• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Gas Tank

Hello NSXers, this Winter I forgot to top off my NSX gas tank(about half tank filled) and give her the gas stabilizer before snow fall. I know I can just start her up once every 2 weeks or buy a gas container and get some gas then top off the NSX with gas stabilizer but looking for some advices. Without topping off the gas tank, will gas stabilizer help in anyway?

Thanks everyone!:smile:

Re: NSX Gas Tannk

Gasoline has a relatively short shelf life. That is why we add stabilizer for long term storage.
Topping off the tank reduces the amount of air in the tank. In storage, as that air warms and cools, condensation forms inside the tank adding water to the fuel. So you have two different problems.
Adding the correct amount of stablizer will keep the fuel from separating and gunking up the works. Topping off the tank minimizes the water issue.
Best bet if you are not going to drive the car for an extended period is to top off the tank and add stabilizer. Remember to run the car to get that stabilized fuel into every part of the fuel system.
If you cannot do the above, at least stabilize the fuel. Many people will tell you that they have ignored these storage instructions for years with no problem in the spring. I prefer to "follow the book" and do it right. If you are going to store the car with a less than full tank, I would plan to change the fuel filter after running through the stored fuel in the spring.
My $.02

Recommendations are from cars of the past when fuel systems were open to the air, most cars sat outside year round and a busy gas station sold a few thousand gallons a month.

All modern cars have a closed fuel system so condensation from moist air in the tank is very unlikely to non-existent even if the tank is empty.

Don't worry about it your car will be just fine, just put the battery on life support and resume driving in spring.

Last edited:

I think you should be fine if you add the appropriate amount of stabilizer (ie. Sta-bil) to your tank. As posted above, the key is to run the engine a bit after adding the stabilizer to ensure that it makes its way through the entire fuel system. I believe that the fuel stabilizer also contains elements to remove water from the fuel.

Personally, I've seen stale fuel gunk up systems before, but haven't seen rust within a fuel system before. Not saying it couldn't/doesn't happen, just that I haven't seen it. Maybe someone can chime in with their experience.

Good: Add Stabilizer
Better: top off fuel and add stabilizer
Best: add stabilizer, top off fuel and run car until warm

The only year I didn't add stablizer, I had issues with a car until the 4th tank of gas was used. (it was a 1966 mustang. Needless to say, very different technology.)

I'm unconvinced that stabilizer and/or starting occasionally are at all useful (if not the opposite) with modern cars. I top off, but doubt it accomplishes anything (if I forgot I wouldn't uncover/re-insure to drive to gas station and correct).

Keep the battery healthy and enjoy your NSX in the spring.

I have neglected my NSX and have not driven her in nearly 5 months with less than half a tank of fuel. Does anyone have any advice on what I should do?

Should I add a couple of gallons of fresh gas before turning over?
Or should I fire her up and then top off the tank at the fuel station with fresh gas?
Or should I be worried and siphon out old fuel and replace with new fuel before turning over?

Thoughts?

Here in the north the nsx sits for 6 months, nothing to worry about just drive it.

This. I don't worry about it at all, and for the reasons Brian states above. I do tend to fill up before the winter storage, however. I also drive my NSX when we get a warm break during the winter and the roads are clear of salt/debris.

Here in the north the nsx sits for 6 months, nothing to worry about just drive it.

+1...I've let my NSX sit many times for 6 months as long as the battery is good...I've never had a problem.

Back