• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ultimate Hybrid NSX Project

Dale isn't this engine too heavy for this car? I am sure ot produces a lot of power and I like the engine a lot but how does this affect the car's handling and balance? are you having to re-engineer a lot and will you have the desired balance for a race vehicle at the end?

Also can you tell me more about these crush thingies you are using or give me a link? I have no idea what these are.
It says on his website that the Ls7 is around 30lbs lighter than the C30 (or C32) engine.
Ls7 engines are a great piece of engineering.

Amazingly enough LS7 & tranny weigh 35 lbs LESS than stock NSX eng. & trans! Final weight balance will be BETTER than stock NSX---expect it to be almost perfectly 50/50, & 550 lbs lighter!---Crush "thingies" are heavily guarded science---not available as an aftermarket part---mine are being custom fabbed by shop that does a lot of IndyCar stuff, but they dont want the business---just agreed to help me out as a favor.

So Dale, what are you going to call it when it's done ?

Crush "thingies" are heavily guarded science---not available as an aftermarket part---mine are being custom fabbed by shop that does a lot of IndyCar stuff, but they dont want the business---just agreed to help me out as a favor.

Will we see any pics of this? Or is it all some big secret like where exactly Santa lives? :biggrin:

Will we see any pics of this? Or is it all some big secret like where exactly Santa lives? :biggrin:

You dont know where Santa lives????
Crush boxes are multi-layered alternating layers of Kevlar honeycomb, CF sheet, hi-density polymer foam, all encased in a CF "skin". The shop builds complete race cars, starting at $450k, & they stay real busy, so I didn't want to use their name---as a courtesy to them!
Here's a pic---hope its not too small---don't really understand the "attachments" function---seems unrealistically restrictive.IMG_3561 - Copy.jpg
I'll add actual pics of mine after they're finished---haven't even started, as door configuration isn't finalized yet (they're deeper, but only about 60% height---think DEEP sill)---building a "mock-up" door out of alum, but final will be CF.
Dale

Last edited:
If I ever came back I would basically want to be you.
I know it's been said many times before, but I also can't wait to see that beast ready to prowl.
Great project, thanks for sharing.

I would love for you to extend an invite to Leno when the car is finished. I am sure his expression would be priceless when he sees the LS7 and then drives a "proper gearbox".:biggrin:

Damn its going to be crazy.

Interesting thought!----actually I am planning to get the "MsBadwrench Racing Girls" on his new show. Am waiting untill we have our "final cut" of girls who will be changing tires & re-fueling, & when they have some serious training under their belts---I'm currently working on (over) one of racings all-time most successful crew chiefs to accept the role of training the girls in actual hot pits environment---still a lot of groveling to do, but we'll see!

Leno has a lot of "gate-keepers"----anyone have an "in"???

Dale

I would love for you to extend an invite to Leno when the car is finished. I am sure his expression would be priceless when he sees the LS7 and then drives a "proper gearbox".:biggrin:

Damn its going to be crazy.

Just added some new pics to my "build" site LS7NSX.com under the "Engine & Drivetrain" gallery, & "Chassis & Suspension" gallery---inserted a couple here for yucks!

DSC00001.jpg DSC00005.jpg

Totally NEW! 2-21-10

Many of you have asked for "broader perspective", and/or bigger pics----Well, it's finally up, ready for viewing---better than photo bucket, & a lot more narrative / descriptions of components in each pic & relatively WAAAY-Better! www.LS7NSX.com

NEW PHOTOS 10-01-09! Ultimate Hybrid NSX VIII (most outrageous engineering yet!)---Whats wrong with an all-girl pit crew? They are dedicated!---will be featured in a 16 month calendar (MsBadwrench.com) available for Christmas! Pics are at LS7NSX, Albums http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/album.php?u=10037

I could use some help from a "Solidworks" genius with aerospace experience (body mold modeling)
Also, still need connection to CF fab shop with large autoclave---any "real" help appreciated!

Last edited:
Woah! dude this thing looks like a space ship! any luck w/ contacting Leno? I'm sure he would be really impressed with this project!

Also what suspension are you going w/? Moton? JRZ? :) It would be my only 2 choices for a car that has been so modified...... you need something super high end to tame that beast! LoL

Last edited:
Horizontally-opposed Penske (series 8300) coilovers! FWIW, Penske offers MUCH greater racer support from an engineering perspective, & they are a superior shock in terms of valving configurations---I'm using a velocity dependent piston
Dale

Yea I am very interested to see how that setup works... are you thinking like the Ferrari F50 style where the shocks are laying on their sides? How do they mount? to the upper control arms?

