• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1987 Buick Grand National VS NSX

Don't know.
Seen our share of this versus that threads, guess I still enjoy reading them!
Responding because I wanted one soooo bad for so long. Then, had a chance on one and now so glad I didn't launch for it.
Hard part about owning one is keeping it in your possession (too easy to steal).
The GNX has special allure due to very limited production #'s.
Ahhhh, the eighties :smile:

So what chance do you think an NSX has over a 87 GN??
Chance for what? 0-60, around the track, beauty contest, retained value, dependability, longevity?
You'd better get your asbestos underwear, someone might "toast you":wink:

There is someone in Las Vegas with both of those cars at his house. He is a driving instructor for HPDE classes. The grand national is faster in the straights for sure unless you have a high booster SC or turbo setup. Put them on a road track and the GNX won't last unless you fix the suspension.

He might be referring to interior quality and driving position. In that case, the nsx wins. Also stock a Grand National is not faster than a Stock NA1, but with a little bit of money put into it than its game over for the nsx ( in a straightline of course )

My cousin has a Grand National--actually a couple- well the main one has about 1,000 miles on it. It still has the protective covering on the bumpers.
He wouldn't let the dealer detail it when he bought it. At one point he was thinking of selling it----he also has TONS of parts.

I wouldn't group it as the site but rather this section.:frown:

You are right. Nothing against this site in general. Its just that I am an old man and I can only handle so many "can my NSX take an AMC Pacer" threads before I start to cry :frown:

I guess now that the NSX can be had for "$15k salvage a good buy?" from the younger, newer members I need to adjust my line of thinking.

Hahaha been laughing at this for a few mins. Its all relative to mods guys. Stock for stock you're talking 10+ years of technology difference. There is a guy whole dumped big $$ here at our local track...the thing doglegs all the way down the 1/4 mile and still runs low 10's. Remember people...if you're asking about cars that a valet wouldn't be excited about parking....probably not gonna do anything for us either haha. My integra would smoke my nsx in the quarter...but I wouldn't be caught dead jumping out of that car in a business suit or going to a nite club. I'd park down the street. These discussions are entertaining. Ill have to find the website that shows all the curb weights and quarter mile times. Ok found a site. Shows the 0-60 and quarter mile times. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231495

Last edited:
REMEMBER-It's not your Father's Buick-it's your Grandfather's! I can't fathom
posting the NSX and Buick in the same breath. Now , my old Giuletta is another story.

Believe it or not, last night I decided to do some detailing to my GN and NSX. Unfortunately, I was doing some wine tasting at the same time that got out of hand. Then went to my PC and one of my favorite web sites and made this post. Had I been sober, don't think I'd have made the post.

Now looking back at the responses, I got what I asked for...surprised you did not beat me up more. The other surprise was that Tim broke a record and only posted 6 words!!

So if I offended anyone, was not intended. These cars are insanely different. I have tuned the GN and is blazing fast in a straight line. Faster than $h1t of a stick. Now for the NSX, pure poetry, magnificent machine and an amazing ride. If I had to sell one you know which it would be.

Andrew

Drunk posting:redface: tsk tsk. Heck at least you are man enough to own up to it,unlike many of our other infamous booty-call posters:wink:

75 posts in 4 years? We forgive you. :biggrin:

how bout nsx vs viper or something more.......in its class you could say. I had to search the buick grand national to confirm what i though it looked like and at least you admit to being buzzed writting this. I mean looks compared to the nsx, it isn't even comparable lol.

Being the previous owner of 2 1987 GN's I have to voice my .02. Qualitywise the GN is not comparable to the NSX, I believe we've all established that. But, it was one of my alltime favorite cars. With some minor suspension/engine mods. it is a great driving very quick vehicle. Remember, it was the car Vette owners did not like.:wink: Simple/fast and looked great for it's time dressed in all black. Still a popular car among speedfreaks.

Being the previous owner of 2 1987 GN's I have to voice my .02. Qualitywise the GN is not comparable to the NSX, I believe we've all established that. But, it was one of my alltime favorite cars. With some minor suspension/engine mods. it is a great driving very quick vehicle. Remember, it was the car Vette owners did not like.:wink: Simple/fast and looked great for it's time dressed in all black. Still a popular car among speedfreaks.

Man Gn's and GNX's are extremely hard to find clean. I would rather have a clean typhon over the GN. Not the GNX though. Why did you sell?

Man Gn's and GNX's are extremely hard to find clean. I would rather have a clean typhon over the GN. Not the GNX though. Why did you sell?
Honestly back then GN's were still easy to find and not overpriced. I bought my second with 39,000 miles completey stock for $10.500.00. The same owner I sold it to was offered 30 grand by a local police officer {both friends of mine} 2 months ago but refused.

Believe it or not, last night I decided to do some detailing to my GN and NSX. Unfortunately, I was doing some wine tasting at the same time that got out of hand. Then went to my PC and one of my favorite web sites and made this post. Had I been sober, don't think I'd have made the post.

Now looking back at the responses, I got what I asked for...surprised you did not beat me up more. The other surprise was that Tim broke a record and only posted 6 words!!

So if I offended anyone, was not intended. These cars are insanely different. I have tuned the GN and is blazing fast in a straight line. Faster than $h1t of a stick. Now for the NSX, pure poetry, magnificent machine and an amazing ride. If I had to sell one you know which it would be.

Andrew

I got your record "right here"....:biggrin: (tied my record)

Last edited:
Back