• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Owners DOGS

Sorry to hear about your loss. Those who have lost a cherished pet understand how devastating it is to lose someone with whom you have shared your life for a long time. For many years, we have owned one or two bearded collies at a time; we are now on our fourth and fifth. When we lose one, we wait a while, until we feel we are ready to accept a new puppy for who he/she is, and not as a replacement for the one we lost. Sometimes this takes three months, sometimes three years. For me, "Dogs aren't my whole life, but they make my life whole." And I can't imagine life without one (or two).

Dogs are great, and I think it's a great arrangement we have with them. As part of our family, they give us entertainment and affection. In exchange, we give them entertainment and affection, as well as security in the form of food, shelter, and health care. I think they give us way more than we give them, since their entire lives revolve around us, whereas they are only one part of our lives. That balance changes a bit in the last few years of their lives, when they need more care, inconveniencing us with an occasional mess or other extra assistance needed - but that is a small price to pay considering all their previous giving.

As for the difference in lifespan, it's something you need to accept from the first day you get a dog; unless you're over 80-90 years old, there's a high probability you will outlive him/her. From our typical human perspective, that means we have to go through the pain of eventually losing them, and our lives continuing on without them. But from their canine perspective, all they know is that they have a happy life, and with luck they live to an appropriate old age, with a lifespan typically ranging from 6-10 years for a giant breed, to as much as 16-20 years for a toy breed. That part of the deal may seem unfair for us, but from their perspective, that's a nice long life, even though it seems short by our human standards. So that part of the arrangement is actually one-sided - we lose them, while they have a nice long life - but I'm willing to accept that, because when you think about it, it's great for the dog, even though it sucks for us.

Again, sorry to hear about Tree. Hopefully one day you'll meet him at the Rainbow Bridge.

I am surprised, I've never seen this thread before since I love dogs. Anyway I thought I'd share, here are some pictures of ours. Clearly we like the short nose breeds (grew up with a pug). I want to get more but I think my fiancee will kill me. They are the best part of my day when I get home...after greeting the fiancee of course!

Attachments

• Lexi, Xena and Joli.jpg
    Lexi, Xena and Joli.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 66
  • Lexi and Joli.jpg
    Lexi and Joli.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 61
  • Xena.jpg
    Xena.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 58
Evidently my French bulldog is shy at times!

It's February 9. Tree left us one year ago today. Still hurts like hell. It's taken me the better part of this year for me to be able to think about him and smile without getting all weepy-eyed, although I must admit to failing at it as I type this.

Love you, Tree, still miss you like crazy.

It’s time to cancel delivery of the newspaper.

Yesterday our beloved Border Collie “Tree” was euthanized. He had bladder cancer that spread to his chest cavity and into his lungs. I will miss him terribly. He was 12 years and eight months old. And up until the last month or so, had the spirit and spunk of a four-year-old dog.

In the summer of 2002 my wife’s then teen-aged son Danny pleaded with us to get a dog. One of his high school buddies had just gotten a pup from a litter, from a family nearby. They bred working dogs. I said “absolutely NO!” I remember the hurt when I lost my Husky/Border Collie mix many years ago, and I did not want to go through that again. I went to the Miami International Car Show; they went and picked up the dog.

Tree was actually the pick of the litter. The family had chosen to keep him. The little girl from the family named all the pups. He was named “Christmas Tree” because of the white mark on the back of his neck. It formed a perfect outline of a pine tree. We thought the name unique and kept it. We got Tree when he was about five months old.

111-1140_IMG.jpg

Yes, he grew into his ears.

He was a trip: energetic, smart, compliant. Happy. Did I say energetic? He needed a job. As soon as he hit 10 months, we started Frisbee training. His job from then on was to catch Frisbees.

