• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Zaino Z-PC: If you have swirl marks - look no further....

Alright, I just tried using ZAINO, and it almost looks worse. :(. The good news is that to the touch, my paint feels fantastic, but I'm guessing this is mostly from the claybar, which I have a lot of experience using. Maybe I did something wrong? I used ZPC and Z5. ZPC worked well, cleaned a lot of things up, but it was a total pain in the arse to remove once applied. Z5 was even worse to remove, and at this moment, is sitting because I am too frustrated with it.

Process:
Dawn wash
claybar
Zaino PC - 2+hours
Z5 - 3+ hours

The results: I have streaks everywhere, and its greasy/streaky looking. I used less than 1/10 of each bottle. What went wrong? No idea. But it seems like the Z5 just doesn't want to come off. I let it sit for 3 hours prior to removal, and low and behold, its still on there. Everything looks hazy. Sigh. Today was not satisfying. Burnt an entire saturday 10 am to 5 pm to end up with a streaky car.

My notes: I've noticed that using really sparring amounts of Z5 seemed to make it impossible to let it glide across the car surface. There simply isn't enough "juice". It seems like the cotton pad just scratches it more than the Z5 is able to help it along. So, to counter this, I probably up'd the usage of it too much, leaving me with a super thick heavy coat of it, which will have to wait until morning to be removed. Any suggestions on cleaning it up?

Honestly my results with meguiars standard gold class wax seemed far superior to this stuff. I gotta be doing something wrong based on the results that everyone else seems to be getting.

Stevey629, what did you use for lube for the claybar? Also, what did you use to apply the the ZPC?

From what I've read, the Z-PC isn't much worse than Menzerna or other polishes so I don't think it's the problem so much as the application. I did have the same bad experience you had with Z5 though, I hate that stuff. It seems better suited for bad paint than something smooth just after a polish.

I love the Zaino, have been using it for years with all of my NSXes. For those of you with red cars, there is nothing that I have found that makes a red NSX look better than Zaino. Just remember that the early red cars have a tinted clear coat and buffing should be avoided at all costs, just keep it clean and protected with lots of Zaino. If you have to use Z-PC stay off the body lines or you will have an orange NSX instead of red.

Dave

I dont have a PC, as I have always done my detailing by hand. I have a red NSX that has its fair share of swirl marks. DDozier, are you saying that I shouldnt use the Z-PC on my red nsx? If not, then what Zaino products do you recommend? Lastly, what do you mean by "stay off the body lines"?

Thanks,
Nathan

I dont have a PC, as I have always done my detailing by hand. I have a red NSX that has its fair share of swirl marks. DDozier, are you saying that I shouldnt use the Z-PC on my red nsx? If not, then what Zaino products do you recommend? Lastly, what do you mean by "stay off the body lines"?

Thanks,
Nathan

get a Porter Cable. Your NSX and other future cars will love you for it.

I've used Z-PC on my brother's red Outback with flooring results.....

get a Porter Cable. Your NSX and other future cars will love you for it.

I've used Z-PC on my brother's red Outback with flooring results.....

I guess the problem that I have with getting a PC, is that I really have no friggin clue as to how to use it. I know there are youtube videos out there, but the one thing they cant show you is how much pressure you need to use for various products or applications. So, the last thing I would want to do is destroy the paint/clear on my car.

But, if Zaino is simple enough to apply with a PC to where I dont need to apply pressure, then yes I may treat myself to a little xmas gift.

I guess the problem that I have with getting a PC, is that I really have no friggin clue as to how to use it. I know there are youtube videos out there, but the one thing they cant show you is how much pressure you need to use for various products or applications. So, the last thing I would want to do is destroy the paint/clear on my car.

But, if Zaino is simple enough to apply with a PC to where I dont need to apply pressure, then yes I may treat myself to a little xmas gift.

The weight of the machine is suffice. The way the Z-PC works is that it starts off with a larger grain and as it's being worked it starts to break down.

