• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

XM Radio on Kenwood DNX8120?

I have a Kenwood DNX8120 HU installed in my NSX and now I want to install an XM Radio to it. First of all I know nothing about XM Radio. My sister currently has XM radio and I will most likely piggy back off her account. I know that the 8120 is XM radio ready....so what exactly does that mean "XM radio ready"? I know that they (Kenwood) makes an interface for the 8120 featured here >>>> http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_12311_Kenwood+KCA-XM100V.html. So my question is, do I need anything else other than this interface to get XM radio? I also have 3 other cars I would like to add XM radio to. So what is my best option to achieve this (getting one XM radio unit to work with my 8120 and my 3 other cars)? I'm sure some of you audiophiles here have some kind of suggestion.

you need the KCA-XM100V and the CNP2000 XM Mini-Tuner.

you wont find an elegant solution for all 3 vehicles, only the ugly dash mount removable ones. do it the right way.

please don't shop at that place btw. even if you dont support a local shop buy from a reputable online business.

ryan

Last edited:
I have an XM account and I run 3 radios from there. You do get a reduced rate for subsequent radios and you can find all about it at xm.com. With the account, you can listen from your computer as well.
I do not know about the units mentioned above but I've been meaning to post my setup. I installed the smallest unit available by removing the ash tray and putting it in there. I had to cut a bit to get it in there and lose the lighter as well, but I still have the ash tray door in place and I can close it and its all very stealthy. I was also able to power the unit from the lighter wire too. I mounted the XM antenna on the dash over by the passenger A pillar. It is suggested the antennas to be placed at the highest point on the car for optimal reception but I have found that waht I have works fine with an occasional "blocked" signal but its not too often this happens and it is a brief loss of signal. If anyone is interested in my setup let me know and I'll get it posted this weekend.
-Robert

You just buy that unit, plug it in and hide the unit. You will be able to access the XM via the icon in the sources and it will work just like you want. See instructions or installing here.

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

you need the KCA-XM100V and the CNP2000 XM Mini-Tuner.

you wont find an elegant solution for all 3 vehicles, only the ugly dash mount removable ones. do it the right way.

please don't shop at that place btw. even if you dont support a local shop buy from a reputable online business.

ryan

I was under the impression that the KCA-XM100V is the only interface unit I need for my DNX8120 to get XM radio. The CNP2000 XM Mini-Tuner....is that a turner unit that is also needed to work with my DNX8120 or is this a universal turner unit that will work with my other 3 cars without a XM radio ready HU? Please clarify, thanks.

i've installed about 10 of these. you need both parts. the kenwood part is basically just an adapter to control the mini-tuner.

yes you can use the mini-tuner in different vehicles but you would have to mount the kenwood box as well as any other vehicle kits in an accessible spot to be able to unplug the mini-tuner.

ryan

I was under the impression that the KCA-XM100V is the only interface unit I need for my DNX8120 to get XM radio. The CNP2000 XM Mini-Tuner....is that a turner unit that is also needed to work with my DNX8120 or is this a universal turner unit that will work with my other 3 cars without a XM radio ready HU? Please clarify, thanks.

I stand corrected. Haven't installed one on a Kenwood for a while, it used to just be one unit you would buy but now it looks like it's 2 pieces.

Back