God, how he loved playing Frisbee. We would buy Frisbees 100 at a time. (Fastback print rejects from Discover the World, just over $1 each if bought in volume.) We would go every Saturday morning to be trained by a Freestyle National Champion, on how to train our dog. We also learned how to do the 40-yard toss, a two-minute drill rewarding points for catches, the longer the throw the higher the points, with a bonus point for being “four paws up”, off the ground at the catch.
We would play Frisbee before breakfast; before we’d leave for work; at lunchtime (my wife would drive home every day, a 30-mile round-trip to play with him); when Danny got home from school; when we got home from work; after dinner; and finally, up at the park under the lights before bed.
Between weekend training and Saturday and Sunday training for the long toss, and Freestyle sessions all day long, he was in incredible condition. His heart would pump so strongly that during routine exams the vet would almost always remark on how slow his heartbeat was. We are biased, but he really was a magnificent specimen of a Border Collie, around 50 pounds nearly all his life, mostly muscle, broad chest, very handsome. Long, long canine teeth.

111-1166_IMG.jpg

119-1959_IMG.jpg

126-2669_IMG.jpg

His intensity at Frisbee training bordered on ridiculous. We kept him and his then stable mate (my avatar is a sketch I did of Tree and Leila) in two large crates in the back of our Honda Odyssey minivan. When it wasn’t his turn but he could see the other dogs on the field, he would bark and carry on crazily. He even bent the metal crate by grabbing onto it and pulling, trying to free himself to join the fun. And he played Frisbee with the same intensity.

From the beginning he made a wonderful connection with humans. Eye-to-eye contact, always ready to please. You’d call his name and he’d snap his head around, ears up, tail wagging, “What?” And he was always a very loving dog, ready to receive a hug, give a paw, wag his tail, give kisses.

IMG_0142.jpg

I have seen many dogs with a huge vocabulary, and while Tree might not have been as well-trained as some you might see in internet videos, he did understand a huge number of words and phrases. It is true what they say about Border Collies. They truly are scary smart. You could see the wheels turning when we’d talk to him.

We taught him to get the newspaper from the driveway in two mornings. He already knew the “Pick it up” command from Frisbee training, so I brought him to the newspaper one morning, pointed to the paper and said “Pick it up”, and said “Paper”. I told him to “drop”, then repeated “Pick it up. Paper”, and pointed to it, a few times. Next morning we walked to the driveway. “Pick up the paper”. Third morning I opened the front door and told him “Go get the paper!” Wheels turned, he hesitated, looked puzzled, looked around, saw the newspaper on the driveway, and bolted to get it. From then on for about 11 years, every morning he got the paper and then got breakfast. It was one of his “jobs”.

In the afternoon you could set your clock by his stomach. On weekends when we were home it would start at 3pm daily. He’d stand by his bowl and bark. We’d say “you have to wait”. He’d slink off and we’d repeat that dance every half hour until dinner time.

When we first got him we crate trained him, since we knew puppies love to tear things up, and Border Collies have a HUGE amount of energy. He did great with that. After ensuring he was housebroken and demonstrated he could be trusted outside his crate when we were home, we started leaving him out. We had Berber carpeting in the living room. One day he discovered it’s really cool to grab hold of one of the carpet loops and pull. Hey, fun! Let’s do it again! By the time he was done he had pulled up about two square feet of the carpet – the first thing you’d see when you walk in the front door! Thanks to him, we ended up with hardwood flooring. Which he hated later as he got older since it was slippery.

Tree loved the water. We live on a 55-acre lake, and he loved playing Frisbee in it. He also used to love to dig for rocks. He’d walk backwards, scraping his front paws in the sand and when he felt a rock would dive for it and bring it up for us to throw for him. Which we didn’t because he’d try to catch it. And he did that with anyone he could convince to throw for him. We used to have to tell people to not throw it where he could catch it. We didn’t want him to break his teeth! He had an uncanny ability to bring someone a rock, especially at the beach, have someone throw it in the water, and find that same exact rock over and over, even in the surf.

122-2250_IMG.jpg

He thought anyone that came to visit, anyone, strangers on the street, people at the beach (oh, he LOVED going to the beach!), existed solely to throw something for him to fetch. Rocks, bark chips, sticks. We’d be talking and he’d walk up to his new “victim”, drop something at their feet, and stare at it. Then he’d look up in their eyes, then back to the item. If he wasn’t acknowledged, he’d bark, pick it up, and move it closer to them. If he succeeded in engaging his victim, it was on! He would play until that person’s attention span was exceeded. He never relented. He literally would tear up his paw pads playing, if you let him.

