• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Billy Johnson and Moto IQ's: Project NSX

Most interesting article!
I would be curious to compare the HP curves against a CTSC NSX specially when the engine gets hot...
I remember having difficulties in passing a std 3.2 L NSX with my CTSC at the Le Mans Bugatti track here in France.
No longer an issue since going turbo of course:smile:

^
Wow great read. Not sure how I missed this but glad to have clicked on the link.

So all of this is with the stock injectors and no special tuning? Curious what could've have been done with the Prospeed mod.

Still very cool to see the development and makes me want to get a set of V3s!
Yes the car has stock injectors and ECU/tune. We could make even more power if we hooked up the F-Con ECU that I have (which is brand new in box and is for sale) to optimize timing & fuel for its current state. However, the car is going to be turboed and since i'm not with the car, unfortunately we will not be optimizing this setup.

Most interesting article!
I would be curious to compare the HP curves against a CTSC NSX specially when the engine gets hot...
I remember having difficulties in passing a std 3.2 L NSX with my CTSC at the Le Mans Bugatti track here in France.
No longer an issue since going turbo of course:smile:
That is the major issue with any positive displacement/screw-type supercharger -keeping the IAT's under control. I've had twin screw Mustangs heat soak and make less power than stock. Someone would need to log their IATs on track, then dyno the car at the same IATs to see what its true power is while on track.

While s/c are great for street driving, the continuous loading on throttle can easily get the IAT's out of control in anything from a Lotus Exige, Mustang, NSX, Viper, you name it. Centrifugal s/c and turbos are easier to control IATs with in-line air/air or air/water intercoolers for track use.

Billy if you are going FI for this project, you should take a hard look at the B&B header/exhaust combo. It has the largest collectors and piping of any NSX exhaust system: 2.5" (63mm) straight through. Just make sure you have them put the O2 bung on the collector.

http://www.bbexhaust.com/car/nsx/

Billy, how come you're selling the fcon? Going motec instead?

Also, I've ran 3 track events with 100% water injection on my CTSC. Two of those events was in blazing dry California heat. My temps never got above the mid 50s Celsius and usually around the high 40s. Jon was helping me tune for one of those days. He'll vouch for its effectiveness. You loose some power (maybe 15hp?) But not nearly as much as he at soaking when IATs are 200F+.

I've been saying this in all my threads... Water injection for the CTSC is where its at. ALL other cooling solutions don't work or heatsoak eventually.

Last edited:
ProEFI 128 or AEM Infinity are cheaper options than Motec and will fit your needs. I am in the process of running ProEFI as we speak. Just waiting on my ECU to come in from being on back order.

I also would much rather run a centrifugal supercharger and A2W over CTSC and water injection. It is not cheaper, but the effects have been more promising in previous projects I have owned as well as friends projects also. To each his own however.

I almost pulled the trigger on the ProEFI unit. Please post your feedback when done. Decided to go F-con iS but considering going vpro eventually. I went with my tuners's pref at this point.

I think the debate between turbo, centrifugal, PS type forced induction can go on for days but us CA folks are extremely limited due to the lack of CARB certified kits out there so our hands are tied.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw, Billy and I share the same tuner. I can't say enough kind things about Jon and I consider him a friend. Smart, talented, and humble individual. I asked about motec because last he told me he only tunes on motec and HKS.

Billy, how come you're selling the fcon? Going motec instead?

Also, I've ran 3 track events with 100% water injection on my CTSC. Two of those events was in blazing dry California heat. My temps never got above the mid 50s Celsius and usually around the high 40s. Jon was helping me tune for one of those days. He'll vouch for its effectiveness. You loose some power (maybe 15hp?) But not nearly as much as he at soaking when IATs are 200F+.

I've been saying this in all my threads... Water injection for the CTSC is where its at. ALL other cooling solutions don't work or heatsoak eventually.
I don't want to let the cat out of the bag for the future installments of Project NSX, but yes, I'm going to sell my F-Con for a Motec since I have a Motec Dash and there are some pretty trick stuff in the future that I'm going to do and the integration with the dash is huge for being able to read everything. If it wasn't for that, I would be using the F-con which is awesome and with Jon tuning it, it truly is better than OEM driveability and reliability. I can't say that for most the tuners out there (dealing with some Mustang tuner headaches at the moment) and getting a good ECU and a tuner is priceless. I highly recommend Jon and the F-Con.

Meth is a huge help for any FI, but it's just another thing to stay on top of, fill up, and another thing that could go wrong. In racing simpler is better. However, the sacrifices of meth isn't bad and it kind of is a must for CTSC cars.

I almost pulled the trigger on the ProEFI unit. Please post your feedback when done. Decided to go F-con iS but considering going vpro eventually. I went with my tuners's pref at this point.

