• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ultimate Hybrid NSX Project

Totally NEW! 4-13-10

Just added some new pics to my "build" site LS7NSX.com under the "Engine & Drivetrain" gallery, & "Chassis & Suspension" gallery---inserted a few here for yucks!

View attachment 65403View attachment 65404View attachment 65414View attachment 65415View attachment 65416View attachment 65417
DSC00022.jpgDSC00024.jpgDSC00026.jpg

Many of you have asked for "broader perspective", and/or bigger pics----Well, it's finally up, ready for viewing---better than photo bucket, & a lot more narrative / descriptions of components in each pic & relatively WAAAY-Better! www.LS7NSX.com

NEW PHOTOS 10-01-09! Ultimate Hybrid NSX VIII (most outrageous engineering yet!)---Whats wrong with an all-girl pit crew? They are dedicated!---will be featured in a 16 month calendar (MsBadwrench.com) available for Christmas! Pics are at LS7NSX, Albums http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/album.php?u=10037

I could use some help from a "Solidworks" genius with aerospace experience (body mold modeling)
Also, still need connection to CF fab shop with large autoclave---any "real" help appreciated!

4-13-10 revisions: New NOSE @ 83% scale, Penske shocks with Eibach springs positioned for pushrod & ARB calcs

Last edited:
Thanks for that, I just spit my drink on my keyboard. :biggrin:

just toss the keyboard in the dishwasher - when its done let dry and ur good to go!

Re body pics---havent gotten to fab stage yet except I have cut the complete "base profile" to what will be an armature (plug) costructed of MDF & Hi-density foam. The design is 85% finalized in scale drawings (in their 200th revision)---next step is creating a point cloud in Solid Works (thanks to one of the Prime community). I have also been using scale models of the NSX (rare Kyosho 1/12th) and of the Peugeot 908 HDI FAP (Minichamps 1/18th) to transpose complex profiles to "sections" of drawings. For the "faithful"---the finished car will still have an NSX "style" nose & rear fascia / tailight "look"!

Re "first-cut emotion"----YIPPEE! I was SO over the car's boring performance & dated appearance (sorry to all of you who love your car, but I've had mine for 15 yrs!) I will admit to succumbing to the ageless temptation to let a project "take on a life of its own"!----but not once, even an ounce of regret---only extreme anticipation!

I really applaud your effort on a project this challenging! My brother slid a Chevy 350 in his tiny S10 blazer many years ago and I never once envied his position, but it produced a one of a kind car. I'm looking forward to the first ride report.

Dale,finish this thing already....I want to see some vids of it in motion:cool:

What's a "cantilever", and do you think I should have left it on???

(sorry guys, it must be the heat---what day is it?)

lol... I think you’re kidding with me so I can say it to everyone... you know what I'm talking about for sure... we may just reffer to it as a different name.

Or maybe I spelt it wrong since I have too many job titles to keep this place open... gramatical skills have been a big issue relevant to sales recently.

Cantilever is the style of suspension mount... the horizontal mount with the push pin a-arms style. It is what actualy allows race cars to lower their ride height while keeping the suspension system OEM like... because it was built that way.

This is the last pic on a prime members webpage. The handle was Mark911.. guy is a rocket scientist... literally... super smart and that whole website is worth a look for everyone. He also did exstensive research on a gruppe m charger and the CTSC... concluding that the GMSC could outperform it... No one listened... but they all argued

I bought a GMSC back then.

http://www.mscperformance.com/Shocks-Springs.html

attachment.php

on this page he actually went into a huge explination on why the ARTA NSX is able to leave turns so quickly because of it. It shows how a stock suspension mounting system would never be able to acheive ride height to that level.

http://www.mscperformance.com/JGTCproject.html

You did it... and thats F'ing amazing!

attachment.php

Regards

Attachments

• Jgtc_008[1].jpg
    Jgtc_008[1].jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 1,743
  • layeredboth-818x279[1].jpg
    layeredboth-818x279[1].jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,738
BTW - I am not trying to direct people away from what your doing... just showing them why you are.

