• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How tall is too tall to own an NSX?

My name is Garner - I have been in love with NSX's ever since I drove my first when I was 14 (I later found out that it was Harrison Ford's who had asked my Father's colleague to sell it for him). However, I didn't stop growing at 14 and ended up 6'7". I am finally in a position to begin my search for my own and I am wondering if I am going to be fighting a losing battle? Any suggestions?

There is no height limit for OWNING an NSX, however, if it is your desire to DRIVE one I am sorry to report that at 6'7" you have probably outgrown it. I am only 6'2" but with fairly short legs. I have the seat all of the way back and all of the way inclined and cannot sit truly upright without brushing the roof liner. Unless you have very long legs and a disproportionately short torso...you are out of luck IMHO.
My best advice is to post your location and find someone willing to let you do a trial fit in theirs. I am in VA if that helps.

Last edited:
My name is Garner - I have been in love with NSX's ever since I drove my first when I was 14 (I later found out that it was Harrison Ford's who had asked my Father's colleague to sell it for him). However, I didn't stop growing at 14 and ended up 6'7". I am finally in a position to begin my search for my own and I am wondering if I am going to be fighting a losing battle? Any suggestions?

Welcome.As a first time user of prime you should get to know the search function. There are many good threads on height restrictions and peoples solutions.I'll start you off....http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117768&highlight=tall

it really depends on long your torso are.

Best advice is for you to sit in one.

I am 6'2" and I had only about a finger of gap from the headliner. I recently got an aftermarket steering wheels with a spacer that pushes the wheel further out so I can recline the seat a little more to get additional headroom.

I will probably get a upholster shop to take some foam off the cushion. There are a lot of options to cram tall people in the nsx. :)

Like docjohn said, use the search. Plug in "head room", "headroom", and "tall" in the new & prospective owner's forum search & you will get many hits.

I think you're probably out of luck. I'm 6ft 5in tall, and pretty evenly proportioned and my hair is brushing against the roof & I unknowningly cock my head to the right to get more space which results in left sided neck pain. Unless you have giraffe legs & a pygmy torso I don't think it will work. Leg room may also be a problem for you.

El searcho for dummies (see post #6. Note: you don't need to fill in a user name, but it sure helps narrow things down if you know or think you know who posted what you're after).

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90878&highlight=search

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips on searching. I think I have a pretty good idea of where I stand. I do have a short torso and long legs (inseam =37 inches). I am going to arrange to sit in one that is for sale here in Salt Lake. I am crossing my fingers . . . otherwise I have no idea what I will get! I have had my eyes on an NSX for some time now.

Also buy a coupe instead of a targa... it will give you slightly more head room above the headrest..... I'm 6'4" and have to have the bottom of the seat pushed forward and the back of the seat leaned all the way back... it works pretty well. When ever I get around to recovering my seats, I'll also trim a few inches from the bottom seat cushion. Don't let your height stop you from at least sitting in or driving one! See how it feels. :cool:

You may have to deep six the factory seat and mount a race seat to the floor.
Dont give up if this is the car you want.
Or if that doesnt work take the seat out entirely and have a Formula car race car shop "pour" you a beaded seat.
Talk about a custom fit. You and Ayrton Senna will have something else in common besides a love for the NSX.

There are options... I'm about 6'1 and fit okay, but 6 more inches... maybe if it was all legs.

You can try sitting in one....

If you only drive it on nice days, you can go with the NSX-T . It is my understanding with the roof on there is less headroom, buy you could always drive it with the targa off :smile:

You could be like Tom Selleck (Magnum PI). He always drove Master Robbin's F 308 with the targa off, since he was too tall for the car.

