• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

transmission serial number

I just purchased a 1992 nsx with transmission serial number S4SP-1000011. I've called acura and they can't tell me what year this transmission came from or if this is infact the transmission number. I know that 91-92 came transmission serial number starts with J4A4-1000001.

can someone on here tell me if this is the transmission serial number.

thanks

I think you got the wrong number. :smile:

yeah thats the wrong number, just look at the transmission and you can see the plate with the numbers cant miss it,

and the Vin has Nothing to do with the Tranmission serial numbers, as the NSX were made they got what ever transmission was next in line on the assembly line.

I've attached a pick of the transmission serial number. according to the service manual this is where the transmission serial number should be. my serial number doesn't start with J4A4-xxxxxxx but instead it starts with S4SP-xxxxxxx. I've search the forum and nobody have this strings of serial number. could this be a replacement transmission for the snap ring problem or a JDM transmission?

any help is appreciated.

thanks
dscn2628p.jpg

I was just going to say , maybe a warranty replacement or a JDM tranny?

I have a similar number as well. mine is SR8M-5000157 for my 92 nsx.

how come there is no information on this forum on this type of transmission number?

guys is your NSX an Automatic? I cant find shit on those numbers for NSX transmissions, my only thought would be they are replacments for a possible snap ring issue. but dont quote me. when I typed in NSX tran SpS4 3 sites came up 2 in Japanese, and 1 in Thai I couldnt read them and there were no car pics, but one site said something about Alfa Romeo cars. I dont know what that meant though. sorry

you can call you local Acurta dealer and see if they can look up your Vin to see if it ever had a replacement Tranny put in. not much help sorry

you can call you local Acurta dealer and see if they can look up your Vin to see if it ever had a replacement Tranny put in.
No, you can't. I mean, you can call them, but they can't look that up. Most dealers only have access to work done at their own dealership, and won't be able to tell you whether or not a replacement tranny was put in at some other dealership. They can also tell you whether work was performed (nationally, at any Acura dealership) as part of a recall campaign, but there was never one of those for the snap ring problem.

Its not JDM that I'm aware off?

My own NSX is a JDM car and has the usual J4 serial number, I also have another JDM NSX in for some work and I just checked that and its also J4, and I have a UK NSX in for some work and it also has a J4 number.

Also interesting to see the sticker is the opposite way round to the usual J4 sticker.

Could it possibly be a Honda Rebuilt/recall transmission and thats the serial stamp they put on after the build?

Not sure if this is worth a try, but maybe take a closer look and see if the sticker peels off and another underneath???

Its not JDM that I'm aware off?

My own NSX is a JDM car and has the usual J4 serial number, I also have another JDM NSX in for some work and I just checked that and its also J4, and I have a UK NSX in for some work and it also has a J4 number.

Also interesting to see the sticker is the opposite way round to the usual J4 sticker.

Could it possibly be a Honda Rebuilt/recall transmission and thats the serial stamp they put on after the build?

Not sure if this is worth a try, but maybe take a closer look and see if the sticker peels off and another underneath???

no its just one sticker on mine. very clean too and not messed with looking.

After a quick search the S48M number seems to refer to a rebuild kit

http://www.importdrivetrain.com/manualtransparts.htm

Click the link a scroll down you will see the NSX listed, even J4A4 is there.

Cant see anything for the S4SP yet.

EDIT: Maybe not a rebuild kit but looks to refer to the year the transmission changed?

J4A4 listed as 1991 to 94
S48M listed as 1995 on, however they list a few different types for years as the number after the M seems to change

Last edited:
Hate to bring this thread back from the dead, but...

On the my 91 MT I just purchased, I made sure to check the transmission number before purchase to determine if it is in the snap ring range. My transmission starts with the S4SP as well. I don't recall the numbers afterwards, but I can check when I get home.

I didn't press the issue at the time, because I figured that if it is not in the range, then it's not a problem (I hope). But, now that i'm getting more familiar with the car, does anyone have any new light on the reason that a few of these NSX's have the S4SP number instead of the J4A4 number?

There aren't many mysteries that NSXPrime has not solved, but this is still one of them. I don't know if its a good thing or a bad thing that I'm 1 of 2 owners who have posted their transmission numbers starting with the S4SP prefix...

My strong suspicion is that is a warranty replaced transmission case for a snap ring fix.

Hmmmm.. maybe a Canada transmission? Or, did the dealer replace the Serial # sticker when they did the repair (kind of like how they do when they go from R12 to R134)? Most of those repairs were done in the 90's, so we'll probably never know...

Not sure, we need a pic with the S/N they are refering to above;).......

My strong suspicion is that is a warranty replaced transmission case for a snap ring fix.

I hope so. It's just surprising there are so few affected, and so little documentation. It makes me wonder if there are any other differences with my transmission...

Ok guys, I snapped a pic of the transmission number on my 91: S4SP-1000034, here's the pic:

Trans_Number.jpg

As far as we know, buster2 has #11 and I have #34 of these mysterious transmissions. I agree with the theory that these were possibly factory replacements for snap ring range transmissions. Maybe they were caught before leaving the factory, or recalled, or something like that. Funny there's no documentation anywhere and a seemingly rare number of units (at least 34?)

Back