• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How to remove coolant tank

So i want to paint my milk jug but i don't know how to remove the coolant tank. basically i don't know how to do it properly without getting air in the cooling system and without making a mess everywhere. anyone want to give me step by step directions?

1. Move the clamp on the lower hose down the hose. DO NOT REMOVE FILLER CAP.
2. Wiggle the hose to loosen it.
3. Remove the 3 bolts holding the tank in place.
4. Tip the tank to raise the bottom hose connection above the fluid level.
5. Disconnect the tank from the hose. Plug hose. (A wooden dowel works good)
6. Pour coolant from tank into clean container.
7. Wash inside and outside of tank with warm water and dishsoap. Rinse well. Allow to dry. Scuff outside of tank with Scotch Brite Pad.
8. Paint tank. (Be sure to leave a verticle stripe to see fluid level.)
9. Replace tank in reverse order.
10. Replace coolant. (Pour used coolant through a paint filter to collect any particles, Home Depot/Lowes $.50) No bleeding required.

Last edited:
Just about the stripe for the fluid level. I've installed a new one which the owner painted black before installation. It was more than a guessing game about the fluid level. I had to open the cap to be sure about the level.

Go for the NSX-R Coolant cover

P1010072-1.jpg

DSC07263.jpg

DSC07264.jpg

DSC07265.jpg

DSC07267.jpg

To save some spillage of coolant, first siphon out as much coolant from the tank as possible, then put a hose clamp onto the bottom hose to keep coolant from spillliing out of it when you slip the hose off.

I painted mine 3 years ago and it has held up just fine. However, any paint over plastic will scratch easilly, so be careful in reinstalling the tank.

FWIW, I'm not sure how long paint will stick to the plastic tank.:confused:

Just get some plastic primer and spray it that on it first.
Then you should get some "flexible paint" that would crack or chip.
That should give the best result.

Although you can also use regular good quality paint. (spray paint that is)

Back