• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Smog Check in CA

Sorry been busy. Here's the info

Wendy Auto Center
1355 Lawrence Dr. #101
Newbury Park, CA 91320
(805) 449-4448

Smog tech is a great guy.

I passed everything with Prospeed Chip, Prospeed 300 cell hi-flow cats and taitec JGTC exhaust. 91 NSX

It's a dyno test at 15 mph and 25 mph. Believe the cost was 60

Last edited:
Just smogged my car here:

Young's smog check
2230 W. Venice Bl. #C
Los Angeles, CA 90006

Certified smog test only station w/ in-ground dyno so no problem w/ lowered cars. They handled my NSX very delicately.

Cost me $50 including the cert. I've gone back to him w/ my other cars and they've given me $10 off my subsequent smogs. You can tell them kuni w/ the white nsx sent you and see if you can get a discount.

anyone that brings a NSX to my shop will get $5.00 off there smog.
shop is

auto masters smog test only
4533 telephone rd
ventura ca 93003

I only work tue-friday 8 to 5.

I had to get my car smog tested a few weeks ago. I had to take it to a smog only place. I watched the guy pop the front compartment release, go to the front of the car and open the hatch. Then he closed it. Then he opened the trunk. When back there and opened the lid and closed it. Now I was in hysterics. I walked into the bay and asked him if he was looking for the engine. He told me he was and I pointed it out to him. What really strange is that I don't have an engine cover.

I've gotten mine done here about 3 times. Price seems to range from $35-50 depending on his mood. Also you have to watch him and basically hold his hand through the operation, as he didn't know the NSX was RWD. . he stopped it on with the front wheels on the rollers at first.

Otherwise it was pretty easy and painless. He does a visual, but it didn't seem all that thorough. . maybe he knows what he's looking for, maybe not. .

Also, this is a Test Only station and everytime I've gone, I've been the only person there.

Ernesto and Frank Smog 2
4114 Marine Avenue
Lawndale, CA 90260-1749

(310) 675-1419

Cars Muffler & Automotive
2617 Artesia Blvd
Redondo beach, CA (0278
310 371 7055

The owner's name is Michael and the Smog Tech's name is Rich. I have been taking my NSX there for the past 2 years...and last Saturday ...I passed the test again (with headers, prospeed chip & Hiflo cats, Fuji exhaust, DF uni-filter and SOS big bore throttle body)...

Rich pretty much work with atleast 3 NSX so he's familiar with the car. Paid $50 + tip:biggrin:. Just mention Henry with the black NSX..Good Luck!

Hey Ragecorps, I took mine to a place in Relands. Passed like a charm. If you want the name of the place, I can probably locate the receipt. Just shoot me a private message...

John

But how do people like Lowellhigh get through the check, with twin turbo 1000 whp Motec ECU and no support for OBD-* at all? Maybe because he lives in Nevada instead of CA?

When can we register our cars as collectables and be exempt from smog check? Or at least be exempt from the OBD-* style of smog check, and instead just have to pass the same measurements but without connection to ECU by the checking equipment?

But how do people like Lowellhigh get through the check, with twin turbo 1000 whp Motec ECU and no support for OBD-* at all? Maybe because he lives in Nevada instead of CA?

When can we register our cars as collectables and be exempt from smog check? Or at least be exempt from the OBD-* style of smog check, and instead just have to pass the same measurements but without connection to ECU by the checking equipment?

of all the times i went to get my car smogged they never connected anything to the ECU or OBDII anything.... :rolleyes: they dont have to connect it to anything just use the sniff test and fail you that way..."The old school way"

If your car's engine is mechanically sound, you can always use a different ECU program for testing only. That's the advantage of having a flexible ECU that you have complete control over.

The part I am unsure about is whether CARB requires an OBD-* connection even though all the instrumented tests pass, because the car was registered as one that has OBD-* from the manufacturer, but now it doesn't, so that's sufficient grounds to fail the vehicle even though all the tests pass, as measured by instruments.

