• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ultimate Hybrid NSX Project

If you just want to give the NSX more torque then a supercharger or turbo kit will easily give you back what you think you're missing......

I think you'll struggle to fit a V8 into a Boxster or a Cayman as they're very much more limited in space than the NSX is, but I guess if you're going to go to the lengths that Dale has, then there's always a way, but I think Dale was looking to achieve more than just adding torque.

Thanks for the complement!

FYI, I too lusted after the NSX.....had the first magazine photos (before U.S. release) taped to my bathroom mirror, etc, Bought my 91 in 95 with only 4k miles on it!....so I turned it into my daily driver....put a ton of miles on it, didn't modify a thing until my 7 yr / 100,000 mile warranty expired (98), & immediately did the headers, exhaust, suspension, brakes, wheels & tires! Started tracking the car in 99 (AFTER racing shifter karts for 6 years), & decided to build a cage (too many "ricky racers" in the track-day events), to feel more comfortable at speed. I raced the car at many events, & was always frustrated at the lack of "grunt"!......SO, I decided to "FIX" every aspect of the car I felt was inadequate....the list was just a little longer than I had first contemplated......BUT, I was determined to do it right, & not settle for anything less than Daytona Prototype performance!

I would love to see you "shoehorn" an LS9 into a Cayman, but it would leave you with similar engineering challenges (besides fit)! Transmission, clutch, P.P.,flywheel, axles, axle bearings & hub carriers, brakes, clearance for adequate-sized tire & wheel combo, cooling system, chassis stiffness......these are ALL inadequate systems (OEM Cayman) to handle the HP & torque of the LS9!

Good Luck on whatever you pursue!....half the fun is in the "CREATING"!

Dale

PS...I too think the GTR is butt-ugly...you might want to check-out the SLC (Super Light Coupe) offered by Racecar Replicas in MI. (talk to Fran), OR, for a fatter wallet, the new Riley "track-day racer" is pretty cool....but it wouldn't be streetable like the SLC

To the OP:
Thank you for making the dreams of many a reality. :)

The NSX was the car I obsessed over throughout my childhood and throughout my education.
When I finally was in a position to buy one, my heart was broken when I actually drove one at the limit due to the lack of torque.

The NSX is still one of the greatest cars on the road.
I am happy to see you are giving it what it desperately needs.

For those that think I am a NSX hater, or a Corvette leg humper, I will say the following:
The C6's I own have poor steering "feel" and the car "feels" larger than it is when compared to the NSX and the 911 Turbo.
I will replace my current daily driven C6 with a GTR when the next body style is released. (R35 is incredibly ugly.)

Great car.
Great site.

PS
I am paranoid about my cars being stolen or wrecked, so I would be afraid to drive such a rare car after investing so much time and money.
With that said, my next project will be somewhat similar, but I will be starting with a Boxster or Cayman because they are so common.
I will be having Renegade Hybrids in Las Vegas do the build for me.
Anyone want to see a LS9 Cayman ?????? :)

Dale, I wished you lived in my neighborhood. I would come over and hang out in your shop all day just trying to pick up work to do. What a learning experience this whole thing would be.

Offset steering & pedal pics

So I was sharing with Fraser how I solved the helmet-to-cage clearance problems in my car (FYI, I raced the car for years with my helmet rubbing on cage--annoying, to say the least). I moved the seat an additional 1.75" off-OEM position (FYI, OEM location is already 3/4" off-center) TOWARDS the tunnel. Net result is my Cobra Suzuka race seat is now 2.50" off true seat pan center.
May not sound like much, but MAJOR improvement at cage clearance "issue"!

DSC_0903.jpg

DSC_0899.jpg

Also visible in these pics is my mock-up of new steering shaft geometry. I made some "connectors" that emulate the maximum 32 degree Woodward universal joint deflection, & joined them together by using some 3/4" delrin rod & 1" wooden dowel just so I could determine how & where I can route the steering shaft & still clear pedals (& everything else in the way). Note the offset from OEM steering shaft location (center between the 2 nuts in upper foreground).

Now for my MYSTERY COMPONENT!
Seems I've been accused of drilling too many holes?--look at this pic & see if you can count how many seperate machining operations were involved in this creation!....or even what it is!....& yes, it IS part of the racecar!

DSC_0898.jpg

TTFN!

Last edited:
Seems I've been accused of drilling too many holes?--look at this pic & see if you can count how many seperate machining operations were involved in this creation!....or even what it is!....& yes, it IS part of the racecar!

View attachment 75251

TTFN!
That's easy... it's part of your secret Top Secret lower front suspension. Winning! duh. I am curious though, how it will play a role in camber settings while driving.... Has the patent been approved?

But seriously, enough drilling holes and Get 'R' Done.

Last edited:
Offset steering & pedal pics

look at this pic & see if you can count how many seperate machining operations were involved in this creation!....or even what it is!....& yes, it IS part of the racecar!

Is that your in-cabin humidifier?

That's easy... it's part of your secret Top Secret lower front suspension. Winning! duh. I am curious though, how it will play a role in camber settings while driving.... Has the patent been approved?

