• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Boxster S or NSX?

Hi guys! I'm new to this forum, and wanted to ask everyone's opinion...

I just sold my '66 427/425 hp Corvette Convertible, and am considering buying either a new Boxster S or a '95-'97 NSX.

I just drove a Boxster S earlier in the week and was quite impressed. Driving a '95-'97 NSX will be quite hard to do here in Nashville, as there aren't any available for sale. Therefore, I need your help.

A few questions, if I may...

1) Any major service problems I should know about the NSX?

2) I've driven a '91 NSX before. How does the '95-'97 compare as to performance and handling. Any trade-offs in structural integrity due to the Targa top?

3) Any specific differences between the '95, '96, or '97 I should know about, such as increased hp, etc.?

Thanks!

1) Any major service problems I should know about the NSX?

The only "major" issue is how fast the NSX burns through tires. Otherwise consider it as reliable as any Honda. I've heard of a few NSXers who have 170,000+ miles and report no major servicing other than what is typically scheduled for a car of that age.

And you should talk to forum members Ilya and Flying Low...they both had Corvettes before discovering the NSX.

2) I've driven a '91 NSX before. How does the '95-'97 compare as to performance and handling. Any trade-offs in structural integrity due to the Targa top?

There is a bit more roll in the targas. I don't really have a problem with it, but those that do have solved the roll issues with aftermarket parts.

The '97 and later NSX-Ts have additional structural rigidity than the '95-'96.

3) Any specific differences between the '95, '96, or '97 I should know about, such as increased hp, etc.?

Aside from the additional rigidity, the '97 and later NSX-Ts have 20 additional horses from a larger 3.2L engine. The added weight is somewhat offset by thinner aluminum panels, but moreso by the tighter six speed gearing. I often recommend '97 or later targas to anyone who has to have the open-top experience. I personally woudln't consider anything less.

Be sure to check out the FAQ.

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/General/changesbyyear.htm

I can't really give you any thoughts on the Boxter-S as I've never driven one, but, living in L.A., Boxters are dime-a-dozen...NSXs are still quite rare.

If I recall correctly, the Boxter-S has slower 0-60 times, slower top speed, less hp out of a similar sized engine (and the Boxter-S is a few hundred pounds lighter than a NSX).

------------------
--akira3D ('00 NSX-T red/black #113)
"Reality is better than the dream..."

akira3d.com/nsx

[This message has been edited by akira3d (edited 01 March 2001).]

I know you probably expected to hear this, but..... "My God, it's not even close!!!""" Get the NSX!!!!!!!!! Actually , I'm serious. I've driven many high-end cars extensively and there really is no comparing.. Drive each and learn about each and you'll see huge differences!! Boxster is just another mass produced, 'cute' car. It's no hand-made, high tech, all aluminum masterpiece.
smile.gif

------------------
Todd Arnold
http://www.geocities.com/nsxcessive/index.html

Just my opinion, but I think the NSX looks 10 times better!!! But like I said just my opinion!
Regards
Shawn

There has been continuous mention of the enhanced rigidity of the 1997 and later Targas when compared to the 1995-96 models. Can anyone identify exactly how this was accomplished? The structural changes made to the 1995 Targas as compensation for the loss of the fixed-roof were apparently unchanged for the 1997 and later models. While stronger, more rigid aluminum body panels were used in these "second-generation" Targas, this permitted Honda to reduce the weight of said panels when compared to those of the 95-96 Targas while maintaining the same rigidity. There appears to be no other mention of structural changes made to the 1997 and later Targas.

Well maybe I can come in on a little less slanted bias since I don't own either one...yet. And remember I said MAYBE...

My opinion would also have to say get the NSX over the Boxster S. The 97 would probably be the best bet for performance reasons, unless you want a coupe, because of all the points that Akira3D gave to you. More HP, more structural strength, 6 spd...etc...etc.

Having driven both and many other cars for that matter, I would have to say that the NSX is far and above most of the competition. the only benefit the Boxster S has over it is for the money you will get a BRAND new car vs. a slightly older and used model NSX. However that wouldn't sway me one way or the other. NSX for me all the way.

As for what I think you should really do is...go drive the tar out of one of each. You should be ablel to get quite a feel for both and then be able to decide which one will fit your needs or desires best. Then you can come back and post about how we were all so right
wink.gif
. Just kidding, but the best thign you can do is give both a fair chance. Forget all the marketing junk and numbers and focus on how it feels when you are behind the wheel. That will be the only true way to get the answer you seek.

