• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Smog Check in CA

I'm about to just give up and surrender to the dealership. :frown: Finally found time to get under the car and found out that the cats I bought don't fit because they are for the 3.2L. One of those moments where you go WTF didn't I think to specify?!?! Anyway, anybody have an idea of whether the ones sold via this website would be any good? I REALLY don't want to give the dealership 3 grand for this. :mad:

http://www.carpartswarehouse.com/addtocart/1993_Acura/NSX/Catalytic_Converter/45-00015.html

I'm about to just give up and surrender to the dealership. :frown: Finally found time to get under the car and found out that the cats I bought don't fit because they are for the 3.2L. One of those moments where you go WTF didn't I think to specify?!?! Anyway, anybody have an idea of whether the ones sold via this website would be any good? I REALLY don't want to give the dealership 3 grand for this. :mad:

http://www.carpartswarehouse.com/addtocart/1993_Acura/NSX/Catalytic_Converter/45-00015.html

Sent you a PM

I have a new Favorite Smog Station:

OC Smog Center
32861 Camino Capistrano, Unit 2
San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675
949-276-8152

They do NSX's reguarly, the technicians are great (car enthusiasts), and the prices are reasonable (around $60 OTD)

I have passed smog there with an NSX and S2000.

I have a new Favorite Smog Station:

OC Smog Center
32861 Camino Capistrano, Unit 2
San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675
949-276-8152

They do NSX's reguarly, the technicians are great (car enthusiasts), and the prices are reasonable (around $60 OTD)

I have passed smog there with an NSX and S2000.

Ramon recommended this shop to me a couple of years ago. Just kept forgetting to add it to the list. My Accord squeaked by 2 years ago and the NSX passed w/flying colors. Not so with the Accord this year. Not them, it was a bad CAT. Fixed now.

Hi Guys I just thought of adding this in...

For those of you looking for a SMOG CHECK in OC around Anaheim...

Give this place a try...

(I found this place on yelp and i was surprised with the positive reviews and decided to give it a try)

Hi-Tech Automotive
9041 Katella Ave, Unit C
Anaheim, CA 92804
TEL: (714) 821 8766
CTC: Fred Khalex

I was in and out in about 15 min and it cost me $50 for the smog check...

Fred was a very nice guy to deal with and is very careful...

http://www.yelp.com/biz/hi-tech-automotive-anaheim

The saga continues. So I finally managed to swap out my cats for a much newer set. Haven't really broken them in yet, but took it to get tested anyway. Everything is low, but I still failed on the NOX at 25 mph. I'm thinking of taking the car to the dealership and getting 1) O2 sensors replaced and 2) having the EGR valve cleaned out. Anybody know what those two items should cost?

The saga continues. So I finally managed to swap out my cats for a much newer set. Haven't really broken them in yet, but took it to get tested anyway. Everything is low, but I still failed on the NOX at 25 mph. I'm thinking of taking the car to the dealership and getting 1) O2 sensors replaced and 2) having the EGR valve cleaned out. Anybody know what those two items should cost?

Yea replace o2 sensors and spark plugs and check EGR....

http://scienceofspeed.com/products/engine_performance_products/NSX/NGK/NTK_O2_Sensors/

order these instead of the stock ones... the OEM o2 sensors are a lot more expensive! EGR should be fine but they can inspect it. good luck!

Well... finally managed to pass. What a nightmare. Did an EGR and throttle body clean out at the dealership. Haven't changed out the O2 sensors, but I think I might do that anyway. :rolleyes:

Well... finally managed to pass. What a nightmare. Did an EGR and throttle body clean out at the dealership. Haven't changed out the O2 sensors, but I think I might do that anyway. :rolleyes:
Which dealership did you go to and how much did they charge you?

Took it to Santa Monica Acura. My service advisor there is Robert Munoz. He's actually been very good in taking care of my needs. Obviously the dealership is not going to be the cheapest, but it's been reasonable in my opinion when I need to get something done and I don't have the time to go driving an hour away down to Orange County.

I had the EGR and throttle body service completed for $338. Worth it in my opinion because I spent enough time hunched over my engine attempting to find a way to get in there to get it off myself, and trips to Sears and Home Depot to find tools to do the trick. I'd rather be doing other things. :rolleyes:

Took it to Santa Monica Acura.

Interesting. I have a standing policy to avoid Santa Monica dealerships like the plague. Not happy with my service or sales experiences at Santa Monica Acura, Lexus, Honda...

I think I took my NSX twice to Cars Muffler & Automotive, but, though I had no issues with how the actual test went, service was a bit on the slow side on the second visit. My NSX is due to be smogged again, so I'm up for new suggestions in the South Bay. I had a good experience taking my Pilot to Sky Smog on Hawthorne last year...anyone have any issues with them?

I think I took my NSX twice to Cars Muffler & Automotive, but, though I had no issues with how the actual test went, service was a bit on the slow side on the second visit. My NSX is due to be smogged again, so I'm up for new suggestions in the South Bay. I had a good experience taking my Pilot to Sky Smog on Hawthorne last year...anyone have any issues with them?[/QUOTE]

hey Eric,
I look forward to hearing of your findings, as I live in Redondo Beach and am looking for a new smog place. After my last experience with Cars Mufflers & Automotive, I'll never be returning to that establishment.

Anyone have or know anyone who has a set of Catalytic Converters to sell (or loan)? Preferably low mileage if it's for sale, as I'm planning to keep them around for a while.

