• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Boxster S or NSX?

For the money, S2000 is probably the best roadster you can get considering its almost 30k CAD less than Boxster S in Canada, I would much rather get a S2000 and supercharge it and get a set of nice 18" wheels. However, I remember some people told me they rather buy a Miata and turbocharge to beat the sh!t out of S2000 and still got some cash left. So..to each his own!

[This message has been edited by NSEX (edited 06 March 2001).]

Originally posted by NSEX:
For the money, S2000 is probably the best roadster you can get considering its almost 30k CAD less than Boxster S in Canada, I would much rather get a S2000 and supercharge it and get a set of nice 18" wheels. However, I remember some people told me they rather buy a Miata and turbocharge to beat the sh!t out of S2000 and still got some cash left. So..to each his own!

Getting back to the original question posted - BoxsterS vs. NSX.

I think they have 2 different feels as one is a Targa vs. the true convertible. In addition I feel the NSX is more comfortable for long drives as the cockpit in the BoxsterS is much smaller. At least it felt that way to me. So maybe a better question is what are you going to do with the car?

------------------
Hal Jones
Lake Oswego, Oregon
95T Blk\Blk SportShift

Hal,

If my CLK430 Cab provides any indication (2700 miles in 13 months), I'll probably just use the NSX (or Boxster S) for nice weather weekend rides out in the country with the Targa top off. No tracking of the car, just basically pleasure cruising on twisty backroads.

Since I have a convertible (the CLK), the fact that the NSX is not a true convertible doesn't bother me.

I'm leaning towards the NSX, but am now considering a used '96 to '98 993 Coupe rather than the Boxster S.

Therefore, I'm now looking at an NSX or a 993. Damn, I need to make my mind up...

Mike O, it may be a moot point since you are now considering a 993, but if you ever did want to do a time trial on a real road course, you'd have to put a roll bar in a convertible.

Regarding the comparison of the 993 vs the NSX, Although this may not seem important, I've grown fond of the Japanese passion that surrounds their cars. Germans seem cold and analytical about their cars (don't get bent out of shape, I'm german). Just visit a Hot Import Night or an Import Drag Event (NIRA or IDRC) and you'll see what I mean. That passion works its way into every piece of the NSX, the NSX aftermarket, and NSX Drivers themselves.

By the way, I used to be a Corvette guy and I still own a german car (Merkur XR4Ti) just to have fun at autocross events. But, the NSX driving experience is in a league all by itself.

Re: NSX vs. Boxter S

They are fun to beat at the track! :)

Seriously, my experience comparing the NSX to the Boxter S is:
Positives:
- looks better
- more 'exotic'
- quicker
- targa system is very well designed... I prefer it to a soft top or even hard top for convertibles due to better security and ease of use
- may be easier to keep up

Negatives:
- Nothing beats a true soft top on a nice day
- easier to slide around (if you're in to that kind of thing)

Re: 95-97 NSXes
97's added: 6-speed manual tranny, larger engine (3.0-3.2) resulting in better torque and hp, nicer wheels (polished vs. silver), strengthened AL panels, and I'm sure something else I've missed...

FWIW: I've owned a 95 targa...

-- Chris

------------------
Chris Willson
www.ScienceofSpeed.com
www.NSXClassifieds.com

A bit unrelated but...

To further illustrate dswartz's point about German engineering - happened to be reading the current "Christophorous" Porsche magazine today (which they still mail to me) - nice article touting the new new GT2 (sweet car!), but I had to laugh at this part:

"You'll be welcomed by uncompromising bucket seats upholstered in leather... there is no need for the luxury of power adjustments. Because nothing is needed to achieve a perfect position other than simple longitudinal adjustment...

If you don't accept this position, the GT2 is not for you."

I don't necessarily disagree, but jeez! talk about attitude on that last sentence!

Originally posted by Mike O:

Therefore, I'm now looking at an NSX or a 993. Damn, I need to make my mind up...

As previously mentioned, the boxter and nsx are not in the same class. enough said. you are getting closer with the 993, but the key word in that sentence is closer.

frankly, the 996 is more refined (obviously) than the 993, but I think the 993 is more fun to drive b/c the 996 is tweaked by computers too much getting rid of the oversteer we have grown to love in the 911's (personal opinion).

with that said, far enough off tangent, the nsx is far superior to the 993. a friend has a modified 993 and he simply can not keep up with me, track, auto-x, or spirited drives. he is my equal as a driver, we have proven that in karts. I can not achieve times in his 993 that I can in the nsx. it is a fun car to drive, but not as fun as the nsx.

if you want to get rid of the clk let me know.

