• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Silver State Classic Challenge

Hello everyone. I'm not exactly new to the forum but I'm more of a avid reader than poster. I'm finally taking the dive and checking off one box on my Gear-Head To-Do List. I'm entering my 1995 NSX-T into the Sept. 2010 Silver State Classic Challenge in the 110mph class. Has anyone competed in this recently? Any real big tips for this event? Any other NSX'ers going? I'm really excited as I'll be home for a month from Afghan to run the rally. Thanks!

I've never done it, but I've certainly thought about it. It seems like a moderate speed group like the 110 mph you are entering would be a good introduction to the event.

Good luck.

Thanks for the awesome car Cody! I've had so much fun with it! I can't wait to hit up the Mario Andrette Race School for a day w/the NSX. Then drive it through the desert for 90 miles at 110 mph.

Hi Will,

I've been running these events for some time, and I plan to be at the September event as well. Let's plan on getting acquainted there - you'll find that the people are very welcoming.

Here is a website for specific advice:

http://www.orraid.com

You'll have fun at the driving school in Las Vegas, and then you'll have even more fun running the event. By the end, you'll want to go in a much faster class, especially with the NSX, which is an ideal open road racing car.

I can help you with pace notes, timing hints and stuff like that. I can even send you a CD with a video of the entire course at speed. Let me know what you need.

All the best,

Wow that is a great website! Thanks alot Tom! As I will be going Solo I really like the idea of the "HUD" w/the plastic transperancies. Good luck this month in your rally! I would love to get a CD to study from before I go. I know you were having problems w/PM'ing so let me know the best way to contact you via email so I can send you my mailing address. Thanks for all the help and can't wait to met up with you in Sept!

Hello everyone. I'm not exactly new to the forum but I'm more of a avid reader than poster. I'm finally taking the dive and checking off one box on my Gear-Head To-Do List. I'm entering my 1995 NSX-T into the Sept. 2010 Silver State Classic Challenge in the 110mph class. Has anyone competed in this recently? Any real big tips for this event? Any other NSX'ers going? I'm really excited as I'll be home for a month from Afghan to run the rally. Thanks!

Thanks for your service!
Say "Hi" to Mad Dog and the Pantera crowd. I'm sure he's a former Army-SecOps guy.

Hi TomCat,

Mad Dawg has two Purple Hearts from Vietnam. One time when he was recuperating in the base hospital, he went AWOL. Turns out he went back into the jungle to re-join his unit. I'm privileged to know him.

I know Mad Dawg and his family for 10+ years, he's a brother for sure.
Tell him Coz said hello...

Hi TomCat,

Mad Dawg has two Purple Hearts from Vietnam. One time when he was recuperating in the base hospital, he went AWOL. Turns out he went back into the jungle to re-join his unit. I'm privileged to know him.

Last edited:
Hi Will,

I've been running these events for some time, and I plan to be at the September event as well. Let's plan on getting acquainted there - you'll find that the people are very welcoming.

Here is a website for specific advice:

http://www.orraid.com

You'll have fun at the driving school in Las Vegas, and then you'll have even more fun running the event. By the end, you'll want to go in a much faster class, especially with the NSX, which is an ideal open road racing car.

I can help you with pace notes, timing hints and stuff like that. I can even send you a CD with a video of the entire course at speed. Let me know what you need.

All the best,

Hey, Tom. I am looking into doing this event this year, and any preparations or advice that you could assist me with would be greatly appreciated. Especially if you still have a video of the entire course at speed in the NSX. I take the event seriously, and would like to return home to my family in one piece. :)

Hi Mitch,

Good to hear from you! The next event is just 2 months away. Send me your mailing address, and I'll send you a CD of my in-car video for the entire route along with my pace notes. As a first-time entrant, you'll be limited to a "tech speed" (maximum speed permitted) of 124 mph, so it will be very safe - almost to the point of boring for parts of the run, but you'll still have a great time. If you have extensive racing experience, you may be able to petition to enter a higher speed class, but the officials don't seem to be allowing that recently. You can contact me at [email protected].

All the best,
Tom King

I want to do this event to. Keep me posed if you do go. I have never do it either looks like fun. Where you going in Sept?

I've been wanting to do it for a few years as well with my Dad. I've just been too lazy to sign up. I think I'm in this year.

If we could get 5 NSX entries, we could form an all-NSX team in September for the 25th anniversary of the Silver State Classic Challenge. There have been a few NSX entries over the years, and I always run the event, and even Hrant threatens to come out and play sometime. What do you say we try to get five cars into the September event?

Send me an email if you're interested. I can definitely help organize things.

I was thinking about heading up from Phoenix, was looking into the Silver State last year.

I think Army LT is from Tucson (you still based down that way?)
(thanks for your service too :)

An NSX team is certainly possible, there are enough owners within a one day drive that like to play.

OK, guys, if you all get serious we can do this! We can have up to 10 on one team, and that would increase our chances of doing well in the team competition. Here are the interested parties so far:

RedWings (Phoenix)
ryneen (LA)
g3driver (LA)
Meeyatch1 (midwest?)
maybe Hrant???
Definitely myself

So send me an email TomKing123 at aol dot com and I can get you more information.

OK, guys, if you all get serious we can do this! We can have up to 10 on one team, and that would increase our chances of doing well in the team competition. Here are the interested parties so far:

RedWings (Phoenix)
ryneen (LA)
g3driver (LA)
Meeyatch1 (midwest?)
maybe Hrant???
Definitely myself

So send me an email TomKing123 at aol dot com and I can get you more information.

The September event looks doable for me.

hey everyone! The Silver State is a great experience and would recommend it to anyone at least once. It's more than just the race and it's four or so days of small get togethers and just overall fun gearheads to visit with. Gail is a fantastic lady to get to know. I'm hoping to get my car back, just sent it to Cody at LoveFab to get the engine rebuilt with forged pistons :biggrin: so hopefully it's back in time for the SSCC. But I am debating going to the NSXPO since it's a short drive from Kansas and I've never been to one yet...yeah I just got stationed at Ft.Riley so I was in Arizona for a little bit. If you have any questions let me know or Tom King was my go-to guy for questions when i was a "rookie" lol. I might be interested in doing the NSX team though. Keep me posted!

We should contact the organizer with the final car count and see if we can get a "team" or discounted pricing. I know that I will attend for sure.

Hey Will ("armyLT" - but weren't you already a captain when we met?) - Nice to hear from you! It would be great to see if the organizers would make you the Grand Marshall of the parade again!

It's definitely a good time, and we do some good for the folks in Ely, Nevada as well.

Anyone with an NSX who signs up (http://www.sscc.us) should send me an email, and I'll organize the team and get it registered. But I need suggestions for a team name! One of the Invaders teams with German cars uses the "Axles of Evil" team name, so now you know the standard we have to meet.

Back