• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Arp head stud torque ?

I am installing ARP head studs on my nsx engine block. What is the torque that i should apply?

TIA

Hi,
I torque them to about 95 ft-lbs using the ARP lube. But I also put steel threads in the block (TimeSerts). With out the steel threads I would not go any higher than about 80 or 85 ft-lbs. I also try to let the engine sit over night and re-torque everything again. Cheers, Shad

I also try to let the engine sit over night and re-torque everything again. Cheers, Shad

This Echoes what I told Shaw on the phone earlier , I just wanted to outline the re-torque procedure a little better , you want to loosen , re lube and then re torque each fastener one by one in the specified order.

Thanks Shad!

Hi,
I torque them to about 95 ft-lbs using the ARP lube. But I also put steel threads in the block (TimeSerts). With out the steel threads I would not go any higher than about 80 or 85 ft-lbs. I also try to let the engine sit over night and re-torque everything again. Cheers, Shad

Are the steel Inserts a requirement? What sort of boost/HP level do you recommend that this is needed. I'm planning a 500-600 build.

Are the steel Inserts a requirement? What sort of boost/HP level do you recommend that this is needed. I'm planning a 500-600 build.

I do the steel inserts on any forced induction engine we build (and most NA). I guess I have done the last step in torquing and had the threads pull out one to many times. For the cost of the kit ($450) and the time (about 3.5 hrs) to install them I see no reason not to do it. But if your engine has never been apart and the head bolts have only been torqued down once before, I am sure the threads would be fine. Cheers, Shad

Back