------------------
Justin
'98 NSX-T Blk/Blk
o Comptech headers / exhaust / airbox
o Koni adjustable suspension w/Comptech springs and sway bars
o Volk TE-37 17/18” wheels

[This message has been edited by justin hall (edited 07 March 2001).]

Originally posted by Lud:
Mike O - I see you are in Nashville. There is a very good NSX technician (and enthusiast!) at Gary Force Acura named Barney Demonbreun. If you decide to buy an NSX locally, have him check it out for you. I'd also use him as my mechanic if I were in your area. Tell him I said "Hi!"

Well if he has the prime nod, then you can bet that I will be scheduling some work him soon also. Thanks for the tip!

Mike O, Nashville may be better than you think for finding one, I know that it is not too uncommon for them to have one on the lot every once in a while whether new, used or in service. I frequented them quite a bit before giving in to an M3. However,I did correct my mistake..

[This message has been edited by Lee (edited 07 March 2001).]

Nsxotic said:
Sad news...... I have a feeling that you'll be back to our community in about 8 months with another NSX..
biggrin.gif

came across my old post under a search!!! well it took 3 years but i am back :)

anyway to get my old user id back? I forgot my password and no longer have they email address...

Hi and Welcome,
If you want to turn heads, get the NSX. Thats my 2 cents.
I have a neighbor that has a boxter and they keep looking at my silverstone NSX.

There are also alot of boxters in NJ (Where Im at) Not much NSX at all. It really turns ALOT of heads.

Good luck with your decision.
Always best to drive one first.
Is there an exotic rental close by or in your neighboring state?
Rent one and try it out for the day or 2.

Take care,
Calvin

Mike O said:
Hi guys! I'm new to this forum, and wanted to ask everyone's opinion...

I just sold my '66 427/425 hp Corvette Convertible, and am considering buying either a new Boxster S or a '95-'97 NSX...

Hello. Welcome to NSX Prime. Since you have logged on to an NSX web forum, you can probably guess what most of us have chosen to drive. The NSX is certainly preferred here. ;)

I have driven the Boxster and Boxster S before and can say from experience that they are fun cars, but just not my cup of tea for what I wanted. Keep in mind, I have had Porsches before. Here are my quick observations about the Boxster S and the NSX-T:

Boxster S:

Good-- Fun convertible with decent power and wonderful brakes. Porsche makes the best factory brakes out there. Easy to fling through corners or cruise at high speeds and feel pretty confident all the while. It's a Porsche.

Bad-- The plastic rear windows are cheap for a car of this caliber and fog up quickly and easily. The blind spot provided when the top is up is HUGE. The seats are not very supportive in the turns, and over long drives are uncomfortable. Goes into the shop too often. You see Boxsters EVERYWHERE!!

NSX-T:

Good-- Ability to pop off the top when you want some sun, or leave it on when you want a nice coupe. VTEC is sweet to rev, and power is smooth. Seats and interior are wonderful, and comfy on long trips. Very reliable. Exclusive and exotic looking.

Bad-- The brakes, while good, are not up to Porsche caliber. The car is not a convertible, but this is only a downside if you are looking for a full on convertible.

Take what you will from that, but I hope it helps. Either way, drive both and buy whatever makes you happy. You will want to drive a 1997 or newer NSX though, since they have more power and a 6-speed gearbox instead of a 5-speed like the previous cars. Good luck!! :D

Apples and Oranges.....it all depends on what you are looking for. Here in California the Boxsters are a dime a dozen. Porsches are every where you look. I mean the high school kids have them parked in the school lot.

I can go a whole week or two and not see another NSX, amd I have a 1 hour commute each way, so that gives me some pretty good road exposure.

Aside from that, I am sorry Porsche owners, (and I have owned 8 of them so I think I am qualified to state my opinion) they are an entirely different class of car. The NSX feels as though it is made to be driven and it feels hand-built.

The Porsche drives nice but not up to the NSX's fit and feel. Also build quality is just not there. I found the interior of my last Porsche, a '97 993 C2S just lacking. Oh, I bought it new, so it was not like someone had abused it and that was why I had problems with it.