In other words it will automatically start to buff it out.

Is Z2 any better? I just ordered that, hoping that it will work better than Z5. I did NOT use ZFX my first time around, and I read that it helps a lot with cure times and flexibility of the polish.

And as far as ZPC goes, it doesn't seem to take the clear down that much. I had a pretty firm hand with it, yet it didn't seem to take down some of the scratches. They're definitely still there. Maybe I just added more scratches.

Claybar usage:
I used mothers brand, which has a cinnamon scented quick detailer that you're supposed to use as the lube for the claybar. After claybaring the car, it looked great, and felt great.

Last edited:
Is Z2 any better? I just ordered that, hoping that it will work better than Z5. Just keeping my hopes up. And as far as ZPC goes, it doesn't seem to take the clear down that much, so I wouldn't worry too bad. I had a pretty firm hand with it, but it didn't seem to destroy the clear. Its definitely still there. I am hoping Z2 will work better. I didn't use ZFX though, so I ordered that as well. I read that this seems to help with making the polish more flexible for both application and removal.

Lube with the claybar, I used the detail spray that came with it. I used mothers clay, which has a cinnamon scented quick detailer that you're supposed to use with it. After claybaring the car, it looked great. Same with ZPC. The Z5 was the killer. :(

Can you re type this and make more sense?

Also, pics would help....

Alright, I just tried using ZAINO, and it almost looks worse. :(. The good news is that to the touch, my paint feels fantastic, but I'm guessing this is mostly from the claybar, which I have a lot of experience using. Maybe I did something wrong? I used ZPC and Z5. ZPC worked well, cleaned a lot of things up, but it was a total pain in the arse to remove once applied. Z5 was even worse to remove, and at this moment, is sitting because I am too frustrated with it.

Process:
Dawn wash
claybar
Zaino PC - 2+hours
Z5 - 3+ hours

The results: I have streaks everywhere, and its greasy/streaky looking. I used less than 1/10 of each bottle. What went wrong? No idea. But it seems like the Z5 just doesn't want to come off. I let it sit for 3 hours prior to removal, and low and behold, its still on there. Everything looks hazy. Sigh. Today was not satisfying. Burnt an entire saturday 10 am to 5 pm to end up with a streaky car.

My notes: I've noticed that using really sparring amounts of Z5 seemed to make it impossible to let it glide across the car surface. There simply isn't enough "juice". It seems like the cotton pad just scratches it more than the Z5 is able to help it along. So, to counter this, I probably up'd the usage of it too much, leaving me with a super thick heavy coat of it, which will have to wait until morning to be removed. Any suggestions on cleaning it up?

Honestly my results with meguiars standard gold class wax seemed far superior to this stuff. I gotta be doing something wrong based on the results that everyone else seems to be getting.

I stumbled across this post while searching for Zaino Reviews, hope you don't mind if I stick in my $.02. I am a Zaino distributor and Detail Shop owner in Los Gatos, CA. Don't know the rules for mentioning this, so I will leave it at that.

Steve,
For Z-PC, you must work it until it disappears. It is what they call a staged abrasive. It starts out as large chunks(relatively speaking) these reduce the swirls, as you work the product it breaks down and begins to polish the surface, removing any other small imperfections. As it breaks down to its final form, it should be a very fine, almost gone powder.
based on your description you did not take it far enough. There should be very little product to wipe off.
Doing Z-PC by hand can be a little more difficult, so I always recommend using an Orbital with it, or any other abrasive.

