• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

STMPO NSX Build - STMPO Race Products K20NSX Time Attack Race Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
The starting vehilce was a 1991 Sebring Silver automatic - front end mistake

Silver car 2.jpg silver car 3.jpg Silver car pic1.jpg

The nsx was then taken apart and prepped for Race Car Build R&D

front2 week 1.jpg front week1.jpg Misc. Pictures 013.jpg Misc. Pictures 012.jpg

Next step... remove everything not needed

fenders.jpg car clean.jpg car clean 2.jpg car clean 3.jpg

The next major desicion was how to keep the weight as low as possible with the best suspension avaiable... we started playing with motor idea's...

Help from Dal Motorsports website and emails and call with Rob Morrison pointed us in the direction as far as suspension goes...

DSCN5802[1].jpg DSCN5803[1].jpg DSCN5805[1].jpg

Dave Levy at Cedar Ridge fabrication answered the call on mono balls in all 12 suspension points along with non-compliant front clamps.

DSCN5807[1].jpg Parts_of_bearing_housing_assy-760x570[1].jpg

Jon Martin educated us on why to use JRZ's and the desicion was made.

b5378c42589c155926abb836fdc2121c[1].jpgb9210ac4d190cfea1b4b3e681b83b91f[1].jpgDSCF2793.JPGDSCF2796.JPG DSCF2797.JPG DSCF2798.JPG

Back to the motor... we have heard of amazing builds and some of them are so good.. it set the bench mark high.

DA has 2 impressive builds with high horsepower and low weight. FXMD has a monster we just helped recreate... LS7NSX has fabrication maximus... John@microsoft tracked a widebody and nearly won the season.

We decided to go a down a different road... our goal is a time attack championship... anything less would be failure.

For those that dont understand this part... please dont ask questions and comment on this thread... But we decided to put the most sophisticated honda motor made that was ever sold in a mass produced car made directly into our NSX... a fully built K20A2

k20nsx logo.jpg

Power yields will be in excess of 700 whp and 500 torque

Rev limiter will be north of 10k on the rpm gauge

Curb wieght goal is 2100 lbs... WET

Pics of motor mounted are here...

DSCF2571.JPG DSCF2802.jpg DSCF2804.jpg silver nsc race car.k20.jpg picks 002.jpg DSCF2807.jpg

a clip of the motor running in an NSX found here

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JoD0tNkan0w&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JoD0tNkan0w&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited:
Once we mounted the motor with custom made STMPO motor mounts... we had to focus on the drivetrain and fucntionality

Axles were made by cutting K20 axles and nsx axles in half... settting the angles at the closest possible stright line... fabrication the front and rear mounts... then welding the axles together to get sent off.

Yet another advantage to the stupid idea of mounting this honda 4 banger was allowing a lower placement of the motor... a striaghter axle line... and a lower center of gravity. :biggrin:

Current axle set up... 1000hp solid chromoly with rebuilt inner k20 joints and rebuilt outter NSX joints

DSCF2549.JPG axle difference.jpg DSCF2551.JPG

Today the car is a little more advanced than the pics shown.

The current motor looks like this

DSCF0818.jpg DSCF0819.jpg DSCF0820.jpg DSCF0821.jpg

The car will also show case our new STMPO Wizdom Widebody Kit to be released shortly

P1020061.jpg P1020063.jpg P1020067.jpg P1020068.jpg P1020069.jpg P1020070.jpg P1020071.jpg P1020072.jpg P1020073.jpg P1020076.jpg P1020074.jpg P1020075.jpg

wow!!!

I really like this build :D props!!!