I think the debate between turbo, centrifugal, PS type forced induction can go on for days but us CA folks are extremely limited due to the lack of CARB certified kits out there so our hands are tied.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw, Billy and I share the same tuner. I can't say enough kind things about Jon and I consider him a friend. Smart, talented, and humble individual. I asked about motec because last he told me he only tunes on motec and HKS.

I definitely will make a write up after I come off the dyno. Things have been pushed back because the ecu is on backorder. I wanted to run a F-con Vpro, but things with the tuner didn't work out and I have two ProEFI tuners within 15 min of me. I don't want to derail the thread so good luck with the motec Billy.

Great article Billy I so wish you were staying N/A if only so i could follow what has been done by experts, what happened to Ken @FXMD inlet design is that still in the works for the N/A guys?

I agree with the meth argument. Its why I don't use it. Using 100% water has all the benefits of cooling and none of the downside. If you run out of water the IAT table can be set to tune back the timing and nothing goes kaboom.

I can't foresee myself running meth for track days. Too big of a risk if something fails.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry..sorry... Back on track. Following your build!

I think that project was ax'ed, but I personally want them to produce a manifold that is less restrictive, allow for a bolt on larger throttle body, and stays within the factory size (but smaller) and utilize the OEM top mounted honda cover and plate. There is power to be gained in the intake manifold.

Yeah I thought that had been canned but thought they were still working on something, I had hoped it might end up on your article before you went FI.
Still love the article I am about to WPC my gearbox because of it.

Here's the next installment of Project NSX -

Check out PART 6: Building the Ultimate Fuel Pump Assembly (6-page)

1%20Hanger%20Cover%20Title-L.jpg

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArtic...Building-The-Ultimate-Fuel-Pump-Assembly.aspx

In the article

-Disassemble stock Fuel Pump Hanger
-Modify Fuel Pump Hanger with motorsport bulkhead wiring connector and Brown & Miller Racing Solutions fittings
-Building BMRS PTFE (Teflon) coated hoses and fittings
-BMRS-WIRED Alcohol-proof wiring
-Walbro 416 (E85-compatible) fuel pump
-Sandblasted Fuel Pump Hanger
-Calico PTFE coated hanger (CT-42 coating)
-Viton insulation sheet
And much more...

Enjoy!

I think that project was ax'ed, but I personally want them to produce a manifold that is less restrictive, allow for a bolt on larger throttle body, and stays within the factory size (but smaller) and utilize the OEM top mounted honda cover and plate. There is power to be gained in the intake manifold.

How about that DMS intake manifold in development? Doesn't meet all your requirements but seemed to show some gains in the upper rev range.

Its a nice design and made gains in the mid range as well. No doubt a great option. I was just thinking of a manifold a little smaller that uses the OEM top mounted cover and plate.

It's been a few years, but Project NSX is back!

PART 7: Installing PFC Multi-Pad Monobloc Calipers

Project NSX is back! (Again!) We return by installing arguably the most advanced brakes ever to be fitted on an NSX, in anticipation of more than doubling the stock output with a turbo. We decided to go with a race proven braking system from Performance Friction, who is no stranger to leading-edge, championship-winning designs. Their braking systems have been on many winning NSXs, including the FXMD Time Attack NSX that I set many lap records with over the years. Additionally, we are updating to the new 2000+ NSX ABS module to replace the poor performing archaic original pump.

0%20Project%20NSX%20Performance%20Friction%20MultiPad%20Brakes%20Cover-X3.jpg

https://motoiq.com/project-nsx-part-7-installing-pfc-multi-pad-monobloc-calipers/

In the article

-History of the Multi-Pad Caliper (4 pads per caliper!)
-Development of the NSX Multi-pad caliper
-Performance Friction Rotor tech
-2000+ ABS update
And much more...

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Nice to see you continue to update the old nsx! I still use the PFC-1 pads on my brembos...

Billy. Would you rather look at these or brembo Indy?
Technically there is no such thing as a "Brembo Indy" caliper. That nomenclature was coined in the NSX community for a standard 2-pc Brembo motorsport caliper which is now probably 25+ year old technology and does not have dust seals.

This monobloc Multi-pad caliper was developed in Champ Cars about 15 years ago and is far more advanced, stiffer and has better feel and release characteristics. It also has dust seals which is better for street use. Unfortunately short of a group buy, PFC wont make another run of these calipers since they discontinued the line due to the difficulty educating people on the benefits and advancements of the technology. It's far easier to sell something inferior that is easily understandable and relatable.

Nice to see you continue to update the old nsx! I still use the PFC-1 pads on my brembos...
The 01 pad is tried and true. One of my all time favorite racing compounds.

It's really fun to see this project still moving along! Great work Billy.
Thanks! More to come!

Back