If your cotton pad is scratching the surface with just a little Zaino on it, get rid of the pad(s). I have yet to have a 100% cotton, or quality microfiber applicator scratch. As a tip, moisten the applicator, with a little Z-6, or water. Don't soak it, just slightly moist, and it will help spread the product.
For your Z-5 application, you are putting it on way too thick. Zaino should be applied so the coats are barely visible, as you started doing. The thinner the better. Again with a good quality applicator, you wil have enough "juice." You should be able to do three coats on your car with less than 1 oz of Z-5, or Z-2. With a nickel sized drop you should come very close to doing 2/3rds of your hood.
If you have to ask yourself - "Did I cover that area with Z-5?" you applied it correctly, if you can see a film/haze all over the car, it is on way too thick and will be difficult to get off, as you experienced.
I have subscribed to this thread, so if anyone else has any questions I would be glad to answer them.

I stumbled across this post while searching for Zaino Reviews, hope you don't mind if I stick in my $.02. I am a Zaino distributor and Detail Shop owner in Los Gatos, CA. Don't know the rules for mentioning this, so I will leave it at that.

Steve,
For Z-PC, you must work it until it disappears. It is what they call a staged abrasive. It starts out as large chunks(relatively speaking) these reduce the swirls, as you work the product it breaks down and begins to polish the surface, removing any other small imperfections. As it breaks down to its final form, it should be a very fine, almost gone powder.
based on your description you did not take it far enough. There should be very little product to wipe off.
Doing Z-PC by hand can be a little more difficult, so I always recommend using an Orbital with it, or any other abrasive.

If your cotton pad is scratching the surface with just a little Zaino on it, get rid of the pad(s). I have yet to have a 100% cotton, or quality microfiber applicator scratch. As a tip, moisten the applicator, with a little Z-6, or water. Don't soak it, just slightly moist, and it will help spread the product.
For your Z-5 application, you are putting it on way too thick. Zaino should be applied so the coats are barely visible, as you started doing. The thinner the better. Again with a good quality applicator, you wil have enough "juice." You should be able to do three coats on your car with less than 1 oz of Z-5, or Z-2. With a nickel sized drop you should come very close to doing 2/3rds of your hood.
If you have to ask yourself - "Did I cover that area with Z-5?" you applied it correctly, if you can see a film/haze all over the car, it is on way too thick and will be difficult to get off, as you experienced.
I have subscribed to this thread, so if anyone else has any questions I would be glad to answer them.

SJzaino.com is where I get my supplies.

bathanger4.jpg

I have a red NSX that has its fair share of swirl marks. DDozier, are you saying that I shouldnt use the Z-PC on my red nsx? If not, then what Zaino products do you recommend? Lastly, what do you mean by "stay off the body lines"?

Thanks,
Nathan

The early year cars 1991 to 1999 with "Formula Red" paint have a tinted clear coat, the base color on the car has an orange tint and the clear has a blue tint making a deep red. In 2000 the color "New Formula Red" was released and the base color was changed to a more traditional red and the clear was really a clear.

The main problem with the "Formula Red" paint is as the clear is worn away the car becomes more orange than deep red. Once the clear is worn away there is no fix for the issue other than to reclear the car with the correct tinted clear.

I have had both red colors and they require different steps to make look there best. The older cars should not be buffed with abrasives unless you have no other choice. The "New Formula Red" can be treated like any other base coat clear coat system to maintain the paint.

"stay off the body lines" means any part of the car that is not a flat surface you should do by hand and not use a buffer and a DA should be used only as a last resort. The raised sharper edges on the non-flat surfaces will cut faster with the buffer and will go though the clear very fast. With the tinited clear system used in the "Formula Red" these areas will show more of the orange color of the base than the rest of the car.

Done properly the Zaino system will make the "Formula Red" cars look like a deep wet red surface, Since I have sold my 92 Red NSX the current owner has followed up with the Zaino and the cars still looks ammazing. On my new '04 "New Formula Red" NSX Zaino made the car look great but there is a difference and I can only attribute the difference to the tinted clear system of the older paint formula.

Oh, one other thing on Sebring Silver and Merc Iridium Silver Zaino made the cars shine well and taking care of the cars was simple, but I was not as blown away with the end results as I have been when applied to just about any other color. I have put Zaino on Reds, blues, yellows, blacks, and Silvers.

