• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

what do you think of this supreme court decision?

(politics aside, please)

i'm curious, what do other primers think of this decision?

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-court-strip-search26-2009jun26,0,5149828.story

as a parent, in similar circumstances, i would have been on the school administration like, too. (we had a couple of situations in one school with each of our boys and we pursued those to a fair / satisfactory resolution.)

i'm curious - if this was your child, how would you have felt / handled this situation?

I would have been furious and would have filed suit also. I would also look into any other legal avenues until the Vice Principal was either fired or reprimanded including a public apology in the local newspaper.

Since when is Ibuprophin a dangerous drug...:rolleyes:

who cares of the court descision. What moron strip searches or even searches a 13 year old kid at school. I mean you have to be a real loser and dumb at the same time. "We didn't know if the law was clear on that"...give me a break. I wouldn't sue I'd go in with a bat and see some heads roll because I'm not to clear on the law on that one.

I would have been furious and would have filed suit also. I would also look into any other legal avenues until the Vice Principal was either fired or reprimanded including a public apology in the local newspaper.

+ 1 I don't have children, but the thought of this makes me furious.:mad:

People make bad decisions all of the time. This time the school made a whopper. The Court has done the right thing and now reset the bar for all to observe and adhere to. I would hope that a civil suit against the school district would also serve to remind the District of the correct way to treat students.

We have seen such an erosion of the 4th Amendment in recent years it is nice to see it upheld every once in a while.

First, the school had the girl nailed. Another kid said she was giving the pills out. I'm sure the school has a "zero tolerance" on all pills. They should have called the parents, had the witness repeat the story if needed, and then deal with the parents. If they determined she was guilty, then expell her for 3 days. If she was passing out crack, then call the police. Dumb school...and they're trying to teach kids?

I wouldn't consider her "nailed" just because another kid sad something. Some kids will say anything to get other kids in trouble...especially if its someone they don't like. You can't take another kids word for it. Now if it was a teacher saying this, then thats another story.

Unfortunately it seems like the parents are the last to be notified from the school district. Once my kids' high school was on lockdown due to some police activity there and we were told nothing by the school. Luckily our kids have cell phones and they let us know what was going on.

People make bad decisions all of the time. This time the school made a whopper. The Court has done the right thing and now reset the bar for all to observe and adhere to. I would hope that a civil suit against the school district would also serve to remind the District of the correct way to treat students.

We have seen such an erosion of the 4th Amendment in recent years it is nice to see it upheld every once in a while.
agreed.

Back