PM me!

Thanks!

Anyone have or know anyone who has a set of Catalytic Converters to sell (or loan)? Preferably low mileage if it's for sale, as I'm planning to keep them around for a while.

PM me!

Thanks!

What year is your car? I have a set of 95+ 3.2L converters for sale.

What year is your car? I have a set of 95+ 3.2L converters for sale.

Hey Darkcyd! My car is a 91. Sorry I should have mentioned the year, but somehow it skipped my mind! :redface:

By the way did you goi with an oem cat to replace yours? Or did you end up going with an aftermarket 'street legal' version?

Thanks!

Do you mind sharing the smog results in detail before and after the cleaning? How many miles do you have? Thx.

Smog Check in OC

Car did not pass with 4yr old Random but Ramon installed his spare OEM cats and told me to see Duke at OC Smog Center in Dana Point off PCH exit on 34112 PCH Hwy. 949-545-6573.

Duke has the roller in the ground so there is no issue if your car is slammed.
Car passed within a minute and Duke knew what he was doing. A pleasant guy to deal with to boot.

I am taking my other car to him next week.
For me, its worth the drive up from San Diego. My usual smog guy in SD for the last 4 yrs getting too busy to pay attention to detail. Another new smog guy did not want to touch the aftermarket cats.

I have been taking all of my cars to
http://www.liveoaktestonly.com/
They are located in San Gabriel, corner of Duarte Rd and Rosemead Blvd.
They do a good no nonsense job and don't screw around.
They have the only 5 star write up on Yelp that I have seen, ever.
My car did not pass last month.
The guy told me that I don't drive it enough and that the computer had errors.
You can have up to 2 errors but he told me next year you cannot have any.
So I drove it for 120+ miles (recommended 50 miles) and it passed with no errors. Actual smog numbers are very low.
They guy told me that if you disconnect the battery, the computer has to reset, although I told him I didn't have the battery disconnected at all.
I think what happened was that I had some check engine errors come up but went away on their own and after driving the car, they reset as he said it would do.
So if you have a car sitting around, make sure you drive it some before taking it into smog check!

BH

I've gotten mine done here about 3 times. Price seems to range from $35-50 depending on his mood. Also you have to watch him and basically hold his hand through the operation, as he didn't know the NSX was RWD. . he stopped it on with the front wheels on the rollers at first.

Otherwise it was pretty easy and painless. He does a visual, but it didn't seem all that thorough. . maybe he knows what he's looking for, maybe not. .

Also, this is a Test Only station and everytime I've gone, I've been the only person there.

Ernesto and Frank Smog 2
4114 Marine Avenue
Lawndale, CA 90260-1749

(310) 675-1419

Just got back from this place again and had excellent results. Same guy, changed me $45 (cash only) this time. I drove up and was out of there in about 15 minutes. Super easy and no issues whatsoever.

BTW, my car is pretty low with a Wings West front lip and skirts and there were no clearance issues with his equipment.

Just had my 2 year smog here yet again. It's the same guy and he totally remembers me (and now remembers the NSX is RWD :biggrin:). Price was $50 this time. In and out in less than 15 minutes (probably closer to 10)!!
Quick, simple easy.. A+ experience!

As already noted, an excellent thread. I have never had a car I owned fail smog until last week. Yes, this was with my 103K mile NSX which I keep in pristine condition. I've been going to HB Smog in Huntington Beach. I hate waiting and simply call Hank, the owner, and go there to avoid waiting. He's a bit of a Goober but over the years was worth paying the $50 just to get this PITA process done.

As I was sitting near my car while Hank went through the process, he kept asking me questions. How do you move back the seat? How do you open the engine hatch? Mind you, he smogged my car before. While on the dyno, he was lugging it in 2nd gear. Although I brought the car in hot, that still worried me. As it turned out, it failed. I told him to warm it up and retry. He said he did, but I questioned his resolve.

Frustrated (and pissed), I drove to Autowave, which was close by. After speaking with Shane, he sent me to EZ Smog. Shane sends all of his NSX customers to this place. As a couple of others have already experienced, Brian (nice Vietnamese fellow with wife Michelle) warmed-up the car properly and it passed. Brian said each year, passing smog for NSXs will get harder. Still, this guy understands what needs to be done. He knows to get the cats get hot enough and how to run the engine during the testing sequence. It was worth the $75 after paying the goober at HB Smog $40 for nothing.

Next time, I'll remember to look for a coupon before going back to EZ Smog. Don't mind saving a few bucks but am happy paying full price nonetheless to avoid wasting time and the aggravation. Peace!

Steve

Re: Smog Check in OC

Car did not pass with 4yr old Random but Ramon installed his spare OEM cats and told me to see Duke at OC Smog Center in Dana Point off PCH exit on 34112 PCH Hwy. 949-545-6573.

Duke has the roller in the ground so there is no issue if your car is slammed.
Car passed within a minute and Duke knew what he was doing. A pleasant guy to deal with to boot.

I am taking my other car to him next week.
For me, its worth the drive up from San Diego. My usual smog guy in SD for the last 4 yrs getting too busy to pay attention to detail. Another new smog guy did not want to touch the aftermarket cats.

+100 on all of the above.

Went there today on Ramon's recommendation and was out in 15 minutes. Duke is a great guy and really understands the NSX. I highly recommend him. He is worth the drive from anywhere in SoCal, just like Ramon and Tom. I'll be taking the wife's car there next month.

Back