IMG_0162.jpg

He also loved to run, run, run. I’d take him for a bike ride, first on leash, then off-leash. When he was off leash he would “herd” me. He’d run up the right side of me about 50 feet ahead, stop, turn around, go behind me, then run up my left side head about 50 feet, stop, turn around, and do it again. So when we did this, he’d run about twice as far as I’d ride. To keep him from doing that I’d have to haul ass so he didn’t get that far ahead. And he’d turn his head and make sure he was ahead. His stopping and turning around, going behind would tear up his paws. Crazy dog.

I had always wanted a dog I could walk off leash. I was able to do that with Tree even near busy roads, although I really didn’t very often. I just knew I could. One time in our neighborhood we were on a walk and he saw a squirrel, and started to chase it. I yelled “Leave it!!” and he stopped dead in his tracks, looked back at me, and dropped his head saying “aw, really?”

As he got older he really mellowed, although it took until he was about seven years old to calm down. He still loved to play, was still a happy, happy dog, but finally relented on wanting to play Frisbee all the time. He became even more loving, enjoying sitting on the couch and snuggling. Every morning when I showered for work he would come into the bathroom, sit next to the shower, get hugs and a belly rub, and give kisses. It was a routine with him. He’d see me get my underclothes from the closet, know I was going to shower, and go right into the bathroom before I got there.

As I said, he had an incredible connection with people. I’d walk up, spread my arms like I’m about to hug him, and he’d pin his ears back submissively, lick his lips, wag his tail, and sit down to receive hugs. Which I did daily as often as I could. When we’d meet friends on the street a simple “go say ‘hello’” would release him and he’d go over, bow his head, wag his tail, and receive loving. Everyone he met loved him. And nearly everyone ended up becoming his fetch “victim”.

Tree also loved to play with our other dogs, most recently, our red Australian Shepherd, “Cody”. Nearly every morning, even as recently as only two months ago, he’d dive into his toy basket and bring us a tug toy. We’d say “go play with Cody”, and he’d trot over to him and present the tug toy, and they’d play.

He also liked toys that squeaked. All I had to do was say “Squeaker, Squeaker!!” and he run to his toy basket and find his favorite squeaky toy, and chomp on it for the longest time. We knew better than to ask him to do that if we wanted to actually carry on a conversation or hear the television.

In the last year he finally slowed down, a victim of old age. He received a senior wellness exam last summer and all was fine. This past winter he started slowing down even more, becoming a couch potato and sleeping a bit more. And finally in the last month, he was alarmingly slow, so we brought him to the vet where he was diagnosed with bladder cancer, with the cancer having spread to his lungs.

We are so going to miss him. His love of live, his constant happiness, his enthusiasm, his love for people, the connection with him, loving to cuddle.

It’s time to cancel delivery of the newspaper. RIP Tree, the World’s Best Dog.

IMG_0010.jpg

Last edited:
It's February 9. Tree left us one year ago today. Still hurts like hell. It's taken me the better part of this year for me to be able to think about him and smile without getting all weepy-eyed, although I must admit to failing at it as I type this.

Love you, Tree, still miss you like crazy.

I have two BCs of my own. I can't imagine losing either. Sorry for your loss.

attachment.php

This is Archimedes "Archie", he is a half Shih Tzu half Lhasa Apso ball of fuzzy energy! This picture was taken very shortly after I adopted him. I quickly learned that he is not your typical lap puppy, he loves hiking, climbing, playing with MUCH larger dogs and of course loves...riding in the NSX!
attachment.php

He isn't opposed to helping around in the garage either.
attachment.php

Archie is now over a year and a half old (I adopted him at three months old) and I couldn't imagine him NOT being around. He's my best friend and wingman!

Attachments

• IMG_1685.jpg
    IMG_1685.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_2746.jpg
    IMG_2746.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_2951.jpg
    IMG_2951.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:
attachment.php
attachment.php

One of my 3 boxer dogs which I breed and show with my wife. This is our male.