If your car's engine is mechanically sound, you can always use a different ECU program for testing only. That's the advantage of having a flexible ECU that you have complete control over.

The part I am unsure about is whether CARB requires an OBD-* connection even though all the instrumented tests pass, because the car was registered as one that has OBD-* from the manufacturer, but now it doesn't, so that's sufficient grounds to fail the vehicle even though all the tests pass, as measured by instruments.

I didn't have one piece of carb certified equipment on my car and it passed and they didn't even know where the engine was... the smog techs are not going to know whats OEM and whats aftermarket... what are you so worried about?

I've gotten mine done here about 3 times. Price seems to range from $35-50 depending on his mood. Also you have to watch him and basically hold his hand through the operation, as he didn't know the NSX was RWD. . he stopped it on with the front wheels on the rollers at first.

Otherwise it was pretty easy and painless. He does a visual, but it didn't seem all that thorough. . maybe he knows what he's looking for, maybe not. .

Also, this is a Test Only station and everytime I've gone, I've been the only person there.

Ernesto and Frank Smog 2
4114 Marine Avenue
Lawndale, CA 90260-1749

(310) 675-1419

Just got back from this place again and had excellent results. Same guy, changed me $45 (cash only) this time. I drove up and was out of there in about 15 minutes. Super easy and no issues whatsoever.

BTW, my car is pretty low with a Wings West front lip and skirts and there were no clearance issues with his equipment.

I didn't have one piece of carb certified equipment on my car and it passed and they didn't even know where the engine was
The checking equipment needs to connect to your car's OBD-* computer to certify certain info. If the computer is not there, or not saying the right things, the equipment will note that down. That's the part about smog checks that is hard to fake.

The checking equipment needs to connect to your car's OBD-* computer to certify certain info. If the computer is not there, or not saying the right things, the equipment will note that down. That's the part about smog checks that is hard to fake.

No they don't have to connect to the OBD computer to complete the smog check. They never plugged into mine. They just used the sniff test and this electromagnetic ring to check the RPMs... not once did he plug in anything other than into the gas tank & cap to check pressure and to see if any fumes are coming out... I even asked if he wanted to plug it in and the tech said it wasn't required.

Just passed at the very limit. Thank goodness!!! My HC and NOX readings were very high. Tech said it might be the EGR. Fuel/CO2 was fine. Anyway, if anybody is looking for a place in West LA, I finally found one.

AA Smogs, Inc - $50
Ask for Alex, the owner. Friendly guys, and helpful. You can tell him the Asian guy with the black NSX sent you.

10885 Venice Blvd

It's just off the 405 at Venice Blvd and Midvale. I would call to make an appointment beforehand. There were 2 cars ahead of me and I waited about half an hour.

Also a big plus is that it is a direct roll-on with no slope, so for those of us who are lowered, you won't have any problems with scraping.

Going to try this place tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

I've been going to Smogies in Ventura for years. Very NSX friendy and ............. they will even let you drive the car onto the inground dyno. Lowered cars have no issues. Never asked about the CTSC and or the headers (not that you can even see them). They hook up the car and go :biggrin:

Smogies Smog Shop
3940 Market St
Ventura, CA 93003
805-644-7664

I went to Easy Smog in Huntington Beach. I believe they still have a coupon on their website. They were really friendly, and I was in & out in a flash. I had recently purchase Prospeed's 400 cell cats, and they passed with flying colors.

Not sure if anyone has heard of this but here is what I do for smog. If it is an out of state car I get it smogged the first time to register is as a California vehicle. Then I register it to an old address I still have in Blythe, CA. Blythe is an area that does not require smog every two years or any year for that matter. Have been doing this for years. In fact two days ago I got a notice that my NSX needed smog before I could renew registration. I went to AAA and changed the address and right then and there I got my tags. No smog certificate. Hassle free.

I smell a new business in CA. The DMW is going to wonder why all NSXs in CA are registered to the same address in Blythe, CA. :biggrin:

Yeah the DMV caught on a while back when people were registering their cars to P.O. boxes in Blythe. Now you have to have an actual address.:rolleyes:

Back