• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Texting While Driving- Public Service Announcement

This is a new public service announcement out of England. It is part of a campaign to curb teen texting while driving. Hopefully, it will save some lives around the world.
WARNING: Some scenes are graphic.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DGE8LzRaySk&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DGE8LzRaySk&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited:
Very good video. I just can not understand why using mobiles whilst driving is not illegal in America.
Now that it is in the UK I see more and more idiots driving whilst on there phone or texting.
It's not rocket science, pull over and talk or get a hands free.

Sharon

( hello from the UK, new to NSX's )

Interesting this came for the UK.
I spent a month there this summer and didn't see anyone using a cell phone while driving. They don't seem to have a problem with this in any comparable way with North America where every second or third driver has a cell phone up against their head.
If using a phone is the cause of an acident the penalty should be same as drinking and driving. Same result, people die. and you the driver, are impared!

I spent a month there this summer and didn't see anyone using a cell phone while driving. They don't seem to have a problem with this in any comparable way with North America where every second or third driver has a cell phone up against their head.
If using a phone is the cause of an acident the penalty should be same as drinking and driving. Same result, people die. and you the driver, are impared!

I believe it's against the law in the UK to use a cell phone while driving. Hands free device is probably OK though.

it seems to me that the accidents dont occur while people are on the phone, but rather when theyre dialing or texting.

on another note, wasnt there a study that showed that it didnt make a difference whether the driver had a phone to their head or on a handsfree? i think it said something along the lines of 'being on the phone takes focus away from the the road however youre doing it'...

From what I read, this PSA was targeting teen drivers. Did you see much teen drivers when you were in the UK this past Summer?

In my area, I see more people using non-hands-free device now than before it was illegal (beginning of Jan 2009, I think). The months right before the hands-free law kicked in, people were actually using hands-free devices. Now, they revert back to their old ways.:confused:

I just can not understand why using mobiles whilst driving is not illegal in America.

It's not rocket science, pull over and talk or get a hands free.

Sharon

( hello from the UK, new to NSX's )
Sharon,
Welcome to Prime.
The ones that annoy me the most are the ones on their conference call during rush hour. Speeding up and slowing down for no apparent reason other than paying attention to the con call and not to the traffic. Then at the last minutes, they have to stop traffic to make a right turn from the left hand lane of a 3 lane road. Naturally, the cars in the 2 right lanes stomped on their brakes so these idiots can make their last minute turns. Those you describe (in general) have no road etiquette. I would love to see the police start to enforce the hands-free device law instead of enforcing no front license plates; which has never cause an accident as I recall.

They did an excellent job creating that, even the background music was fitting. I don't see America putting that kind of money or effort into a commercial.:frown: Hell they should just air that one on american TV.

It's removed.:confused:

There's controversy over it. Some people are saying it's too harsh etc. etc...

Just google search texting while driving psa

you'll get tons of hits.

Here you go :biggrin:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DGE8LzRaySk&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DGE8LzRaySk&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Here you go :biggrin:

Horrible!

I think it's great, a little long, but very powerful. I can see why people might be a little shocked at the video, but in my opinion, people need to stop being so sensitive.

There's controversy over it. Some people are saying it's too harsh etc. etc...

Just google search texting while driving psa

you'll get tons of hits.
I don't get it!:confused: We want to teach our young adults the dangers of driving/texting yet, lets not make it to realistic because they might actually get something out of it. It's one of the most powerful public service ad's I've seen, period. I think it should be shown worldwide on public TV.

Last edited:
I don't get it!:confused: We want to teach our young adults the dangers of driving/texting yet, lets not make it to realistic because they might actually get something out of it. It's one of the best public service ad's I've seen, period. I think it should be shown worldwide on public TV.

I hear ya... def not arguing w/ it... imo I think that we try too hard to coddle youth... to the point that when something significant does happen, they don't know how to handle it.

this video is put together quite well. However I honestly don't think it'll change many people's mind on their perception of texting while driving. :rolleyes:

The truth is, as graphic and real as it seems, sadly it will only get through to a percentage of young adults. When I was their age, I too new everything there was to know.:rolleyes:

The truth is, as graphic and real as it seems, sadly it will only get through to a percentage of young adults. When I was their age, I too new everything there was to know.:rolleyes:

Yes, we were are young once, and we knew everything when we were in high school.:cool: In college, we were not sure how much we know.:rolleyes: As we age, we realized how much we don't know.:eek:

Most teenager and young adults tends to think they are invincible or immortal at that age. I did say most, not all; there are exceptions. Hence the Darwinism Award was created.:wink:

Back