Dave

Family_Reunion.JPG

Last edited:
Ok, Good news is that I've learned. I think the biggest improvement for me was to just keep telling myself....go light, go light. Less is more. Since my recent doozy with Z5, I've since bought a few more things from Zaino to see if I could get better results. I got Z2, ZFX, and some borderfree towels. My results were MUCH MUCH better. Going lighter, using ZFX to limit my overuse, and a proper buffing towel all added up to a much much deeper and cleaner shine. And just in case, I got some Z6 to help clean up residue in case I screw it up again. Now, if I could just figure out how to use ZPC effectively, I think I'd be set. I agree that the use of an orbital buffer is probably the way to go with ZPC. I am just really scared of screwing it up. I really dont know what I'm doing with a buffer, and using zpc seemed to almost add scratches, although this could just be my eyes playing tricks on me. So I've avoided it all together for now until I can either get someone to teach me how to use a buffer, or maybe get some practice on a cheaper car.

But overall, the shine on my black NSX is much better now. Z2 works wonders.

Now, if I could only get my car to shine like the one in Batmans post. Holy GORGEOUS. Absolutely stunning.

Last edited:
Ok, Good news is that I've learned. I think the biggest improvement for me was to just keep telling myself....go light, go light. Less is more. Since my recent doozy with Z5, I've since bought a few more things from Zaino to see if I could get better results. I got Z2, ZFX, and some borderfree towels. My results were MUCH MUCH better. Going lighter, using ZFX to limit my overuse, and a proper buffing towel all added up to a much much deeper and cleaner shine. And just in case, I got some Z6 to help clean up residue in case I screw it up again. Now, if I could just figure out how to use ZPC effectively, I think I'd be set. I agree that the use of an orbital buffer is probably the way to go with ZPC. I am just really scared of screwing it up. I really dont know what I'm doing with a buffer, and using zpc seemed to almost add scratches, although this could just be my eyes playing tricks on me. So I've avoided it all together for now until I can either get someone to teach me how to use a buffer, or maybe get some practice on a cheaper car.

But overall, the shine on my black NSX is much better now. Z2 works wonders.

Now, if I could only get my car to shine like the one in Batmans post. Holy GORGEOUS. Absolutely stunning.

Since ZPC breaks down to finer "grain" size you probably didn't finish buffing it until it was broken down, hence the swirl marks. But yes, there really is no need to apply alot of pressure. For me the weight of the buffer was suffice.

You all are gonna think I am nuts but I used my electric buffer and Zaino Z-PC on my wife's glass top oven and it removed the pan scratches.

I was thinking of a warmer day when there is no rain.

March?

When you say swirl marks, you mean actual scratches right? Not just left over residue from the ZPC. If so, yes. I had little faint swirls everywhere. The paint is still much better off than it was from the start though, so I guess I can't complain too much. I did notice that the paint didn't look as deep after using zpc. I can only assume that this is also because I didn't buff all the way back. Some parts of the paint are amazing though. I just borrowed a porter cable random orbital from a buddy of mine and maybe when i get the courage to do this again, I will use it. But I want to practice on a dark colored car first to get the hang of it. I've noticed that it seems to be more abrasive during a hot day. Maybe its just me, but I applied it to the cool, shaded side of my car, and it turned out much better. the sunny side seemed to get more scratches/swirlys.

Anyways,
Batman is that your NSX? Either way, I am in LOVE with the paint. I want mine to look like that!!!

Last edited:
I'm getting a new fender painted soon, and am wondering how long I should wait before applying Zaino once again to my car. Of course, I can work around the panel if need be. a few weeks? a few months? Is there some way to tell if its cured enough to be safe to have zaino applied to it?

Batman, like I stated prior great work. Going to pic up some Zaino products this weekend. Still on the fence about buying the PC. Shouls I use a machine on my car or do everything by hand? Frank

Back