. If someone from Louisville would go up and I could toss the car in their trailer then it would be worth it. Maybe if I stay with someone in Indy I would do it. I def want to learn to drive the track with you instructing.

As soon as Bluegrass opens I am there. Not holding my breath on that one. For now I will have to live vicariously through your videos. :biggrin:

The drive isn't that bad. Didn't you guys drive up to Indy for Cars & Coffee? WTF? Drive to sit around and look at cars? Or drive up to Mid Ohio for the Honda 300 to watch OTHER PEOPLE drive around on the track?

Copied from his CarDomain:

Engine:

- Asura Design baffled oil pan
- PMA baffled catch tank
- Mugen low-temp fan switch
- Mugen low-temp thermostat
- J’s Type-V intake duct
- Spoon air filter
- Turn-down exhaust
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma9XHjlQz2A&feature=channel_page

I would say that is "stockish". I don't know what the big hissy fit is about then it's not like he is pushing 300 hp or something in the S2k.

It looks from the pictures that he is running some manly camber which makes all the difference in the world when running R Comp tires (Nitto NT01s in Aaron's case). How much.... will let you know next time when I am running -3 deg up front.

Irregardless of his setup, a high 1:17 time is smoking fast at Putnam.

haha, yea dude, he's sponsered by AST Suspension. they're custom made to order and he's spent a lot of time talking with their people figuring out exactly what he needs. it would be nice to have sponsers that produce custom suspensions that range anywhere from the $1500 - $4000 :cool:

i don't usually read "regional" posts but with a title like this one i couldn't pass it up :)

just got back from three days at cmp where i was the only nsx (although last week there were three nsx's at vir, unfortunately my car got jealous and threw a hissy fit, aka blew a coolant hose). anyway, it was in the mid to high 90s and i had temp problems as well, could only get about four good laps before the car and street tires got too hot and i had to dial it down. i ended up giving at three or four people a ride and everyone commented on how amazing the car was which is nice to hear, helps remind me not to take it for granted!

I met Aaron this week-end at Redline-Time Attack. Very nice car. Not remotely TTC. There were some real hounds after him for rule-breaking, which you can expect after breaking class records. I think he was mostly ignorant of the rules and didn't declare some things that he should have. 1:17 is nothing to be ashamed of unless you're in a cup car and the rules can be a bit daunting for some non-lawyer types. It took me several readings and clarification emails to really understand some of the them. Personally, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt this time around.

Unfortunately, he probably qualifies for TTB which is my class. It's safe to say I don't run 1:17 around Putnam so I'll need to jockey around with the also-rans.

I find turns 1 and 5 best for punting. :biggrin: They just need to put up a sign that says "Slow Porsches Park Here"

I find turns 1 and 5 best for punting. :biggrin: They just need to put up a sign that says "Slow Porsches Park Here"

If you are what you eat, then I must be a Porsche! :tongue:

The 914s are like golf carts running around the track. I ended up having to do most of my runs in the advanced group as there were quite a few "roadblocks" in the instructor group. Including a certain instructor driving a GT3 whose left arm must have been broken!

Last edited:
Jim, I see where you signed up for the OVR-PCA event at Putnam, July 17th>19th....see you there. Please don't give me hell, but I'm taking my C4S, and will run on Friday and Saturday, and probably leave early Sunday to return....it's our busy season at work!
I didn't want to take my NSX until I get the 2nd gear intermittent grinding sycro problem resolved.....Brian was nice enough to have his mechanic ride with me, and of course it didn't happen once while he was in the car...same problem with Columbia Acura's mechanic:mad:

Back