------------------
Got dat ol' vee six cilnder inder?

http://www.nextestdrive.net

These are two different types of cars.

The Boxster and Boxster S are convertibles - pretty high performance, but designed mostly for wind-in-your-hair sunny-day fun. Just like the Honda S2000 occupies in Honda's line.

The NSX and NSX-T are supercars, designed mostly for the ultimate in sports car performance. Just like the Porsche 911 occupies in Porsche's line.

Think about what you're looking for in a car, and get the car that fits your needs.

There appears to be no other mention of structural changes made to the 1997 and later Targas.

I'm fairly certain that there were more structural changes in the '97 T than just the panels.

In the FAQ, it mentions "new aluminum alloy in selected body areas to reduce weight and increase rigidity" as a separate item from "stronger, thinner aluminum body panels".

And another possible argument for the NSX over the Boxter. The NSX is Honda's top-of-the-line automobile...and is treated as such. The Boxter is more like Porsche's entry-level (to be fair, though, the Boxter-S is a step up from the Boxter).

I personally would prefer a S2000 over a Boxter...but, then again, I've never been much of a Porsche fan.

[This message has been edited by akira3d (edited 02 March 2001).]

Here's the best advice I can give:
Before you make any decisions on which car to get, make sure you test drive each of them. Let your driving experience do the decision making.

Boxster and NSX are 2 very different cars and I wouldn't even consider them in the same category.

I would say the a Porsche Carrera would be more of an apples to apples comparison with an NSX. The Boxster is a great car, but it's not really in the same league. It's a different car.
I loved my vettes because they were fast as hell and gripped like crazy right out of the box.
The things I enjoy more about my NSX than the vettes is the handling, engine sound, excitement of driving, awesome seating position, the exotic car look and feel, and a number of other things.
It took and NSX for me to not consider buying yet a 4th vette. The Boxster isn't something I even considered because (at least to me), it wasn't in the same class.
I like my car to look mean, not cute.
Just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions.
wink.gif

I'd pick S2000 over Boxster S. I've raced with other Boxster S in my S2000 and beat it.
Boxster S is an overpriced Porche (IMO), I know the S and standard Boxster are 2 totally different Porches, but for that much money, I would spend a bit more for a 996.
However, some people also think S2000 is an overpriced Honda and they would prefer to get a Type R..so it's just personal preference.
smile.gif

The Boxster and Boxster S are convertibles - pretty high performance, but designed mostly for wind-in-your-hair sunny-day fun. Just like the Honda S2000 occupies in Honda's line.

The NSX and NSX-T are supercars, designed mostly for the ultimate in sports car performance. Just like the Porsche 911 occupies in Porsche's line.

So what does that say about my MY2000 911 Convertible? :)

EDR
91 Black/Ivory #3012

Everyone,

Thanks for all the responses so far, as well as for all the private e-mails I've received (encouraging me to go the NSX route).

I'm going to go ahead and start looking in earnest for a super nice, low mileage '95 to '97 NSX Targa. If anyone here has such a car, and will sell it for cash for a "fair" price (somewhere between wholesale and retail), or who wants to trade for my 2700 mile '00 Mercedes CLK430 Cabriolet, let me know.

There's a white 98 6 speed with 4,100 miles on Ebay with a reserve of $44,600.

There's a 95 on Autotrader with 8K miles for $54K.

Best luck.

------------------
NSXY
95 NSX-T, 5 sp, Red/Tan, Stock, except Dunlaptya SP9000s

I will not repeat some of the other advise given which I think is really valid. Here's my additional 2 cents for what it's worth.

I think the NSX and the Boxster drive completely different. The BoxsterS to me felt more like a typical sports car where the NSX feels closer to a race car. The Boxster is probably easier to drive fast for the less experienced driver then an NSX however an experienced driver can push the NSX through the turns noticeably faster.

For me for about the same money as a BoxsterS is the SLK32 AMG. I think the specs are:

BoxsterS
HP 250
0-60 5.7

SLK320 AMG
HP 354
0-60 5.2

My wife has the SLK320 without the AMG mods. We looked at the Boxster and it felt slower. The brakes on the SLK320 are incredible and it definitely gets up a goes however not has fast as the NSX. The SLK has a lower throaty sounding exhaust.