- - - Updated - - -

attachment.php

And my two bitches.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 267
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 267
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:
attachment.php
The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
-Anonymous
Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.
-Ann Landers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.
-Ben Williams
A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.
-Josh Billings
The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.
-Andy Rooney
Dogs love their friends and bite their enemies, quite unlike people, who are incapable of pure love and always have to mix love and hate.
- Sigmund Freud
I wonder if other dogs think poodles are members of a weird religious cult.
-Rita Rudner
A dog teaches a boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
-Robert Benchley
Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog.
-Franklin P. Jones
If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few persons.
-James Thurber
If your dog is fat, you aren't getting enough exercise.
-Virginia Haven
My dog is worried about the economy because Alpo is up to $3.00 a can. That's almost $21.00 in dog money.
-Joe Weinstein
Ever consider what our dogs must think of us? I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul -- chicken, pork, half a cow. They must think we're the greatest hunters on earth!
-Anne Tyler
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
-Mark Twain
You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog will give you a look that says, 'Wow, you're right! I never would've thought of that!'
- Dave Barry
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
-Roger Caras
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then give him only two of them.
-Phil Pastoret
Treasured pups still get a good-night pat even after a feather pillow mysteriously embellishes the yard.
-Kathe Campbell

Attachments

• IMG_1858.jpg
    IMG_1858.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 374
this is Andy, my NSX ridin' buddy and the best guy you could ever want. i'm so grateful for him, he brings a lot of happiness, fun, love and company to my life.

8_7_s1pTUihPaELRRwJaXelqJM3MKURuqCVnxcbpkiWiXp_pwbDufokfbH6yagEa4BuCuC-2qgyjXT6oUUUZXnSum2YMMQJu7knW6BWH24w660zUg-P5sVb4zcyTgCzI07u7Zfs07U1Nq4f_lVTwiG7KbFniUFSRqNnyxVRw3wlnZVjrctGYgwyNepf8rHuMMNzJTyvFHvKXTVTyA-yae-HXjz8Y64bdTR3I38HiCNI7Y2iA1NYFA2TEh8sK7KjOJZ_kgq0CHrLx2gtP-1WvlJrHbObwC4OOI2D0qEeZJX_ZdeTydRw_HLMhhj83giG67S5ihIEs1PXWlf8VH1L9u6HJvNv5azjkwmuz7zG3JXlvo6fkIEICOfpF7JkcME0T7FgImdW2vmkAU2nYP620bYDef3XNr_RisBSyZYxg9SLiaZZ6c_N7KRNmC7gK5IcBrquKshqVDcgNOX_p-17VGBsKDTdhI4C8meYn-uZRf4XnQlj5cThWNnSdelAnuCVoRJybhCSP1N7FaWT9HYoI16E7SJ99n4j7wXvGM6HXXPO3YCQWu9GBE5ZOr8ouqyuiZrdv=w1198-h898-no

Last edited:
I have two BCs of my own. I can't imagine losing either. Sorry for your loss.

Belated thank you, Nicholas421 and all of you that responded to my original post in 2015, for the kind words.

And to all that have posted prior and since, thanks for the great pictures.

To all that visit this thread and are blessed to have these wonderful creatures around, remember they're on this earth only a short while; love them, appreciate them, and let them know it, while you can. :biggrin:

Last edited:
....we are getting our first dog this weekend....pics once we get settled......Ausie labadoodle.....female

....we are getting our first dog this weekend....pics once we get settled......Ausie labadoodle.....female

I've got a teddy bear goldendoodle, she's almost 5 and amazing. Golden/Lab poodle mixes are great dogs. I'd like another. Post up some pics!

Attachments

• honey on bed.JPG
    honey on bed.JPG
    386.4 KB · Views: 75
here is Lola at 3.5 months

Attachments

• V__5FF7.jpg
    V__5FF7.jpg
    459.1 KB · Views: 50
  • WP_20160506_19_06_47_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160506_19_06_47_Pro.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 49
here is Lola at 3.5 months
Cool dog Doc... Every man should own a dog. Fun fact though, labradoodles are not a real breed. So I hope you weren't dooped into paying for a thoroughbred "labradoodle". This breed is new and not yet recognized by the AKC, "American kennel club". But my neighbors and a few friends have them. The best part is, "THEY DO NOT SHED!" I wish my boxers had that quality. They are some really neat dogs though and I think sooner or later they will be recognized as a breed.
Hopefully they will fall into the working breed like a boxer does. They are really cool dogs. Enjoy your new future furniture.:biggrin:

Back