• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Gil's wheels

Today is lots of blocking and panel off and on. Should have a complete one color very soon. Here is the Zebra now.

330.jpg

005-1.jpg

Isn't this gap a little tight? It should be a little less than a quarter inch... that looks like a 16th of an inch... no offense! nice work though! :eek:

005-1.jpg

Isn't this gap a little tight? It should be a little less than a quarter inch... that looks like a 16th of an inch... no offense! nice work though! :eek:

You are right. That still needs finishing, I will end up gauging all the gaps to be OEM like.
I'd rather have more play to get the gapping correct than having to add some sort of filler and later breaking off or cracking.
=g=

Great job Gil! How many times were you told that this was "impossible to do" till you decided to do it for yourself? I am happy to see that you are continuing along despite your experience.

Josh (Juice) I am so glad I am working on it myself.

Calvin (Pooh) I have it in the for sale forums. Everything is always for sale =) I would just like to see it finished, it is tough trying to sell an incomplete car so I will have it all done and repost later. Lost a couple buyers but that's ok.

=g=

Calvin (Pooh) I have it in the for sale forums. Everything is always for sale =) I would just like to see it finished, it is tough trying to sell an incomplete car so I will have it all done and repost later. Lost a couple buyers but that's ok.

=g=

by the time you're done with you're done with it, I will hopefully be back in the market for one :biggrin:

I would love to take if off your hand and finish it....this would be a blast. Exactly what I wanted to do. However, I am just not in the position to purchase at this time. After my divorced, I seem to start over again in life. Heck, if I were to be close, I would love to join in with the sanding and help you finish...........just for the fun of it.

=g=

Last edited:
Update:

After lots of blocking and letting the panels sit for a couple days I finally got the first primer coats on the car. I used Chromabase 2k high build primer in Black (medium/low gloss) Seeing how black shows the most imperfections I used this to spot waves I missed or areas that needed attention after all the blocking already done previously.

Body paneling was quickly mocked up for more blocking and to move up in grit for sanding to remove the more corse sanding stage.

007-1.jpg

010-2.jpg

014-1.jpg

013-1.jpg

016-1.jpg

Tomorrow will be another long day of sanding, priming, panel off and on and minor details before I add a full under tray for the front bumper to get rid of the area you can see the ground. Looks hideous seeing this.

Within the next week after final blocking and priming stage I will prep the panels for mold making to finally having a complete carbon fiber made widebody from what you see currently. Getting all the panels correct is the goal. I will then prep those carbon panels for paint after final fitments of the panels aswell. Lots to do. Portions inbetween I will work on motor details, undercarriage and soda blasting the aluminum suspension pcs. Hopefull all goes well.

Keep posted.

=g=:smile:

Last edited:
WOW! I did nt realize yoiu were going to making a mold for a carbon widebody. Thats awesome! You do amazing work. Cant wait to see this when its done.

WOW! I did nt realize yoiu were going to making a mold for a carbon widebody. Thats awesome! You do amazing work. Cant wait to see this when its done.

+1 I'm a bit confused as I would think that the mold would just add imperfections back into the whole process. But what the hell do I know - this whole process is mind bending!

Man Gil, its looking good. You will be back on the road before you know it. See, arent you glad you didnt sell it? I cant wait to see it all assembled with the new wheels mounted, its going to be wild.

Man Gil, its looking good. You will be back on the road before you know it. See, arent you glad you didnt sell it? I cant wait to see it all assembled with the new wheels mounted, its going to be wild.

Josh (Juice)
During the mold (moulding) process begins it won't ruin the current body paneling. With the help of mould release wax and PVA for assurance it'll be a fun process.

Brandon (Bpiddy)
The car will get a lot of road time when done, therapy goal from the man cave. I can't wait for the new wheels =) Concave goodness. I'll buzz you later on.

Eye candy

Do you have any pics of your ride process yet?

=g=

Heads up on the soda blasting. once you get it all done use something called ProtectaClear to clear it. I did alot of research and it worked really well on my suspension. not to glossy and works against road salts and oils

Heads up on the soda blasting. once you get it all done use something called ProtectaClear to clear it. I did alot of research and it worked really well on my suspension. not to glossy and works against road salts and oils

Thanks for the heads up.

Eye candy

Do you have any pics of your ride process yet?

=g=

Ive got a ton of pics... one of these days I'll get them in some kind of order and post them. I've almost burned myself out working on it and trying to get everything perfect. Mine was so far off from the start. At least now I kind of see the light at the end of the tunnel...

Ive got a ton of pics... one of these days I'll get them in some kind of order and post them. I've almost burned myself out working on it and trying to get everything perfect. Mine was so far off from the start. At least now I kind of see the light at the end of the tunnel...

Very understandable. Get your thread started!!! I just open a photobucket account and use that to upload the pictures. Working on getting the body perfect takes time and a lot of agony.

=g=

Let me know if your gonna be here tomorrow and Ill stay home from the office "again"... hahaha

Hope I dont get fired... :wink:

Well I have been so busy and with a lot of rain recently I finally got pics uploaded from the Nikon. I didn't edit these so they are raw pics just resized.

Well with the front tweeked and awaiting some minor details I started redoing the side skirts and the rear quarter fitment. The spats are going to be matted to a factory rear lower valence till I finish all the other carbon work being performed aswell. Here are some updates from the past 3 weeks. It's been humid and wet so work has been slow so I switched to work all at night every night till it's ready for final paint. Switched colors from the grey type color to a more clean color. When paint is on it will be posted.

016-2.jpg

018-1.jpg

017-2.jpg

043.jpg

Since the doors will be worked and jams soon to be painted I removed the interior and wrapped the dash for the meantime.
003-1.jpg

002-1.jpg

Rear disassembly has been started for all jam and under trunk paint prep.
001-1.jpg

Cut up the ss to make flush to the quarter panel.
037.jpg

=)

Last edited:
Back