• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Odyssey Battery

Its about time for a new battery. I have only had the car for a couple months, but the original battery about five years old is in the car. I have no idea how the first two owners treated the battery. The car was dead this morning after sitting for less than a week. Through using the search function, I already have a battery tender and am heavily leaning towards an Odyssey battery. I've had a few Optimas without much luck. I don't care a lot about the weight, so I don't necessarily need a light weight racing battery, although the Braille batteries do look good. So, which Odyssey battery with install the easiest? Pretty much "plug and play." I know I can get mount for the smaller batteries but which one fits in the OEM location the best.

Thanks,
Kenny

I installed the Odyssey 925 battery back in April 08. I had to put the Acura OEM battery back in last week, as the Odyssey wouldn't keep enough charge to start the car after a few days of no useage. Maybe it's just my bad luck.

Last edited:
I am on my second Odyssey 680 battery, the first one last about 2 years 10 months. The Odyssey have a 2 year warranty for auto use. I have to keep a battery tender on it when parked in my garage for more than 2 days. So far I am very happy with it and best of all it only weighs 14lbs.

I installed the Odyssey 925 battery back in April 08. I had to put the Acura OEM battery back in last week, as the Odyssey wouldn't keep enough charge to start the car after a few days of no useage. Maybe it's just my bad luck.
Just did the same thing myself. The Odysseys are nice and all, but there's too much hassle when you drive the car some days and not others.

Someone who consistently drives their NSX six days a week would be okay. Five, maybe. But if you're like me and don't always to go out on weekends, and sometimes don't drive it on a Friday or Monday, it's a headache.

I use the 1200 with reverse terminals (what they had) but I think the normal terminal would be better. I really like the way I can just screw my amp power cable to the top of the terminal. A very easy install with the factory hold down but don't over tighten it or you will bend the crossbar.

I am getting a PC680 next week.
Can anyone that put one of these batteries in tell me if I need a special battery hold down kit to install it?
thanks!

We purchased the companion aluminum hold down system with our PC680MJT battery, and it works great.

Brian

Last edited:
We purchased the companion aluminum hold down system with our PC680MJT battery, and it works great.

Brian

I have one of those, too. The annoying thing is, it doesn't come with the mounting bolts. Took me a while to figure out to go to a real bolt store and get more bolts (and washers and nuts) similar to the ones they do include.

I too had issues with the Odyssey battery holding a charge as I don't drive my NSX too often. I have an Optima red top from Costco so exchange is easy if you have any issues. I've had an Optima now for 4 years or so. Definitely hardwire a battery tender.

Jeff

I have one of those, too. The annoying thing is, it doesn't come with the mounting bolts. Took me a while to figure out to go to a real bolt store and get more bolts (and washers and nuts) similar to the ones they do include.
After a bit of effort finding proper flat spots to drill through, I was actually able to use the existing post bolts to secure the battery mount to the car.
I didn't take pictures of the process, but it took a bit of time to find a workable location (flat plate to drill through + still close enough to use the existing battery cables) but it came out great.
I marked the location of the 2 bolts and drilled the holes from above, then slid under the car and snaked the bolts up through the holes and into the cast base.
After snugging it down, the battery and top plate mounted with little fuss.

Brian

After a bit of effort finding proper flat spots to drill through, I was actually able to use the existing post bolts to secure the battery mount to the car.
I didn't take pictures of the process, but it took a bit of time to find a workable location (flat plate to drill through + still close enough to use the existing battery cables) but it came out great.
I marked the location of the 2 bolts and drilled the holes from above, then slid under the car and snaked the bolts up through the holes and into the cast base.
After snugging it down, the battery and top plate mounted with little fuss.

Brian

Interesting -- don't suppose you have a picture? :smile: (I bought all the bolts, but still haven't installed mine.)

Been using Odyssey batteries since 1995 (PC-925T) and am very happy with them... even use one with my house's standby electric generator. PC-925T is smaller and lighter than the stock NSX battery.

I made a simple wooden "shim" that fits the top/leading edge of the battery so that I could use the stock battery mount -- works great, have done many track events.

Stock-size Odyssey would be PC1400/35.

I do leave the car plugged into a float (NOT trickle) charger when the car isn't going to be driven for several weeks. Not required, but will enhance the life of an Odyssey (or any battery for that matter).

Last edited:
I have the 680 and like it. There is one thing to remember though. If you buy an Odyssey battery get an Odyssey charger. The 680 has a higher voltage than a regular lead acid battery. If you use a lead acid battery charger on the Odyssey battery is will only charge it to a nominal voltage. Over a period of time the battery will develop a "memory" and only charge to that voltage. Odyssey's chargers are designed to charge the batteries to a full 14.4vdc capacity. As long as you do that, they will last a long time. I know MIT has many of the 680's in some of their electric vehicles. those charge-cycle 1000's of times.

I have the Dali mount and this is the charger you should have.

Last edited:
Back from the dead thread.

Is anyone still making a mount for the 925? My Optima Yellow Top is still going strong and the stock battery hold down works just fine with it but I know the battery isn't gonna last forever and apparently the new Yellow Tops aren't what they used to be so I'm keeping my eyes open for other options.

Back