One question, why not build a K24 turbo?

k24's increase displacement which works well on drag strips... the torque and drivability decrease along with the redline capacity

Regards

The current focus now is the chassis and cage. We plan on taking advantage of the fact the uni-body is alumnum and welding support throughout the chassis... this has been done on many JGTC and super GT nsx'

JGTCpic5[1].jpg JGTCpic6[1].jpg

The cage design will also mimic the super gt cars... we plan on "recreating " what we made for the FXMD RTA NSX.... a cage with only 3 bent tubes... the only reason these will be bent is because it would be impossible to build the cage without bending them

Notice in the pics attached... almost 100% of the tubes are stright and true... this creates the most ridgid design allowed

1) main hoop
2) driver forward member
3) passenger forward member

JGTCpic3[1].jpg JGTCpic4[1].jpg

We also plan to mimic yet another innovative cage style... also done by STMPO in the FXMD RTA NSX.

The a-pillars and the cage will be joined using a specialized CF material called Tape. The wieght savings combind with the aluminum/steel (chasis/cage) help eliminate the need for rivets along the body since only one material can be welded.

CF tape is a weave of both directions on one plain... it is twice the stregnth of nomal cf and after it has been hardened... becomes as strong as steel

DSC00036.jpg DSC00037.jpg DSC00038.jpg DSC00039.jpg DSC00040.jpg DSC00041.jpg DSC00042.jpg DSC00043.jpg DSC00044.jpg DSC00045.jpg DSC00046.jpg DSC00047.jpg DSC00048.jpg DSC00049.jpg DSC00050.jpg DSC00051.jpg DSC00052.jpg DSC00053.jpg DSC00054.jpg DSC00055.jpg DSC00056.jpg

Wow sounds like you've been busy! Look at all that extra space around the engine. I bet it'll be a helluva lot easier to work on. :biggrin:

Nice build!

what is your purpose for this car? Is there a series you want to compete in?

Last edited:
Ross,

Dang you guys have been busy. Did you hire a bunch more people since I was there just 30 days ago?

So many projects on the go and seems like you guys are just tearing through them. I saw the K20 car a it was in peices (kind of sort of looked like a car). In fact I have a picture on my iPhone of the K-20 car with a different color fenders and panels no steering and NO motor. It was on a pallet!!!!

Guys ... if you ever get a chance to visit Ross and the guys at STMPO in Tempe, AZ, I encourage to do so. They are a bunch of cool cats and he has NSX stuff that will just blow you away!

Keep up the great work and can't wait to see this project finished.

Who's going to drive this car? Need a Pilot?

Wow sounds like you've been busy! Look at all that extra space around the engine. I bet it'll be a helluva lot easier to work on. :biggrin:

Nice build!

what is your purpose for this car? Is there a series you want to compete in?

Thanks guys... were doing our best to get involved with as many RTA"s as possible.

The K20 needs to be figured out still... the engine bay space is amazing... where we are headed is very complex but we have our ducks in a row.

Project updates will come in short time frames consistanly over the coming weeks so stay tuned.

Ross,

Dang you guys have been busy. Did you hire a bunch more people since I was there just 30 days ago?

So many projects on the go and seems like you guys are just tearing through them. I saw the K20 car a it was in pieces (kind of sort of looked like a car). In fact I have a picture on my iPhone of the K-20 car with a different color fenders and panels no steering and NO motor. It was on a pallet!!!!

Guys ... if you ever get a chance to visit Ross and the guys at STMPO in Tempe, AZ, I encourage to do so. They are a bunch of cool cats and he has NSX stuff that will just blow you away!

Keep up the great work and can't wait to see this project finished.

Who's going to drive this car? Need a Pilot?

lol... Darrin... you know I get 4 times the out-of-state traffic than I do walk in...lol

We have another build that I will post as soon as the moderator moves the last build post on the red RHD back into the build thread.

and we got the driver covered but we apprecieate the offer... He is signed on... and ready to go as soon as the cars done. Probably a new name on this forum... but not a new name to the podium, world record holder, first to accomplish great feats in history driver

Regards

Amazing project. The K20 should be a lot cheaper to replace and the change in weight distribution could be interesting (in a positive way). How do you plan on using the unicorn snorkel?

This reminded me of an old Honda-Tech thread.
Honda-Tech

Last edited:
Amazing project. The K20 should be a lot cheaper to replace and the change in weight distribution could be interesting (in a positive way). How do you plan on using the unicorn snorkel?

