• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Smog Check in CA

not gonna do it afterall

probably a good idea man.... just man up and fix your sh** the right way and not have to worry about getting your car impounded. The cities of CA are BROKE and are looking for any reason to pull us over.... ask me how I know. :redface:

Wanted to share my experience with some of these shops today. I know jagtiger recommended them, but I had a less than impressive experience here.

Cars Muffler & Automotive
2617 Artesia Blvd
Redondo beach, CA (0278
310 371 7055

Called in the morning, mentioned they were recommended to me, and to check if they were busy and Mike indicated they were not. Told him I needed to get the cats hot and would want to roll in and test right away. He was very curt, not very friendly, and I guess the best comparison would be the smog version of the Soup Nazi.

I went all the way down there from Culver City and when I arrived, they were not testing anyone and I went in to get things going. I have to say, he has got to be the most disinterested person I've come across lately. No sense of urgency, had my car idling for about 10-15 minutes (after saying they would get it going in 3) and so finally I was so irked by the whole lack of desire to help that I told them I was leaving. Leaving to drive a half hour across town in Koreatown to try another one of our recommended shops. Suffice it to say, I will not be going back there, nor should you. That's my opinion anyway.

Fast forward to my next stop at

Young's Smog Check
2230 W Venice Blvd #C
Los Angeles, CA 90006

I called ahead and spoke with Andy who was helpful. When I arrived he was literally sitting there waiting for me. Hopped in the car immediately and got it on the rollers. He knew what the common issues were on the NSX and worked on it. Even though I ultimately did not pass, he was able to answer my questions, give me some helpful suggestions, and promised to help on my second attempt. Free retest within 30 days. I would also highly recommend that if you do come here, bring a copy of your last test to show to him so he has an idea of any problem points.

My HC and CO look fine, but the NO is coming in a bit high. Looks like I'll be spending some time cleaning out my EGR and/or possibly replacing my cats. <sigh>

Anyway, thought I'd share with you all.

I appreciate your input, Darkcyd. This is like a mini Angie's List for smog, but free and NSX oriented. :smile:

My pleasure. Anybody have ideas for alternatives to replacing the cats? I called the dealership and they want $1300 for 1st one, $1200 for second one, and $280 for install. :eek: Having to deal with this whole smog check thing every 2 years may eventually make me sell the car... Grrr...

Anyway, non OEM cats have been mentioned here. How reliable are those? And how difficult is it to replace them on your own? I have jack stands and don't mind getting underneath the car if I have to. Maybe I'll take the opportunity to go and learn how to replace my own shocks and springs also. lol

My pleasure. Anybody have ideas for alternatives to replacing the cats? I called the dealership and they want $1300 for 1st one, $1200 for second one, and $280 for install. :eek: Having to deal with this whole smog check thing every 2 years may eventually make me sell the car... Grrr...

Anyway, non OEM cats have been mentioned here. How reliable are those? And how difficult is it to replace them on your own? I have jack stands and don't mind getting underneath the car if I have to. Maybe I'll take the opportunity to go and learn how to replace my own shocks and springs also. lol

I and many others prefer Magnaflow cats. Stay away from the ones with words like "hi flow" since they tend not to clean the exhaust as well.

CATS are pretty easy to replace. The hardest part is to get the rusted nuts to let go...use a penetrating fluid prior to wrenching. Also use a 6 point socket so you dont strip the nuts along with a good breaker bar or torque wrench for leverage. I was able to work on my car without jacking it up but it was at OEM height.

order some 400 cell high flow cats..... do you have headers & exhaust?

i had some 300 cell high flow cats and they lasted about 2 years .... the 400 cell would definitely pass smog. Be sure to reset the ECU after you change them out (unplug the battery) to reset it...

I and many others prefer Magnaflow cats. Stay away from the ones with words like "hi flow" since they tend not to clean the exhaust as well.

How much are the Magnaflow going for? Where do they sell these at?

Wanted to share my experience with some of these shops today. I know jagtiger recommended them, but I had a less than impressive experience here.