Looks factor.. I had a BoxsterS driver checking out my car yesterday. I don't see all that many NSX drivers walking over to look at the Boxster. In our area like some one else said Boxsters are almost on every street corner. I see fewer SLKs and my wife has one of the few SLK320s in the area.

------------------
Hal Jones
Lake Oswego, Oregon
95T Blk\Blk SportShift

[This message has been edited by hejo (edited 02 March 2001).]

Mike O - I see you are in Nashville. There is a very good NSX technician (and enthusiast!) at Gary Force Acura named Barney Demonbreun. If you decide to buy an NSX locally, have him check it out for you. I'd also use him as my mechanic if I were in your area. Tell him I said "Hi!"

Lud,

Interesting you should bring up Barney Demonbreun. I just received an e-mail from him this morning, offering to try to help me find a customer of his who'd let me drive his NSX. I'll try and call him today or next week.

Glad I found this Board!

Interesting you should bring up Barney Demonbreun. I just received an e-mail from him this morning, offering to try to help me find a customer of his who'd let me drive his NSX.

That's not a coincidence. You received the e-mail from him because someone on this board told him that there was a forum member in his town looking to test-drive an NSX-T.
biggrin.gif

BTW there are several members of the NSX Club in Nashville, but all have coupes, not -T's.

Funny this topic comes up now. As i just traded in my 93 NSX for a 2001 Boxster S.

First off, someone made the comment that the S2000 was faster than a Boxster S....that must meant the driver of the S didn't know how to drive. I have long test drives of the S2000, base boxster, and S, actually i have been driving around in my friend's S2000 for the past week as he is in the UK right now.

S2000 buzzy as hell.....ZERO torque...especially under 4000 rpm. I like the way it feels as it is small and tight, engine is "light" revs easy and high. I love the gear box first drive i thought i missed the shift because it was so damn short! I think it is a very nice car but i would have to be my third as i would not be able to live w/ it everyday.

Boxster S.....it handles like a dream, doesn't push you into the seat like the nsx...gear box seems a bit on the long and mushy side....but there is something about the way it feels and the look of the interior....so porsche like
smile.gif
Okay so it is not going to get the looks like the nsx...not everyone is going come up to the car and wonder what it is.....but i am buying a car for me right? so who cares what "they" think. I thought the boxster s is also rolled around and built by hand? they have factory in finland and germany...i thought i read that somewhere.

NSX is a great car, if you haven't own one before it is probably best to purcahse one just for the "experience". Exotic car at a no so exotic price (used market)...however then you have to ask yourself, you rather have a new car made to your specifications or a used one that's sitting in some car lot?

I love the porsche buying experience, option city, i love how i am make this car mine and it is not likly someone will have my combo of option. I love how they built the car for me not just standard equipment. I even love waiting 3 month to get my car in june...as they always said....all good things comes to those who wait.

Originally posted by Tetsuo:
[BFirst off, someone made the comment that the S2000 was faster than a Boxster S....that must meant the driver of the S didn't know how to drive.
[/B]

The best 0-60 time for the S2000 published by a mag (can't remember which one) was right at 5 seconds, which would make it noticably quicker than a Boxter s. However, the time was a LOT lower than anyone else's and was due to several factors. They ran it on a cold day (cold air), with the sun out (warm asphalt) and beat the hell out of the clutch. Literally dropped the clutch while winding the motor out. It was at a drag stip with a sticky surface, so the car launched like a rocket.

In real life, I think the Boxter will win the hole shot every time.

The Boxster S and the S2000 have almost the same horsepower and weigh almost the same amount. I have a tough time believing that either car would have a substantial advantage in acceleration over the other, all other things (e.g. driver skill, conditions) being equal.

Re the S2000, I had one of the first ones delivered in Nashville, and only kept the car for about 2 months.

Personally, I did not like the car at all. Not enough torque, strange digital dash, and to drive the car like it was meant to be driven, you have to rev the heck out of it. OK for some, but not for me.

The Boxster S is a far superior car, in my opinion. More torque, superior handling dynamics.

BTW, whoever got the S2000 to run 0-60 in 5 flat must have dropped the clutch at 8000. Not something I particularly enjoy in order to achieve fast acceleration times.

on another note....does it seem like the S2000 is the only honda w/ lots of service bulletin items already?

sure i'll have another nsx in another 3 year maybe by then the 93 i had would be worth maybe 30K about the price of a loaded maxima
smile.gif

Back