This is one of the most amazing builds ever.. LOL... were both doing projects to an NSX of this stature in my opinion (please take that the right way)... and from what I heard... were almost zip codes that butt up to each other.

I live on Mummy Mountain in PV... I also do what you do for a living... I opperate and RIA Firm here in Scottsdale.

I also have the purple microfiber towel you handed out at NSXPO in Phoenix... back when microfiber was a "new concept"... lol... we should of went long... maybe you did :smile:

It's crazy how we have many things in common and we never met or even spoke... I think it has to do with how much work it takes to build these things.

My K20NSX is about the only thing that grabs my time when I'm not trying to feed myself.

Id love to meet up soon... you can come out our car.. and if you wouldnt mind showing me that trhing.. I'd love to see it.

STMPO is on the 202 and Scottsdale RD... stop by anytime.

Regards

Cantilever is the style of suspension mount... the horizontal mount with the push pin a-arms style. It is what actualy allows race cars to lower their ride height while keeping the suspension system OEM like... because it was built that way.

On this page he actually went into a huge explination on why the ARTA NSX is able to leave turns so quickly because of it. It shows how a stock suspension mounting system would never be able to acheive ride height to that level.

http://www.mscperformance.com/JGTCproject.html

You did it... and thats F'ing amazing!

Regards

Thank You for the complement!

For those with perspiring minds, my car has horizontally-opposed coilovers (Penskes)---aka "cantilever" design. There are numerous advantages to this concept; the mass of the shocks & springs is much lower C.O.G.---the Penske shocks & Eibach springs are VERY light
(2.25" i.d.)---adjusting ride height & spring rates, shock compression & rebound, is MUCH easier since everything is more accessable---meaning you dont have to remove wheels & tires---OR even move around to 4 corners. Corner-balancing (using scales) is simply a matter of a few turns of a shock spanner-wrench, & if you have the new wireless scales/computer, you dont even need an assistant! NOT so obvious is you can "tweak" actual spring rates without changing springs. The shock "rockers" (fulcrum) can be fabricated in different ratios (just like a roller rocker in an OHV race engine). Also, if you look closely at my build-site, you will notice that I've incorporated 4 different "pushrod" mounting holes into the lower control arms. This facilitates 4 different "ramp angles" (changes the MA, for you engineers)that the lower control arm will transfer loading thru to the shocks (like changing the ratio of the rockers, only simpler). Doing set-up at a new track becomes a lot easier (when experimenting with different springs)---I can change-out all 4 springs in about 15 minutes, & never have to get on the ground!

Now about that ride height---actually you could get any NSX as low as the ARTA car with the conventional suspension or coilovers mounted traditionally at 4 corners----all by simply using a shorter spring! The problem is; the control arm-geometry would be way off---meaning the roll centers would be all wrong, AND you would have excessive negative camber---too much to "dial-out"! Other car brands (think Corvette, Mustang, & even some Europeans) have aftermarket "dropped-spindles" available that allow the control arms to remain in their proper geometry, while still lowering the car approximately 2". The OEM NSX uprights ("knuckles" for those in Rio Linda)are just complicated enough that it would be a serious challenge to re-design in a "dropped" configuration. Thats why a seriously "slammed" NSX is never going to handle worth a damn (except for mine, of course)!

Hope that "splains" the rationale!

Last edited:
Like I said....

You are the MAN for pullin that cantilever off... Many Props...

I'm still not sure if your clowning me... but whatever...

many things have been done... but you will be the first to do the cani.. and that's one upgrade well worth the time and money. I'd pay to avoid the r&d to implement that one.. i'm gonna guess it's not for sale though... no offence taken if you want to keep that one to yourself...

IMO.. That cantilever sets yourself apart from the crowd more than the LS7 does.

It's my wall paper right now bro.....

Regards

Thank You for the complement!

