• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Value / Appreciation / help in buying?

Some interesting trends occuring in the NSX market (I think)...

Normal NSX owners are still sellers due to the economy, and there are far fewer new NSX buyers with typical incomes.

BUT,

Owners of Porsches, Ferraris, Lambos have gotten slaughtered with depreciation in the last year, and are also experiencing the tough economy and looking to downsize. For a few of them, an NSX looks like a great compromise. Exotic, fun sportscar that is cheap to maintain, can be purchased for $25-65k, and doesn't depreciate much if any. With so few NSXs made, it doesn't take many of these folks to become interested in the NSX for demand to materially increase. Interesting stuff...

Some interesting trends occuring in the NSX market (I think)...

Normal NSX owners are still sellers due to the economy, and there are far fewer new NSX buyers with typical incomes.

BUT,

Owners of Porsches, Ferraris, Lambos have gotten slaughtered with depreciation in the last year, and are also experiencing the tough economy and looking to downsize. For a few of them, an NSX looks like a great compromise. Exotic, fun sportscar that is cheap to maintain, can be purchased for $25-65k, and doesn't depreciate much if any. With so few NSXs made, it doesn't take many of these folks to become interested in the NSX for demand to materially increase. Interesting stuff...

Ski - you raise an interesting point.

On Rennlist and 6speedonline I've noticed that guys whom normally buy 997's or the GT3 variant are now selling and looking to pick up 993's. Most have either owned one in the past or always wanted one. Recently there's been alot of renewed interest in air cooled Porsches and this too was highlighted by an article written in Total 911 last fall. Interesting that the 997 took design cues from the 993 as the 996 was a flop in design terms. But the sexiness and purity of the 993 seems to be drawing people back.

Much like the NSX of lately prices have become slightly more managable for most everyone looking for a sportscar, even 993's.

What's more surprising to me is that "sportscars" have typically been 2-door, 2 seat sport machines. But in the past few years we've seen an explosion of 2 and 4-door performance with seating for 4 passengers creep onto the scene. Examples: GT-R, Lexus IS-F, Porsche Panamera, Maserati Quatroporte (ugly), BMW's M3 in 2 and 4-door guise, etc.

That's just my observations on the sports car and P-car market but I guess it would make sense that the Ferrari et.al other exotic owners are now looking at "the smart mans" NSX.

Last edited:
Hmmm... Im not so sure what to make of the market overall now... I feel like Im sensing what the original poster was saying. Since my last NSX back in 03, I feel that the cars Im seeing have gotten rougher and the sellers are seemingly non-negotiable and what I would consider way high.

I think my expectations are fair too... 97+, manual only, no black or white and no extensive mods are my only requirements and my budget is up to $45k. I think thats reasonable, but Im not seeing anything out there that is remotely interesting.

Compared to the market for 911s, Vipers, Lotus, and even Ferrari, I think the NSX is way out of sync.

I'd love to jump back in, but I think Ill probably end up with either a 911TT or an Esprit based on the cars Ive been seeing.

Last edited:
[QUOTE=tbromley;1192252]The yellow one is a great deal if you have just a bit more cash and you just love the hell out of yellow - ummmm, sorry guys but yellow on yellow is for the strong at heart first thing in the morning. You'll be looking for a switch for that interior if you know what I mean. That is not for everyone and that's why it's still for sale - make no mistake about it.

I would buy any original color exterior/interior 02+ nsx before I bought a 91 nsx. I must have a strong heart in the mornings. I also can tell you if you can't handle all the attention choose another lowprofile color interior. I had a 97 spa yellow on black but when I saw a yellow on yellow, I sold that car in a hurry.

Bangbang... Your car was awesome. If that guy hadnt snapped it up I would have in a heartbeat.

Perhaps the color combo is too extreme for some, but to me, exotic cars are about being extreme in many ways and I think the yellow/yellow was on the right side of the tasteful line.

I was reading through the beginning of this thread and the second post was talking about NSX prices had never been so cheap. I was thinking this was a recent thread. In my head I was like should have bought in 2010 when I did. THEEENNNNN I saw the date. Thanks Yinzer for bumping this thread.

I was reading through the beginning of this thread and the second post was talking about NSX prices had never been so cheap. I was thinking this was a recent thread. In my head I was like should have bought in 2010 when I did. THEEENNNNN I saw the date. Thanks Yinzer for bumping this thread.

Ha ha great! There are some threads I stumble upon that I refuse to bump. This one, I didn't think it mattered so much. I think it's really good to let some threads be, and reflect the date of the time the discussion occurred, so that when you sort a particular forum by date, The last, show up frozen in time.

But really the reason I bumped this thread was that it seemed like a fun place to post the article I shared which was the first "NSX's are overpriced" mention I've read in the past couple years ! Then again, in the context of the declining population of baby boomers and affinity worldwide away from dinosaur oil burning transportation, it is a pretty sobering thought.

Back