Your best bet is to sit in one and see how you fit. Like somebody posted here, they can customize the seats, to where you can gain some extra room.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I never had this issue. I'm one of the short people.:eek:

I am facing the same situation. I am 6' 1" with a 34 inseam / 36" waist and weigh in at 205 lbs. I have sat in two NSX-T so far with the T in place and from what I can tell I have about one inch of clearance above my head. My current car is and S2000 which I have had for a little over 7 years. For the first three I sat in the stock seat. I noticed the same visiblilty issue out the front window of the NSX that I had with my S. I was looking out from the top two inches of the windshield. I replaced the seat with a Mugen S1R and rails and have not regretted it. My eyes were now located more near the center. I did a little researching here and found this same seat will fit the NSX. I would need to buy a differnt rail though:-(

Last edited:
Buy it. Just buy a targa. Others would say coupe has more room but top off is plenty of room. You fit. Im 6'6" or so and i fit, just need to fix seat. I pulled off the entire seat cushion and fit perfectly. If you dont mind taking out the cushion buy it. I just need to get a shop to take stock seat cushion and cut it basically flat so my cushion isnt a black shirt anymore

You'll need to suffer a bit, but nothing worse than coach air travel. The seat cushion will need to come out. I replaced my cushion with just the leather cover from the cushion and it is marginally better than sitting in the aluminum seat pan. 1 hour drive time max for me.

You'll need to suffer a bit, but nothing worse than coach air travel. The seat cushion will need to come out. I replaced my cushion with just the leather cover from the cushion and it is marginally better than sitting in the aluminum seat pan. 1 hour drive time max for me.

Its all about sitting on the aliminum pan lol. It gives you more bolster than a racing seat. Just throw down a black shirt and you'll be ok

I will add one more issue, foot size. While nowhere near 6', I do possess size 11 feet, and when wearing my work boots they touch the underside of the trim panel. I would think anybody with feet greater than size 12 or 13 might have a bit of trouble. Of course one can remove the trim panel but the footwell is not very large.

If you don't get a chance to try out the fit, (or don't like it) there are several fellas in Houston that can hook you up with a fitting. Several have custom seats to give you a feel for the fit.

Miner

If you remove the whole cushion there are 1/2" thick memory foam sheets
that can be placed on the seat pan.
As far as shoe size I love to drive bare foot or in socks. Regular shoes fit quite well with my 11.5's. There are driving moccasins but I prefer the connectedness that bare feet give. Sounds funky I know.
Yaba Daba Do !

NSX's are a limo compared to Formula cars and the worst production cars for tall people; Lotus's. Dont know why these English cars are so small.

Last edited:
yeah, but they also have a $600,000 price tag to go with it...

Tall men earn more than their vertically challenged colleagues, research shows.

An extra couple of inches in height can be worth hundreds of pounds in annual income.

But stature made less of a difference in determining how well women were rewarded for their work, according to the study.

article-1184250-04FE6CBB000005DC-529_468x537.jpg

A six-foot tall man could earn about £470 a year more than a man who is 5ft 10in

A 6ft tall man can expect 1.5 per cent more than a workmate who is 5ft 10in. However, female workers would need an advantage of 4in to get a similar boost in earnings over colleagues.

The findings were made by the University of Sydney and the Australian National University in Canberra. Researchers compared the pay of 20,000 Australians with data such as height and weight.

One of the study's authors, ANU economist Andrew Leigh, said the extra 2in (5cm) meant a 'substantial increase' in earning power.

He said: 'We found that taller people earn more, with the effect being strongest for men. For example, the average man in our sample is 5ft 10in tall.
'Our estimates suggest that if he were 6ft tall, he would earn another 1.5 per cent, or around $950 per year.

'The wage gain from another 2in is approximately equal to one more year of labour market experience. However, we found that the effect of height on women's wages was smaller than for men, and not statistically significant.'

Size could be an advantage in some jobs, the researchers said. 'For example, a taller shop assistant may be able to reach a top shelf without a ladder, while a slimmer construction worker may be able to move around the building site more rapidly,' they added.

Prof Leigh said more research was needed to discover why being tall was an advantage.

He said: 'Perhaps this has to do with status - having greater respect for taller people that might be inadvertently leading to higher wages. Perhaps it is because of discrimination - shorter people getting the same treatment in the labour market as women and minorities have experienced in the past.'

Well I am 6'5" and have a rough time fitting into an NSX. Even with Low Max seats or a thinner seat cushion it'll still be a tight squeeze for me. I'm not sure how 2 more inches would fit...not too well I imagine :frown:

if you are that tall a seat replacement is the only logical option. the car itself has plenty of space and the steering wheel adjusts enaugh.

Back