• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Heads up on NA2 coupe

be careful.

their was a silver na2 coupe that originally resided in the bay area that unfortunatly was a light rollover. it was repaired well but nonetheless it was rolled. I don't know if this is that car... however how many silver na2 coupe are their and this add does mention an accident (under full disclosure) where a delivery truck hit the front of the car.

i would be curious where this car is from, if we find it is from the bay area (norcal) then their is more to the accident story then is being disclosed. If the car is from somewhere other then the bay area, then perhaps this is a good find.

i did some further checking. this is NOT the nsx that was rolled. the one that was rolled was also silver but was a 2000 nsx with last two digits of the vin 14, this is not that car. sad both silver na2 coupes that have come up have been damaged?

Nice looking - damaged - non factory paint - insanely high price = one stupid buyer would have to go for this. You can go to the N3s for this price and have a really good choice of cars. Put anothe 10k with this price and you're almost to the N3 only one white coupe or was that a 2000 or 2001 - can't recall. It's a real jewel with no history of damage. So serious collectors wouldn't touch this car even if it is a coupe. Whoever is selling this thinks there is a BIG ASS sucker out there! No self respecting true collector would have it. Pretty though to bad...

My 2 cents

Nice looking - damaged - non factory paint -

My 2 cents

What do you mean by non-factory paint? Kaiser silver is a standard NSX colour.

It is too bad that a lot of the NA2 coupes up for sale seem to have had prior damage. I almost bought a '98 coupe that was for sale on Ebay earlier in the year. I arranged a PPI which showed evidence of a probable minor front-end collision.

Decided to pass on that car, although now that I think about it, I kind of regret making that decision.

What do you mean by non-factory paint? Kaiser silver is a standard NSX colour.

It is too bad that a lot of the NA2 coupes up for sale seem to have had prior damage. I almost bought a '98 coupe that was for sale on Ebay earlier in the year. I arranged a PPI which showed evidence of a probable minor front-end collision.

Decided to pass on that car, although now that I think about it, I kind of regret making that decision.

If you read the ad posted by the OP, you'll see this>

There is a cafax record from original owner with records of repair - accident was a service truck backing up into front passenger fender when this car was parked. This record has been saved for full disclosure with damage being minor and superficial; fender was replaced and paintwork involved blending of surrounding panels.

Maybe its just me but wouldn't you think that the front bumper would match the front quarters if is had been blended to match?? Nevertheless a pity such a desirable cars has an unsorted history.

If you read the ad posted by the OP, you'll see this>

There is a cafax record from original owner with records of repair - accident was a service truck backing up into front passenger fender when this car was parked. This record has been saved for full disclosure with damage being minor and superficial; fender was replaced and paintwork involved blending of surrounding panels.

Well, given that I AM the original poster, and that I did read that, I just wanted some clarification on what he meant by non-factory paint? Does he have more info on the accident? Is he just assuming that the paint used was not OEM? Was there a colour change?

Obviously, the car was partially repainted. But if OE paint was used, then I do not consider than non-factory paint.

To my knowledge there is no such thing as replacement OE paint.If I'm understanding your use of the term(in your mind) the paint would have had to have come from tochigi and be at least 4 years old.:wink: So all nsx repaints are mixed at the site of service using whatever pigments/fairy dust that the oem code calls for.

To my knowledge there is no such thing as replacement OE paint.If I'm understanding your use of the term(in your mind) the paint would have had to have come from tochigi and be at least 4 years old.:wink: So all nsx repaints are mixed at the site of service using whatever pigments/fairy dust that the oem code calls for.

Hmm, that is news to me. For example, my car has the Downforce TypeR hood and rear spoiler painted black. Since Berlina Black is a colour that Honda uses on other vehicles, I thought that such paint would be available to body shops. I also remember needing some body and paintwork done on my M5. The shop (which is a highly-respected shop) assured me that they used the same paint as factory. Is it possible that they were lying? Or maybe their definition of "factory paint" is a bit different than mine?

Your last sentance is correct.The paint is mixed to the factory code standard.

Factory Paint? Or same color as Factory Paint?

The NSX uses a "4-coat, 4-bake" process. The layers (from top to bottom) are: Clear coat, Base coat, 2nd color-primer, 1st color-primer, Electro-deposition coat, Chromate coat, Bare aluminum.

These are applied in the following 27-step process (from start to finish): degrease / water rinse / chromate coat / water rinse / air dry / electro-deposition coat / water rinse / bake /anti-moisture sealant / anti-corrosion undercoat / bake / anti-chipping primer / first color-primer / bake / hand wet-sanding / forced-air dry / second color-primer /bake / base coat / forced air blow off / clear coat / bake / roof painting / flash-off / clear coat / bake / anti-corrosion hot wax injection / final assembly

Sometimes the paint used by body shops is the same as used in the factory.

It is possible that shop uses the same paint as the BMW factory.

The poster above knows the paint biz better than the rest of us :wink:

Back