For my money, I am through with Porsche for now. Should they undergo a philosophical change in build quality, I may give them a look in the future, maybe. For now, the NSX is king in my garage.

Cairo

Damn...this is an old thread that's been resurrected (I originally started it back in '01).

I now not only own a red/black 25,300 mile '91 NSX (that I've added a set of Antera 309's, Bilstein shocks, and a Taitec GT Lightweight exhaust to), but also now have a red/tan 31,500 mile '95 Porsche 911 Coupe, and a very rare, 1 of 16 built, 50,900 mile white/mahogany '87 Porsche 911 Turbo Look Cabriolet.

Love them all, but may be selling the Turbo Look Cab...

Last edited:
Boxter S ??? Nah ~~~~~ Trust me, you won't feel any excited about the sport car's soul. However, if you're talking about 996 turbo, then it's different story. If I'm you, I will put 911 C4S into consideration which compares with NSX, not a Boxter S. My opinion is, Boxter S is more like comparing with S2000, since they are all roadsters. :p

Uhhh, you guys do realize that the thread is 3 years old!!!

He bought the car already.:p

I have owned/driven 2 911's and a Boxster before deciding to move on to an NSX. The NSX is far beyond what Porsche is capable of, er well make that willing to produce at a comparable price. If I had my druthers, an NSX would be my fair weather car and a Porsche would be my "beater". been there/done that. :)

Dennis has no toy now :(

A friend whom I haven't seen in a while visited today in his 99 Boxster. He has about 30K miles on it. He likes it, but you should have seen him when I took him into the garage. He was like.. OMG.. you have one of these! hehe it was fun to watch him oogle.

Knowing that I had a 928 before, he asked why I didn't buy another Porsche. I told him that I loved the 928. It was a very different car than the NSX and in some ways I liked it better. But in many other ways the NSX suits my style better, but the reason I didn't consider another P car was the high maintenance (start with 'insane' then add a couple thousand to it) costs.

He said "yes, I would not buy the boxster over again for the same reason" He said a simple oil change is over $200. I just paid $29 at my local acura dealer (I provided my own Mobil1). He wished he would have spent the additional $2K for lumbar support in the seats. He has had a history of small electrical breakdowns; faulty switches, motors, fuel computer)

I've never driven a boxster, but I'm just repeating our conversation of this evening. for what its worth.

I have owned 3 Boxster S's a 2000, a 2001 and a 2002. They are great cars. I did have one car in there (the 2000) that was a real problem car, but the other 2 were great (bought new) . They are a very diffrent from the NSX....some ways good, others bad.

While you won't be a stoplight killer in the 986 S, there is no beating the top down at about 60 degrees with the heated seats on high and a little SRV in the backround :)

Aaron

AaronR said:
...While you won't be a stoplight killer in the 986 S, there is no beating the top down at about 60 degrees with the heated seats on high and a little SRV in the backround :)

Aaron

...especially when you are on your way to the Porsche dealer to get your motor replaced. HAHA!! :D ;)

Meeyatch1 said:
...especially when you are on your way to the Porsche dealer to get your motor replaced. HAHA!! :D ;)

You can say that again....but only for the black 2000, the others were good cars....really :)

hejo said:

BoxsterS
HP 250
0-60 5.7

SLK320 AMG
HP 354
0-60 5.2

[This message has been edited by hejo (edited 02 March 2001).]

The SLK32AMG is a lot quicker than that... Mercedes quotes it at 4.8 0-60 and Car and Driver TV got it to 4.6. I've personally seen them run 12.9 @ 105-106 in the 1/4 mi.

The SLK32AMG is actually dangerous competition for the 911, forget the BoxsterS. The BoxsterS is a great little car and fun fun fun to drive, but it is slooooooow.

In my hugely slow slushbox 03 NSX my friend's Boxster S cannot walk away from me and if he is *slightly* off his game, I leave him.

Just as a point of trivia, an SLK32AMG with $7k in mods will easily hang with a Z06 in a straight line. The Corvette guys will laugh that you have to mod the Benz to hang with a Z06, but the final cost on the Benz will be $63k vs $53k for the Z06. So for only an extra $10k you get a Benz, with Benz quality and a hardtop convertible vs. the cheap materials and pedestrian design on the Vette. That little SLK32AMG is a damn good bargain...

Back