• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Public Service Annoucement: Odyssey batteries < PC1200 do not meet Odyssey warranty..

Public Service Annoucement: Odyssey batteries < PC1200 do not meet Odyssey warranty..

I recently performed a warranty claim on my PC925 on NA2 cars. To my surprise, Odyssey stated that the wrong battery was used for my car (98 NA2) despite the local salesman having recommended it. She said something about not having 40 LOAD AMP's....

The PC1200 is minimum battery, at least for NA2 (Power Steering), and I will admit, going on less is a big risk and lots of issues...

Just fyi..

Re: Public Service Annoucement: Odyssey batteries < PC1200 do not meet Odyssey warran

This is where you need the help of a good dealer , they surely could push almost any warranty claim through . It often happens in the motorsport world where parts are used outside of their intended application - I am pretty sure that most nsx folks would still choose a pc925 if they were told this is the wrong application and you may have warranty issues - that being said I have two things to say:

1) you could easily warranty this through an accomodating dealer.

2) 50% (at least) of odyssey warranty claims that we process result in the battery being returned after the dealer "chrages" it up - apparently they need a special charger and a certain process if allowed to drop below a certain level - ridiculous but seemingly true...

Re: Public Service Annoucement: Odyssey batteries < PC1200 do not meet Odyssey warran

I have gone through three PC 680's in the last 7 years. First one died after two years 6 months my fault no trickle charge in winter. Bought another one it lasted 23 months 14 days with a trickle charge in winter. That one was replaced since they have a two year warranty. I called them direct and they do recommend that you use their Odyssey brand charger only. They said it gives you more of a charge than any other charger. I just pull the battery now give it a full charge and leave it in the house for the winter. We shall see how long this on will last. I would call them direct if it's in warranty it should be replaced free of charge. Here is the charger I picked up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Odyssey-OMAX-6A...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5633db6763

Very interesting! I just received a 925 (per my request) as a replacement for my Optima red under warranty. Not sure if the shop installed it yet or not.

Where exactly is the requirement for a 40 amp minimum? In the manual or just recommendation? Odyssey's actual recommendation is PC1400.

I was intending to use my Battery Tender from BatteryPlus.

This is where you need the help of a good dealer , they surely could push almost any warranty claim through .
I had a warranty issue on my PC925 on my NSX. Without getting into the issue itself, the Odyssey folks were not so great about warranty coverage. OTOH the dealer that I bought it from - Portable Power Systems - was absolutely super about the whole thing, going way beyond what they could have done. And it didn't hurt that they also had the cheapest prices I could find when I was shopping for the battery.

I had a warranty claim also for my PC680. It took a while to find the right person to talk to, but they replaced it no problem.

They sent me a new one.

I'll see if I still have the contact information for the person I talked to.

I had an Odyssey batt way back when. It didn't hold a charge long enough for the minimal driving that I did. I have since owned the Optima Red Top from Costco and love their no hassle return/exchange policy. IMO, the weight savings is not worth it here unless you track the car anyway.

Jeff

I think Odyssey is trying to contain costs. The local dealer I worked with was a pain in the ass, but we were able to come to a compromise after I got Odyssey on the phone.

For those that were able to do succesful swaps, I would not assume that you will be able to do the same in the future if you have the 'wrong' battery.

Battery Plus has been quite helpful in resolving issues thus far - at least with Optima; and Optima was also helpful. I understand since Optima started manufacturing these in Mexico, they have had a few quality control issues.

Would still like to hear what the issues are with any of the Odyssey batteries, especially the PC925.

Last edited:

Interesting. Several people had problem with the 680. I have this model too and use a CTEK 3600 trickle charger which offers 14.7 V. Worked fine since two years and 8 months and I'm about to install one in another car as well. I'd expect it to hold between 5 and 10 years. Wrong?

Last edited:

jeez, I was going to buy one of these... maybe I'll go with Braille... are they any better? any experiences?

Well, since I've been replacing batteries in my car quite often lately, I was considering going with an Optima. However, I don't hear very many good things about them on this board so I'll just continue to get the same brand that I have been in the past.

Would still like to hear what the issues are with any of the Odyssey batteries, especially the PC925.
Based on my experience, the only downside I've had with it is that it costs more than many other batteries. (The warranty issue I had was determined to be caused by the failure of my 18-year-old battery charger.)

Interesting. Several people had problem with the 680. I have this model too and use a CTEK 3600 trickle charger which offers 14.7 V. Worked fine since two years and 8 months and I'm about to install one in another car as well. I'd expect it to hold between 5 and 10 years. Wrong?
Not wrong. Right. Actually, since you're using a charger on it, I'd expect it to last a lot longer than 5 years.

I'm currently using a battery tender on mine , thinking of looking for a ac/dc adapter that makes 14.5v to use on my pc1500

Some update. The 925 does fit the OEM black basket though it needs to be secured from the top - you can use the OEM bracket as in the picture. Not ideal but will do in case you need the flexibility to revert.

However, as some have noted, the Deltran Battery Tender Jr is not adequate as a charger/floater since it puts out only 0.75 amp. The Odyssey batteries need at least 2 amp and 3 amp is even better according to the manufacturer per my conversation with them. Here is their approved list of chargers (some are battery specific) with the amperage noted.

http://www.odysseyfactory.com/documents/ODYSSEYApproved12VChargers_000.pdf

And this for their approved models: http://www.odysseyfactory.com/chargers.html

Note that they tested only the Schumacker SC-2500A (probably the same as the SC-200A) which has a 2 amp, and rated for only trickle charging. The continued use of battery tenders with lower amperage will shorten the life of the battery and nullifies the warranty too since the PC1400 is the right one for the NSX.

Also, the Odyssey batteries need to be "charged" with some serious driving at least twice before they get to their optimum operational capacity/output - even though they come charged from the factory. I had the same cold start problem with my brand new Odyssey 925 that I also had with my Optima in cold weathers only. All misfiring codes diagnosed as most likely related to low voltage.

Will see if after driving it for an hour, and then using the Battery Tender Jr (at least for now) for 4 days has solved the issue or not.

Last edited:

have you look into the battery tender from wal-mart? schumacker or something like that..i just bought 2, it's 1.5amp for 20$..u can get the 6amp for like 30 i think..there is one higher for 50$...cheaper then Deltran..last i read, even Larry B is using schumaker battery tender/maintainer/charger..etc..

The Odyssey batteries need at least 2 amp and 3 amp is even better according to the manufacturer. The continued use of the lower battery tender will shorten the life of the battery
Not true and not true. I used the 1.5-amp Schumacher SE-1-12S charger on my PC925 for 17 years, and it always kept my battery perfectly charged. I replaced my previous battery after 10 years only as a preventive; it was still holding a charge and working just fine at that point.

For Odyssey Warranty Replacement contact this person. She handled my warranty and sent me out a new one immediately.

She works at corporate EnerSys. I forgot her title.

Cathy Mitchell
660-429-7551

Back