• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Autowave high performance harmonic balancer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need one of these, where do I order?

Just a little update on the dampers, Their weight is 6lbs 5oz, the factory 5 speed dampener is 8lbs 2 oz and the automatic dampener is 9 lbs 3 oz. We tested it on our shop car and made 5hp at the top. We also tested it on one of our customers high boost inter cooled cars and made 10hp threw the power band. We had this pulley produced to help with dampening in the harmonics of higher horsepower power plants, in the process we were able to make a little power in the process which was a BONUS. The customer reported back to us that the car feels much smoother all through the power band. Let us know if you have any further questions the first batch is sold out and were taking orders on the next batch. the new price is $685 plus shipping the retail price is $795.00

Ken, you may want to take some of your contact info off the pdf, buddy.

The mounting instructions state that the balancer is to be pressed on, any ideas on how to do this with engine in car? Would it harm anything if I used an impact to press the balancer on with the bolt?

photo_3_1.JPG
[/IMG]

photo_2_.JPG

photo_4_.JPG

Roger, Shane told me about a special tool they use to press fit the damper. I called that supplier and emailed them but they didn't respond.
Not wanting to keep waiting, I made my own set of tools to press fit the damper onto the crank. It's very simple. It consists of the following items:
* A piece of chrome molly tubing cut on a lathe to be a little longer than the well on the damper.
* Some blue masking tape on the outside of the pipe to make it match the size of the well in the damper (to center the pipe for even pressure).
* A 16mm x 1.5mm pitch bolt that is at least 4 inches long, fully threaded. (I couldn't find bolt with full threads so I bought 2 bolts and cut the head off one bolt. I welded 2 nuts together to form a coupler and I connected the 2 bolts together with this coupler.
* A 16 mm nut to press the damper onto the crankshaft.
* A hardened, small diameter washer to go under the nut to reduce friction.
* A large flat washer to press the tubing as the nut is screwed inward toward the crank shaft.

To use the tools I simply put the nut all the way on the bolt with the head. I then placed the small washer then the large washer. I then placed the tubing in the well in the damper. Next I screwed in the assembly of screw(s) and washers into the crank shaft. I held the head of the bolt with a vise-grip pliers that held itself against the A arm and I used a long 24mm wrench to rotate the nut and push the tubing, which will press the damper onto the crank.
Once the damper hit the end of its travel, I used an impact driver to tighten it.
Remember to use anit-sieze.

You might be able to get away with using the mounting bolt to pull the damper onto the crank but it is risky. I din't want to wear the threads in the crank or worse yet, break any threads due to partial contact. The benefit of the tools I used is that the bolt is fully screwed into the crank before you put any torque on the threads.

Last edited:
Thanks stevenlee, I made my own based on your very helpfull post, I used a stack of washers and the bolt I purchased a die and threaed the bolt all the way. It was easier for me as I do not have a welder. I took the car to work and it seems like the car sound different now. I could just be me though.

Last edited:
Roger59,

Glad it worked for you.
I was also perplexed when I realized that it needed a special tool to press fit.
Luckily the special tools could be very simple ones.

How the hell is this thing going to come off, after it gets seated with heat and all??? Is there a special tool to remove this pulley when the time comes?? Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Here is a picture of my balancer install tool. List of materials as per Stevenlee post:
* A 16 mm bolt 4 inches long (I purchased a thread die and threaded entire bolt lenght) and a nut to press the damper onto the crankshaft
* A hardened, small diameter washer to go under the nut to reduce friction.
* A large flat washer to press the tubing as the nut is screwed inward toward the crank shaft
* Substituted 12 1 5/8" washers for the lenght of tubing

Attachments

• Harmonic Balancer Install Tool.jpg
    Harmonic Balancer Install Tool.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 362
Last edited:
Hi guys

Discovered my oem harmonic balancer is smashed up and was wondering where else I can get the ati harmonic balancer

I'm awaiting email from autowave but the car is in the middle of 100,000km service

Thanks

I just found my drawing for those who need a 8 rib.

You can order this directly from ATI. This one was my design to support 600HP @ 8000 Rpm's It is a 8 Groove and has a recess for a crank trigger wheel if needed for an after market computer. This is the real deal no bolt on pulley's. You can see the part number in the drawing for ordering.
Ken

I just got my car back, and wanted to say that throttle response is such a big difference with instant response after installing the ATI High performance Harmonic Balancer.

Revs don't feel slack anymore. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back