For those with perspiring minds, my car has horizontally-opposed coilovers (Penskes)---aka "cantilever" design. There are numerous advantages to this concept; the mass of the shocks & springs is much lower C.O.G.---the Penske shocks & Eibach springs are VERY light
(2.25" i.d.)---adjusting ride height & spring rates, shock compression & rebound, is MUCH easier since everything is more accessable---meaning you dont have to remove wheels & tires---OR even move around to 4 corners. Corner-balancing (using scales) is simply a matter of a few turns of a shock spanner-wrench, & if you have the new wireless scales/computer, you dont even need an assistant! NOT so obvious is you can "tweak" actual spring rates without changing springs. The shock "rockers" (fulcrum) can be fabricated in different ratios (just like a roller rocker in an OHV race engine). Also, if you look closely at my build-site, you will notice that I've incorporated 4 different "pushrod" mounting holes into the lower control arms. This facilitates 4 different "ramp angles" (changes the MA, for you engineers)that the lower control arm will transfer loading thru to the shocks (like changing the ratio of the rockers, only simpler). Doing set-up at a new track becomes a lot easier (when experimenting with different springs)---I can change-out all 4 springs in about 15 minutes, & never have to get on the ground!

Now about that ride height---actually you could get any NSX as low as the ARTA car with the conventional suspension or coilovers mounted traditionally at 4 corners----all by simply using a shorter spring! The problem is; the control arm-geometry would be way off---meaning the roll centers would be all wrong, AND you would have excessive negative camber---too much to "dial-out"! Other car brands (think Corvette, Mustang, & even some Europeans) have aftermarket "dropped-spindles" available that allow the control arms to remain in their proper geometry, while still lowering the car approximately 2". The OEM NSX uprights ("knuckles" for those in Rio Linda)are just complicated enough that it would be a serious challenge to re-design in a "dropped" configuration. Thats why a seriously "slammed" NSX is never going to handle worth a damn (except for mine, of course)!

Hope that "splains" the rationale!

Dale,finish this thing already....I want to see some vids of it in motion:cool:

NOBODY wants to see this monster finished more than I do!

I've been toying with the idea of creating a private offering for my "MsBadwrench" clothing / promotions company, which is still in its infancy. It has a unique profit potential---could ultimately be sold to a "giant" (think GM, Hendrick, or even Dale Jr.), AND has a natural cross-promotion fit for anything motorsports related!
With the right amount of capital injection, I could have this thing ready for the big Redline Time Attack @ Buttonwillow in Nov. Pretty sure it will be a record breaker----very unusual front suspension---no other car in the world currently has adopted---should carve up corners even better than all-wheel drive. Stay tuned, & all "Primers" be sure to let me know if you know any "Angels"!

Last edited:
Dale I am looking at those pictures and reading... and wondering... how do you know all this shit??? How do you find all this stuff... like "lizard skin" or get the idea to weld this to that by making a sleeve for this and cutting a hole in that? I'm just amazed.

Dale I am looking at those pictures and reading... and wondering... how do you know all this shit??? How do you find all this stuff... like "lizard skin" or get the idea to weld this to that by making a sleeve for this and cutting a hole in that? I'm just amazed.

I honestly don't know. I have zero formal background or training in anything re engineering or fabrication----I also have no family members who taught me. As far back as age 10, I was cutting up a swing set (with a hacksaw) & laying-out the frame configuration for a go-kart. I spent most of my youth having to build most of my own "stuff" like go-karts, & later on drag cars---mostly because I couldn't afford the "store-bought" stuff. FWIW, I was drag racing before I was old enough to have a driver's license, & enjoyed being the underdog in events---especially when I won.

There is a common theme to the way I approach the design & engineering of anything race-related: I spend a lot of time researching how other's are doing it---ask lots of questions---take lots of pictures in "hot-pits" etc. Also. I think about the end goal from 2 key perspectives; 1. What can fail (probably because I've broken so many parts racing), 2. How can I improve on other's design / methods---can it be made simpler?

Last edited:
Yeah I cannot believe you are not an engineer... this car is a full resume

Back