• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Smog Check in CA

There is one gasket on each end. 6 bolts each and probably take less than one hour total with proper tools.

Have you looked into after market ones?

So what you're saying I think, is that I could probably swap out the cats myself. I actually tried this the last time around and got stuck on a couple bolts. I guess it might be easier since the current ones have been on for a shorter period of time and bolts probably aren't as frozen. Do you know if I would need to replace the gaskets at the same time?

I have not considered aftermarket cats only because I haven't seen one in threads that seems to both do a comparable job to OEM and also has the durability to last for more than a couple years. If you know of any that might fit the bill though, I certainly wouldn't exclude them from consideration.

yes.. there is a metal ring type of gasket for each end of the cats. Some people reuse the old ones, but they are not expensive so it is probably better to replace them to avoid exhaust leaks.

It would not be too hard to replace them if you have power tool. However, it is probably easier to pay someone an hour to do it. It is much easier to do with the car on a lift rather doing it laying on the floor.

I heard those high flow cats don't really work with passing smog. Perhaps find some low mileage OEM cats that sometimes pop up on Prime.

So what you're saying I think, is that I could probably swap out the cats myself. I actually tried this the last time around and got stuck on a couple bolts. I guess it might be easier since the current ones have been on for a shorter period of time and bolts probably aren't as frozen. Do you know if I would need to replace the gaskets at the same time?

I have not considered aftermarket cats only because I haven't seen one in threads that seems to both do a comparable job to OEM and also has the durability to last for more than a couple years. If you know of any that might fit the bill though, I certainly wouldn't exclude them from consideration.

Question: Will 91 nsx still pass smog with aftermarket headers??

NA1's acceleration is not good compared to my old NA2. I am thinking of getting aftermarket headers.

Last edited:
Had my smog done last week. The guy connected something to a wire harness under the dash, did a visual... and that was it. Nothing to the tail pipe. Is this normal???

Had my smog done last week. The guy connected something to a wire harness under the dash, did a visual... and that was it. Nothing to the tail pipe. Is this normal???

Depending on the year of the car this is normal. I was smoging an out of state 2003 mini cooper s and all they did was connect it up to their computer and I passed. They have a new system for new cars.

For all cars that are 2000 and newer they only plug into the OBDII port to check for current and pending codes and that all monitors are active. Then they do a visual. So yes that is normal.

For all cars that are 2000 and newer they only plug into the OBDII port to check for current and pending codes and that all monitors are active. Then they do a visual. So yes that is normal.

And I learned that it isn't a good idea to do a smog check right after replacing the car's battery as there won't be enough data for them to test. Fortunately, I had driven to-and-from work on the new battery before I took mine to be tested this year...the guy testing my car didn't think I would pass, but I did.

I use the 76 station at Torrance & PCH. Eric (evartanian) and his dad have a 355 and a 550 and I got both my NSX and F355 smog test fast and easy! I was there last Saturday with my NSX and it took no more than 20 mins. Highly recommended.

Major change in smog testing for 2000 or newer cars.

I just took my 2005 NSX for smog and there was no measuring of exhaust fumes, no revving on the dyno. The tech plugged into the unit under the dash and did an inspection. That was it. Passed and done. I think if the unit had said I had the "check engine" light tripped, the car wouldn't pass.

It's time for a smog on the NSX again. This time I have to take it to a STAR station. I'll have to see if the place I've been going is a STAR station.

Had mine last week...

1992 with 138000 miles passed with flying colors.:cool:

i didn't. previous owner told me that it should have no problem to pass. i took his words but it gave a headache now. only put 3000 miles in 2 years.

91's limit is ridiculous. it's just too difficult to pass legally.

i know it scares the crap out of me every 2 years when it's time, and it seems they keep on raising the limit.
Take aart that iat sensor super easy and clean it well, most important to is get your cats super hot, go for long ass drive and open up that throttle. Good luck man

i recently changed my battery and my smog check is coming up, so i was wondering is there certain amount of mileage i should be putting on the car before a smog check?

i recently changed my battery and my smog check is coming up, so i was wondering is there certain amount of mileage i should be putting on the car before a smog check?

Just go for a nice long drive get cats really hot, I would say a good hour and give it a good rev. Vtec it at time. Better to make appt. with smog and just drive in don't turn off car if possible. Good luck bud

this is my go to smog guy. have done 4 old(er) cars here: volvo 245 Turbo, e30 325 vert, e46 M3, 993 c4s. owner is efficient and this place is never busy

i just brought my NSX a few weeks ago and it had to go on the dyno...after the first couple of test, he told me it wasn't looking good and offered to end the test so in case I failed the DMV wouldn't be notified. sux to fail but he was kind enough to not keep me off the gross-polluter list

https://www.yelp.com/biz/master-city-smog-test-only-center-temple-city

Back