Cars Muffler & Automotive
2617 Artesia Blvd
Redondo beach, CA (0278
310 371 7055

Wanted to also add my "thumbs down" vote to Car Muffler and Automotive.
Based on some positive feedback from Prime, I went to Car Muffler to have my smog check done, an added bonus being that it was only a mile from my house. Upon arrival, I told the counter person (mgr/owner?) about the positive reviews his place received on this forum. He then proceeded to tell me that scores of NSX owners travel miles because of their NSX expertise. I felt pretty confident, until I went outside to give the keys to the tech. His first question.... Is this front or rear wheel drive? After then showing him the location of the engine and interior module hookup, the test went on without drama, as it should for a stock '02 with under 10K miles. However, next time I will also travel miles...to any other location that has some semblance of knowledge about our cars.

http://lakeforestsmogcheck.com/
^I took my '05 S2000 for it's registration renewal smog test yesterday. I wanted cheap and close by. I went to the corner of Rockfield Blvd. and Lake Forest, in Lake Forest (Orange County), AA Smog Test Only, with their computer printed $20 off coupon, in hand. With the coupon and cash (only), it was $42.99. There were two young brothers running the stall. Quick in and out. I'm satisfied. Of course, it passed easily.

Primers:

Failed Smog Test..
Results were

@ 15mph: The HC was MEAS 147 vs MAX 114
@ 25mph: THe HC was MEAS 100 vs MAX 88 and the NO was MEAS 746 vs MAX 724

Any suggestions?

Car was driven about 20 miles prior to the test. Oil was also changed a week before......

Not familiar with these numbers. The place mentioned that it might be my O2 Sensor.....

Primers:

Failed Smog Test..
Results were

@ 15mph: The HC was MEAS 147 vs MAX 114
@ 25mph: THe HC was MEAS 100 vs MAX 88 and the NO was MEAS 746 vs MAX 724

Any suggestions?

Car was driven about 20 miles prior to the test. Oil was also changed a week before......

Not familiar with these numbers. The place mentioned that it might be my O2 Sensor.....

My O2 sensor are the originals with 120k miles.

I did replace the cats due to my custom exhaust from STMPO.

Try running 2 bottles of Clean Power.

Thanks Batman....

Actually with Ramon's assistance from Niguel Motors....car passed SMOG CHECK......YES!!!!

Thank you again RAMON!!

What'd you guys do? I visited Ramon briefly but haven't had a chance to get down there again with the car. Ended up picking up a set of cats so going to try and put those on this weekend and resmog. Hopefully that'll deal with the issue for the next several years. :rolleyes:

Thanks Batman....

Actually with Ramon's assistance from Niguel Motors....car passed SMOG CHECK......YES!!!!

Thank you again RAMON!!

Ugh... ran into another complication. Just found out that most larger auto service shops won't help you swap a used cat onto your car. Apparently they will only do brand new ones from the dealership with a purchase receipt. :rolleyes: Finally found one that said they'd do it, guess we'll see what happens on Monday.

I'm contemplating the thought of attempting to just swap them myself though. Anybody have some good clear instructions on DIY? Preferably with photos?

Welp... no joy. Looks like I'll be working on this one myself.

Ugh... ran into another complication. Just found out that most larger auto service shops won't help you swap a used cat onto your car. Apparently they will only do brand new ones from the dealership with a purchase receipt. :rolleyes: Finally found one that said they'd do it, guess we'll see what happens on Monday.

I'm contemplating the thought of attempting to just swap them myself though. Anybody have some good clear instructions on DIY? Preferably with photos?

What'd you guys do? I visited Ramon briefly but haven't had a chance to get down there again with the car. Ended up picking up a set of cats so going to try and put those on this weekend and resmog. Hopefully that'll deal with the issue for the next several years. :rolleyes:
If you are going to retest your car, make sure you go to the one at Dana Point. Ramon has the information. Most likely in my next test, I will need a new cat.

Just had the car smoged at AA Smog Test Only, 13891 Redhill Ave., Tustin, CA 92780, 714-669-8633. The guy's name is Brian. His English is a little difficult to understand. He first thought I meant Acura MDX. He quoted me a price of $41.24 which included the transfer fee. When I arrived he realized it was not a MDX. At first he was a bit put off by the Comptech Supercharger. He went ahead and did it just the same. He is a good person to go to if your car is not too modified. His shop is in the Shell Station on the corner of Red Hill and the 5 freeway. I had planned on taking it to the Mobil station accross the streed. I had gone there two years ago. But it's under new ownership? and they wanted $70 because he labeled it an exotic.
So for what it is worth give Brian a call and let him know when you can bring it in. He had a hard time keeping the speed at 25 mph in the second half of the test and had to repeat the whole thing. I gave him a $5 tip and he seemed happy
Manny

Easy Smog

EASY SMOG (H.B. Auto Center - 17922 Gothard, HB CA). They are right down the road from AutoWave.

Highly recommend this shop. I will never go anywhere else.

I want to thank NSXMitch for posting this up, especially knowing that he deals with NSX made me feel at ease.

I went there this weekend for my smog and also passed.
In and out and it was quick:smile:

Small caution that the entrance to the repair shop facilities is a little steep:biggrin:

Back