• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ultimate Hybrid NSX Project

With your reply above, I have to ask what your day job is? or was? I thought for sure you were an engineer or CAD techician.

If not it shows what one can do if he wants to learn.

Thanks for the complement!

The irony is that none of this has ever seemed difficult---it has always been easy for me----the overall concept has gone thru hundreds of revisions though---usually because I do most of my brainstorming late at night, just before sleep, & then I HAVE to get up & sketch or jot notes, because I thought of a better idea / config. / component, or sometimes simply a mod I hadn't originally contemplated!

FWIW, I'm a CFP and Registered Investment Advisor w/my own firm for 24 yrs.

Yeah I don't think your day job was your first calling...

Yeah I don't think your day job was your first calling...

Thanks again,

Actually, I'm VERY good at my "day job" (must be the Virgo in me)---and I enjoy it! I only work with small business owners, and I've focused on acquiring new clients through my racing life. Most of the guys at NASA events with their hi-end Porsches, Vipers, & Vettes (& even my shifter-kart friends) are small business owners! So what better way to build a career than to work with people who love the same things as you!? Most of my clients evolve into personal friends (not the other way around), & I'm blessed to have the lifestyle I enjoy. FWIW, I think of my Financial Planning firm as "the goose that lays the golden eggs" ---& I'm very fortunate that most of the time I've had enough "eggs" to pursue other enterprises that interest me, AND pay for my racing!

Last edited:
This has got to be the craziest NSX Build EVER!!

Holy cow!! I didn't click on the thread b/c I though it was just some kid dreaming about this "pie in the sky" idea. Boy was I wrong!

I didn't click on the thread b/c I though it was just some kid dreaming about this "pie in the sky" idea. Boy was I wrong!

No you were right.... Dale is a big dreamer... this thing will never run... lol...

No you were right.... Dale is a big dreamer... this thing will never run... lol...

Actually, I've designed-in a KERS---connected to pedals like an elliptical excersize machine---I plan to do all initial testing using only this propulsion system, until I achieve an additional weight savings (reduction) of 15lbs. (Me, not the car! lol)---after which I will sell my proprietary KERS to Chip Ganassi (who used to drive race cars)---haha!

Dale, it was good to meet you at the Concorso. Along with the black Batmobile, meeting and talking with you was one of the highlights of my day.

Keep us posted on the project, and bring it to Concorso next year!

Hey Ken, ---thanks for the complement, & I enjoyed meeting you (& the other NSX'rs) as well! Its always fun to see the facial reactions when I first explain what I've done to the car---especially those who aren't really sure what an "LS7" is! I get a kick out of it though, when I'm speaking with someone who is obviously knowledgeable enough to understand the magnitude of the undertaking (like yourself)! Funny we're both jazz musicians (although I'm sure you're way more accomplished than I)!

I'm not sure about next year's schedule with the car---but if there's ANY way I can get it on Laguna Seca for the big week, I will absolutely be there! What's funny about the timing is the NSX will be 20 yrs old next year, which qualifies it for Vintage Racing in some sanctioning bodies!

Maybe if I campaign the car as "The 20th Anniversary NSX", I can get Duncan Dayton's help sneaking it into a run group (He is an avid vintage racer!)

Dale,

thanks for sharing your project with all of us, it looks really good! Is it running on the ground? I'm excited to see how it performs :biggrin:.

Thank's for the complement!----Not running YET, but REAL close to putting it "on the ground".
Need to finish lower half of front suspension, & make some pushrods for all 4 corners----BUT, I've been spending most of my late nights finishing the templates & "plugs" for the fuel cells. I have also re-designed the rear CM subframe slightly (can you believe Version 3.0 since I started?) to accommodate "aero-tunnels" 'ala Porsche 962!!! I got the bug hanging out in the hot pits @ Laguna Seca for the Monterey reunion. Should be significant aero advantage over designs 1 & 2!-----Stay Tuned!

I have also re-designed the rear CM subframe slightly (can you believe Version 3.0 since I started?) to accommodate "aero-tunnels" 'ala Porsche 962!!! I got the bug hanging out in the hot pits @ Laguna Seca for the Monterey reunion. Should be significant aero advantage over designs 1 & 2!-----Stay Tuned!

NEW PICS! --early stage of rear transaxle support & sub-frame "Version 3.0"---to accomodate "aero tunnels"---also a shot of front frame rail after its been sectioned to facilitate radical "droop-snoop" hood line.
NOTE: the K-member gets discarded after new tranny hoop is supported by CM diagonals (represented by the wood dowels in photo)

DSC_0624.jpg

DSC_0613.jpg

DSC_0611.jpg

Last edited:
ummmmmmm I dont know what to say.

WOW. this thing is gonna be a beast.

but still not sure how your gonna get power to the wheels with the new engine location? Maybe I havent read this thread start to finish

Couple more pics that aren't up on my build site yet----Note "carpenter approach" to positioning air-jack cans for weld-up (gotta love all-thread & hot glue!)

DSC_0717.jpg

DSC_0719.jpg

ALSO, "version 3.0" of rear x-member, which is designed to allow aero tunnels to flow along both sides of engine (tucked up along either side of bellhousing adapter plate), & exit out rear diffuser. You can visualize the path if you note the front engine x-member angles up towards frame rails, & represents the "small-end" of the tunnel (actually, the leading edge technically begins at the firewall). This new design also saved about 6 lbs. of weight!

DSC_0787.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the complement!

REPLICATE?---if I counted my man hours at even a modest fab-shop rate, we would be talking about 7 figures!!! haha

Latest News.... I just got all of my suspension pieces back from powdercoating, & can actually begin assembling the suspension.....cant wait to see the car as a roller (although I'm still waiting on a machine shop to finish my R.F. upright...long story about how easy it is for a "worker-bee" to mistake 6061 T6 for 7075 T6 )...oh well! Also just got a batch of driver's compartment pics & dimensions off to ButlerBuilt Seats.....they already measured ME @ PRI show in December!

Stay tuned for some cool powdercoat pics (translucent titanium over near-chrome)

To the OP:
Thank you for making the dreams of many a reality. :)

The NSX was the car I obsessed over throughout my childhood and throughout my education.
When I finally was in a position to buy one, my heart was broken when I actually drove one at the limit due to the lack of torque.

The NSX is still one of the greatest cars on the road.
I am happy to see you are giving it what it desperately needs.

For those that think I am a NSX hater, or a Corvette leg humper, I will say the following:
The C6's I own have poor steering "feel" and the car "feels" larger than it is when compared to the NSX and the 911 Turbo.
I will replace my current daily driven C6 with a GTR when the next body style is released. (R35 is incredibly ugly.)

Great car.
Great site.

PS
I am paranoid about my cars being stolen or wrecked, so I would be afraid to drive such a rare car after investing so much time and money.
With that said, my next project will be somewhat similar, but I will be starting with a Boxster or Cayman because they are so common.
I will be having Renegade Hybrids in Las Vegas do the build for me.
Anyone want to see a LS9 Cayman ?????? :)

Last edited:
Back