But seriously, enough drilling holes and Get 'R' Done.

You win the door prize!....it is a PART of front suspension, & it does have something to do with adjustable camber while driving. U.S. Patent office is a serious "cluster-F"....I'm told they are over a year behind on just issuing "patent-pending" status.....SO, I'm just going to identify all components & design "protected by Uncle Guido"! When I get the car on the ground I'll furnish more pics that will better explain functionality.

I am appreciating this build thread very much, both from a determination and level of sheer skill. This may of been asked in the past but why not just build a tube frame custom car, I mean you are pretty much doing that anyway.

Kind of like Adam Saruwatari 1/4 mile NSX monster...

it does have something to do with adjustable camber while driving.

Vewee Vewee interesting!

bb_ecc00.jpg

I am appreciating this build thread very much, both from a determination and level of sheer skill. This may of been asked in the past but why not just build a tube frame custom car, I mean you are pretty much doing that anyway.

Kind of like Adam Saruwatari 1/4 mile NSX monster...

You're right, question has been asked before, but not for a LONG time! See post # 24 for answer

Thanks Dale, that will be helpful for me also as we're in the process of doing the same thing as you mention !

My pedals will be here on Tuesday next week fingers crossed so we can get started.

Here's a trick that's not obvious from the pics. In a particularly tight space you can cut-off 2 u-joints right at the shoulder line that seperates the "wing end" from the "splined bore end". These 2 shortened joints can then be Tig welded together, which results in a very short "CV-style" joint. On my Woodward joints, I was able to cut 3/4" off each joint, for a total reduction in length of 1.5"
There is NO functional downside to this technique, and it solved a BIG problem I was scratching my head over....just be sure to keep the 2 joints properly "phased" to each other!

Here's a pic of "dummy" short-joint....notice the 2 steel elbows have un-equal length "legs"...the 2 shorter legs butt to each other (not welded), & represent the true ctr.-to-ctr. dimension, measured from welded joint to welded joint. Every place you see no weld, there is a dowel, press-fit inside, so the "attached" elbows can be rotated, but hold their position steady

DSC_0897.jpg

Hope this makes sense!

Last edited:
Hey Dale,

Can you tell me the exact model of Woodward column you bought for your build ?? I had a good long chat with them and they ended up convincing me they had nothing that was suitable that they would feel comfortable selling me !!

Hey Fraser, Tony is a brilliant engineer, but does lack the imagination necessary to solve problems that are "outside of the box".....still, I have to credit him with educating me on all of the design considerations in a total steering system! Also, he is VERY carefull to NOT suggest any modification or application that doesn't specifically fall into a category of race car they support. You can thank the fact that Bill Simpson was sued out of business after Dale Earnhardt's death because someone HAS to be at fault!

I ordered part # SCA827B-1375-SL15 with a QRA-2 quick release. That # designates a 13.75" long torque tube, & a 15" sliding shaft. The overall length is 25.5", which is too long for my application, so I will be cutting 2" off both the torque tube & sliding shaft, to result in O.A. length of 23.5", and a compromise 7" collapsability (instead of 9").

See diagrams on page 4 in this link:

http://www.woodwardsteering.com/images/safety%20steering%20columns.pdf

FYI, I haven't received my column yet....several of the misc components were in different stages of manufacture when I ordered

OK cool thanks Dale.

That was what I was looking at also but he convinced me out of it...... I guessed partly that it might be due to the risk of essentially giving it the OK as a solution.......

We may or may not go down the track of using one as we've already started making our own once we thought they couldn't help, but I'll have a look again and see......... thanks

Newly Added!

Ballistic Recovery System canisters, front & rear, along with structural re-inforcement for lead ballast. Anticipating an all-out LSR attempt @ Bonneville this coming winter! (or maybe not?)

DSC_0888.jpg

DSC_0891.jpg

Side view of BRS canisters with car mounted on "test sled"

DSC_0905.jpg

Last edited:
This is just more shit I don't recognize... what is a ballistic recovery cannister? Sounds like something that belongs on a Howitzer...

Parachute deployment?!! What the....

I'm starting to think this whole thread is a gag, and Dale is trying to see how long he can keep it all going. He takes some pictures of a bunch of aluminum parts with various cuts and holes and thingamajigs attached to them, calls it some strange name as he is laughing at all of us, posts pictures, then sells it to us as an NSX project.

Last edited:
Parachute deployment?!! What the....

I'm starting to think this whole thread is a gag, and Dale is trying to see how long he can keep it all going. He takes some pictures of a bunch of aluminum parts with various cuts and holes and thingamajigs attached to them, calls it some strange name as he is laughing at all of us, posts pictures, then sells it to us as an NSX project.
lol, but to get back to the Ballistic Recovery System... ie Parachute system....

Here is a picture of Dale testing out his Parachute(s)
RMchute_joe.gif

The holes are for vials, which are shaken by the jig. It's a portable DNA testing setup.

You plan on spending your nights cruising around town in your NSX, solving crimes.

Don't. This town doesn't need two people doing that, and let's just say that gig is taken.

Back