This reminded me of an old Honda-Tech thread.
Honda-Tech

lol... if you look on hondatech hard enough... you can find our teaser too...

The best of the best have spoken of this... full-race / hasport / locash.... only we didnt talk about it... we did it.... Locash will actually be the tuner.

Hasport wired the car up and earned their name on the car...locash the same after the tune

It was hilarious... BRIwire (who makes 100% of Hasport's conversion harness') made the motor run on the first start. They have a harness to put almost any honda motor in any other honda... but when he came to the nsx... he was cursing quite a bit... I fell over laughing after I came into the shop and said... how it's coming...

He looked at me with the NSX manual and said... how is it coming... how is it coming... ... this f$cking car has a 5 speed with TCS... honda's dont have 5 speeds with tcs... thats how its coming....lol

Brian is a wire genious though... I owe him personally for what he did.. I even gave him a set of NSX seats to mount in his 1987 EF Wagon....

The set up will be amazing.. the turbo will blow directly over the center of the engine into an ATA innercooler. The intake manifold will be made with cnc'ed runners and the Tbody pointed directly into the air (north).

the charge piping including the innercooler wont exceed 32 inches.... The radiator mounted in the trunk and all holes in the front bumper filled... aka - perfect aero.

We are excited...

Thanks for looking, coments and your support.

reagrds

stay tuned

cf fan shroud for the rear mounted Ron Davis Radiator

P1020148.jpg P1020149.jpg

bolt on mounting locations for the Aluminum front chasis support.... the entire 6 point front chasis support will weight less than 4 lbs

P1020150.jpg P1020151.jpg

your amazing as always Ross
those arizona boys should start to recognize and start stoppin by to buy stuff soon enough

after all....u were able to get some dumb ass from TX to fly out there cold turkey

thanks again for everything you do for us man

Good job dude.....keep the cool stuff coming.....:smile:

Man it's good to see (project K-Momo:biggrin:) come to life, can't wait to see it finished.

U da man dude........U should install a big ass turbo in all that extra space.....

I know where u can get a trans for that thing!!! LOL:wink:

U da man dude........U should install a big ass turbo in all that extra space.....

I know where u can get a trans for that thing!!! LOL :wink:

lol... That tranny's going in my daily driver.

I figured we would educate everyone here on why this swap makes sense as people reaD thought it rather than a huge explanation up front.

There are tons of benifits to this.... to much to throw at everyone at once.

So now the tranny has been mentioned.

The k20 has been placed in every Honda car sold since 2002.... off the top of my head...

civic, crv, accord, oddessy, rsx, tsx

that’s 6 cars... lets say 2 models during that time frame. and 6 others made jdm. 18 total cars... k20 or k24

Now when building a tranny we get a custom build the gear ratio's with the potential of 18-22 gears on 1-5 and a hand full at 6th gear.

BTW - the gears themselves are coming out of MASS PRODUCED VEHCHILES… like MAJORLY MASS PRODUCED VEHICHLES

This build is amazing. As far as a k20 swap for guys out there that have a donor car..or a fully
Built k20 laying around...is there a "swap kit" you could produce? Or is this staying a one off
Unit? This built excites the heck out of me...I can't wait to hear about your first time at the track
And first unveiling "hood pop" so awesome.
Congrats guys

Bill

we should be selling tickets for the roll out!!!!

I'll fly in for sure....u know that

I can see it now "THE LARGEST HONDA GATHERING EVER IN ARIZONA"!!!!!!

This build is amazing. As far as a k20 swap for guys out there that have a donor car..or a fully
Built k20 laying around...is there a "swap kit" you could produce? Or is this staying a one off
Unit? This built excites the heck out of me...I can't wait to hear about your first time at the track
And first unveiling "hood pop" so awesome.
Congrats guys

Bill

We did this this to offer a more "exotic and cost effective" modification to the NSX

The swap will be available to owners... were on the fence right now trying to decide whether or not were gonna keep making nsx parts.

If we do.... the current projected numbers are this

View attachment k20nsx peliminary pricing.pdf

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back