Yea I am very interested to see how that setup works... are you thinking like the Ferrari F50 style where the shocks are laying on their sides? How do they mount? to the upper control arms?

if you look through his pictures, he created a 'bridge' between the front and rear suspension corners that will hold the shocks laying horizontal and connect to the uprights via suspension links and a sweet and awesome looking rocker design. where the connect, either to the upper control arms, lower control arms, or the upright depends on the calculated wheel rate translated through the motion ratio to the shock.
All of the suspension is completely adjustable from suspension mounting points, to what i would assume is adjustable arm lengths for infinite adjustability of camber, caster, motion ratios, etc.

if you look through his pictures, he created a 'bridge' between the front and rear suspension corners that will hold the shocks laying horizontal and connect to the uprights via suspension links and a sweet and awesome looking rocker design. where the connect, either to the upper control arms, lower control arms, or the upright depends on the calculated wheel rate translated through the motion ratio to the shock.
All of the suspension is completely adjustable from suspension mounting points, to what i would assume is adjustable arm lengths for infinite adjustability of camber, caster, motion ratios, etc.

Yea I saw some of the pics that show how the entire chassis has a pivot point and is fully independent of each other.... man this project is so badass!

I have to say. Thats a great job. I just cant wait to see it being driven and get the updates on how she handles. I know it will be fast, but with speed you also need the handling if you are going through with all this time and money. But i am sure you have all that figured out already.

Very well thought out so far tho. When do you think it will be done?

I have to say. Thats a great job. I just cant wait to see it being driven and get the updates on how she handles. I know it will be fast, but with speed you also need the handling if you are going through with all this time and money. But i am sure you have all that figured out already.

Very well thought out so far tho. When do you think it will be done?

FWIW, anyone concerned with how the "Ultimate Hybrid NSX" will handle should consider the dialogue on the "concept" and "technical" pages at my official "build site" www.LS7NSX.com

Finished car will have 5" longer wheelbase, 5.5" wider track width, be 300% stiffer, 550 lbs lighter, & 2" lower than a stock NSX----OH, did I mention the Michelin slicks are 11.5" x 26" FRT, & 12.5" x 28" Rear. 850 hp is slated with 740 ft-lbs torque---just for the "GRIN FACTOR" (sometimes referred to as "pucker factor").

I hope to debut the car this Sept.---but I've still got a LOT of work to do. I could really use some help with Solidworks modeling---cant pay much, but plenty of exposure for the right person with the right attitude!

Dale

Dale

FWIW, anyone concerned with how the "Ultimate Hybrid NSX" will handle should consider the dialogue on the "concept" and "technical" pages at my official "build site" www.LS7NSX.com

Finished car will have 5" longer wheelbase, 5.5" wider track width, be 300% stiffer, 550 lbs lighter, & 2" lower than a stock NSX----OH, did I mention the Michelin slicks are 11.5" x 26" FRT, & 12.5" x 28" Rear. 850 hp is slated with 740 ft-lbs torque---just for the "GRIN FACTOR" (sometimes referred to as "pucker factor").

I hope to debut the car this Sept.---but I've still got a LOT of work to do. I could really use some help with Solidworks modeling---cant pay much, but plenty of exposure for the right person with the right attitude!

Dale

Dale

Dude u should be working for honda.......... seriously! I bet it would smoke the Super-GT HSV STD HIV whatever the hell they're calling it ... hahah

i'm pretty good with solidworks (use it all the time at work and used it heavily for my thesis - picture in the avatar) and have a copy of 2007 on my computer and can help a little bit, but...

solid modeling in terms of body panels is VERY difficult in solidworks. that's why almost everyone in industry uses Pro-E, but those licenses are $$$...
i can see what i can come up with in terms of molds. are you planning on dry carbon or wet? (i would assume dry since you requested information on an autoclave). if so, i'll need to learn a lot more about the dry carbon process and how to design molds for that as i have no experience in it.

let me know what i can do to help.

Last edited:
i'm pretty good with solidworks (use it all the time at work and used it heavily for my thesis - picture in the avatar) and have a copy of 2007 on my computer and can help a little bit, but...

solid modeling in terms of body panels is VERY difficult in solidworks. that's why almost everyone in industry uses Pro-E, but those licenses are $$$...
i can see what i can come up with in terms of molds. are you planning on dry carbon or wet? (i would assume dry since you requested information on an autoclave). if so, i'll need to learn a lot more about the dry carbon process and how to design molds for that as i have no experience in it.

let me know what i can do to help.

WOW!---Thanks for the offer! (I just sent you PM)

Dale

Back