• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The 42 second engine swap

Looks kind of dangerous to me. You couldn't give me ten grand to be the guy lying under neath the car while they swing the engine around on a stick.

Last edited:
much easier to swap a carbureted engine which no engine harnesses to attach and reattach vs a efi engine and also this car doesn't seem to be equiped with power steering or a/c because there was no R & I of any of those items nor was there any draining and reattachment of the heating and cooling system.

When I lived in Austin for a brief time I remember seeing this group of guys removing an engine from a Monte Carlo in ~5 minutes. It was crazy. I didn't have much money so for entertainment I would watch people. These Mexican guys pulled up with a van to this car and started to work on the car. There were sparks from under the car from torches. Then they left. About 4-5 minutes pass and a tow truck pulls up. I am thinking.... well they must not have gotten the car going so they called a tow truck. The driver open the hood and does something under the hood. He then gets back in the tow truck, all this time I think nothing is a miss, then BOOM he just yanks the engine out of the car with the tow truck and he drives off with the engine swinging from the tow truck boom. I am just standing there like WTF.

When I lived in Austin for a brief time I remember seeing this group of guys removing an engine from a Monte Carlo in ~5 minutes. It was crazy. I didn't have much money so for entertainment I would watch people. These Mexican guys pulled up with a van to this car and started to work on the car. There were sparks from under the car from torches. Then they left. About 4-5 minutes pass and a tow truck pulls up. I am thinking.... well they must not have gotten the car going so they called a tow truck. The driver open the hood and does something under the hood. He then gets back in the tow truck, all this time I think nothing is a miss, then BOOM he just yanks the engine out of the car with the tow truck and he drives off with the engine swinging from the tow truck boom. I am just standing there like WTF.

did you just witness a street chopshop?

Back